Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-machine-photos-t130994.html)

grant15clone 05-15-2013 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by craftiladi (Post 6065050)
If you are reffering to the yellow brother I post awhile back-mine is a Brother Galaxie 1361, sorry I haven't investigated anymore then that. I haven't been able to get it run smoothly so it sorta got pushed to the side for a while but now you have brought up I think I might attempt to work on her again.She runs for a few minutes then the hand wheel stops turning, motor still runs...open to suggestions, please.

If the foot controller or motor is not too hot, I would invest in some Tri-Flow oil. It sounds like it has oil in there that is still gummy or you missed an oiling point or two.
I also agree with your response about the machine prices. It all depends on where you live. A friend of mine has a cabin in a vacation spot a good distance from his home. Machines are cheap up there and he has picked up a few and brought them back and sold them here where they sell for a bit more. I should load up the car and go to New York.:D
~G~

craftiladi 05-16-2013 06:20 AM

Brother Galaxie

Originally Posted by grant15clone (Post 6065074)
If the foot controller or motor is not too hot, I would invest in some Tri-Flow oil. It sounds like it has oil in there that is still gummy or you missed an oiling point or two.
I also agree with your response about the machine prices. It all depends on where you live. A friend of mine has a cabin in a vacation spot a good distance from his home. Machines are cheap up there and he has picked up a few and brought them back and sold them here where they sell for a bit more. I should load up the car and go to New York.:D
~G~

Grant thanks so much for the advise, I have let the machine sit for awhile after I oiled it, I will have to go back and see if that helps. Thanks again.

grant15clone 05-16-2013 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by craftiladi (Post 6067039)
Grant thanks so much for the advise, I have let the machine sit for awhile after I oiled it, I will have to go back and see if that helps. Thanks again.

It often helps to be patient. I call it putting them in a "Time Out". If a machine is seized up, I just oil it all up and let it sit for a while. I hear that heat from a blow dryer can help things along too.
~G~

Quiltergrl 05-16-2013 07:10 AM

The Singer 66 is just beautiful. Does it work? Do you use it?

craftiladi 05-17-2013 03:17 AM

It often helps to be patient. I call it putting them in a "Time Out". If a machine is seized up, I just oil it all up and let it sit for a while. I hear that heat from a blow dryer can help things along too.
~G~

Grant, these lil old ladies [ sewing machines] are teaching me patience's-lol

miriam 05-17-2013 08:13 AM

never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry...

craftiladi 05-18-2013 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6069200)
never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry...

Oh Miriam, so very true...as I approach a machine I need to work on I say to it " now I am going to give you alittle love today and we will get along" lol

miriam 05-18-2013 06:21 AM

I like the idea of time out with the Tri-Flow. That one cracks me up.

ruby2shoes 05-18-2013 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by craftiladi (Post 6068617)
It often helps to be patient. I call it putting them in a "Time Out". If a machine is seized up, I just oil it all up and let it sit for a while.
~G~

Wish I'd thought of this trick; groan......After cleaning and oiling my latest 99 it made the most hideous graunching noises when I tried to run it. I was convinced it had seized up big time so I rushed it to a mechanic who works on vintage machines with the feeling of impending doom and disaster upon me. Approx. 10 weeks later (yes, blooming 10 weeks and 2 phone calls later), I collect my machine, pay my bill (groan) only to realise that it just needed to "sit" and soak up its' new oil and happiness for a while. On the up side, the machine did get a "once over" and the belt adjusted but................

Windblown 05-18-2013 05:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
New to QB and to treadle machines, just got my first one[ATTACH=CONFIG]414313[/ATTACH]
A Singer 66-1 1922 G9281876 with a booklet and a few feet and 8 bobbins. I need help getting the belt off the wheel so I can put the head down. I moved the belt shifter but it did not lift off the wheel?
Thanks,

~ Karen