Sewing Machine Petting Zoo

Old 10-26-2014, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

Well the SCA event seemed disorganized and confusing to me. I did a class in cleaning out sewing machines & did a lot of talking all day. DH says he showed off the long bobbin with the clear cover several times and it went over nice. I think there is now one barn Singer 27 that will be rescued and put into use. The last hour we let kids descend on the petting zoo - I got cornered by somebody (argh) so did not have a good handle on things so it may have been wild. Let's say there was nothing unmanly about a bunch of little boys using sewing machines. The HC attachments are more fragile than steering wheel spinner knobs IMHO. If I ever do it again it will be all steering wheel knobs. (The Burdick was a huge hit.) My DGDs showed the kids what to do and in one case, Miss M swiped his sword and ran him around the yard for a time - she would slay any dragon.... Prior to that, there were a couple little girls that really got a chance to test out all of the machines and learned a bit about sewing. One lady decided she had good control for the first time in her life sewing with a HC. Electric machines got NO attention NOR the treadle. I guess if you have it at home... Steve, if you take those machines of yours anywhere, you need to have a minimum of a weeks wages on it... BUT at least there is some awareness.

The event had a little corner with computerized sewing machines... It was like a line in the sand...

Steve, as far as a tips jar - someone snuck an extra sewing machine on our truck as we were loading up.... in a table... I think the guy 'worked' on it... A new tension may solve it's immediate issues...

They had a calligraphy class and Lovie went. Miss M went to a sausage making class and a fabric burn test class. (I used to do burn tests on fabric until my youngest son did a burn test on a cannon fuse in his bedroom... he couldn't get it out so the carpet had an accidental burn test...)
Old 10-26-2014, 02:56 PM

Sounds like an interesting if not chaotic event. I couldn't figure it out from their website, were there booths selling things or just classes and demos? Either way, I am still sorry that I missed an opportunity to meet you!
Old 10-26-2014, 03:17 PM

Certainly a full day Miriam!! Sounds like everyone pitched in to help you and that it was well received! Good job

Usually the first time doing something like this at such a large venue is always the hardest - You must be exhausted!
Old 10-26-2014, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
Sounds like an interesting if not chaotic event. I couldn't figure it out from their website, were there booths selling things or just classes and demos? Either way, I am still sorry that I missed an opportunity to meet you!
It was a lot of classes. There were some things for sale.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:46 AM
Banned

You made it!!! Good for you and them!

Did you get a chance to see other classes?
Old 10-27-2014, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
You made it!!! Good for you and them!

Did you get a chance to see other classes?
No I was pretty busy all day
Old 10-27-2014, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

Singer long bobbin you can watch:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]496773[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]496774[/ATTACH]
There is a layer of plastic - hole is cut for throat plate plastic is attached by velcro - note dots
Attached Thumbnails singer-201-019.jpg   singer-201-017.jpg  
Old 10-27-2014, 01:51 PM

Seeing that cover makes me think making a couple clear slide plates might be fun. Some thin stiff plastic and a few minutes is all it would take. I think the hardest part will be finding the right plastic.
Thanks for the idea Miriam!
Rodney
Old 10-27-2014, 03:24 PM

Miriam - The clear plastic is a great idea to pull in beginners, experienced sewers and non-sewers!! Good way to show what the machine actually does! I'm going to have to find some suitable plastic to use to "amuse" my friends!
Old 10-27-2014, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

Rodney, we tried it out of thin plastic. It didn't work as well as the velcro. I know it isn't pretty but it did work and you can sew like that. With the plastic in the ruts it sagged pretty good. This makes a nice smooth surface. No harm to the machine either. I have slide plates so if I want I can use them - turn the frame over...