Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quilt binding width questions

Blog Entries
    I also machine bind mine...I use 2 1/2 in strips and fold it in half. sew to the back side...then fold over to the front and machine stitch using a decorative stitch.

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
    I also machine bind mine...I use 2 1/2 in strips and fold it in half. sew to the back side...then fold over to the front and machine stitch using a decorative stitch.
    If I am understanding correctly, once the strip you cut is folded in half, basically you have a strip about 1 1/4" wide that is sewn on and them folded over the edge of the quilt?

Elaine

Blog Entries
    yup, it makes the perfect size.
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    If I am understanding correctly, once the strip you cut is folded in half, basically you have a strip about 1 1/4" wide that is sewn on and them folded over the edge of the quilt?

Elaine

Blog Entries
    I like 2 1/2 in wide binding. But, I have used 2 inch binding on occasion. I usually sew on by machine and hand stitch down on the back of the quilt.
    My avatar is my first grandbaby!! Brantley 10-2-12
    **QB Monthly Bee Block Swap Theme (5-27-14)*
    **NEW** Trees, Think Fantasy, Think Enchanted, Think fairys and woodland animals. Think brighter fabrics. (Nothing pale or muted.) **TREES** Any kind of block, pieced, embroidery, or applique, your choice.

I use 2.75" and find that works best for me. I alter that depending on the design situation and the thickness of the quilt. I think that if you are binding a scalloped border, a narrower binding will be easier to apply. It is all a matter of personal preference.

Here's a link to a tutorial for binding. I think it's what you're looking for.

Better Binding Basics

I usually cut my binding at 2 1/4". I do NOT cut the batting and backing until the binding is sewn onto the quilt front. I line up the raw edges of the binding with the edge of the quilt top and sew 1/4" seam. Then, I trim the batting/backing to about 3/8" from the sewn line. This ensures a nice, full binding.
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

Blog Entries
    My binding width depends on the quilt design. Some of my quilts feel more balanced with a wider binding and some I prefer a skinnie binding. I machine sew my bindings to the front and hand stitch to the back. In the last year I have switched to using only bias cut binding solely. I just prefer the way it hugs the quilt edge over straight of grain cut binding. Just my personal preference as there is no reason to use bias binding on any quilt other than one with curves
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I don't consistently use any specific width. I look at the project and decide what I think would look best and that's the width I make for that quilt. Sorry, not much help here!

Vat
    I love narrow bindings. I like a finished 1/4 inch binding. Therefore , I cut my fabric 1 7/8 inches. Fold it in half and sew it onto the front with a scant 1/4 inch seam. I don't understand where all you ladies put all that fabric. Or why you waste so much fabric. Whatever works for you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast