Sewing Machine Petting Zoo

Old 10-16-2014, 04:37 AM

Well, Lady Miriam, I would take 3 or 4 non-electric machines (1 treadle, 1 or 2 handcranks, and 1 or 2 spinner-equipped heads. Let the students drag in anything else....don’t forget your oil and tools.......

That ought to “harken them back to the days”........

Sounds like fun.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 10-16-2014, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
Well, Lady Miriam, I would take 3 or 4 non-electric machines (1 treadle, 1 or 2 handcranks, and 1 or 2 spinner-equipped heads. Let the students drag in anything else....don’t forget your oil and tools.......

That ought to “harken them back to the days”........

Sounds like fun.

CD in Oklahoma
I'm worried about the 'repairs' end of things... I'm not hauling my shop. If it has to do with cleaning out a bobbin or adjusting a tension we can do it but I'm not doing major repairs.......
Old 10-16-2014, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I'm worried about the 'repairs' end of things... I'm not hauling my shop. If it has to do with cleaning out a bobbin or adjusting a tension we can do it but I'm not doing major repairs.......
Correct my Noblewoman. Only take the tools needed for opening the basic covers and making minor adjustments. Any other repairs should be done at your shop.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 10-16-2014, 07:33 AM
Banned

I noted that they said you would be "showing them how" not that you would "do it for them".

Looks like a cool collegium.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:42 AM

Ok, the acronym threw me. I've heard of the SCA, just by the full name. I wouldn't mind attending on of their events, sounds like fun. Miriam your event sounds like a fun festival too-especially the pewter casting class. I hadn't even thought of lower temperature melting metals for casting. It has some possibilities.
Rodney
Old 10-16-2014, 09:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Ok, the acronym threw me. I've heard of the SCA, just by the full name. I wouldn't mind attending on of their events, sounds like fun. Miriam your event sounds like a fun festival too-especially the pewter casting class. I hadn't even thought of lower temperature melting metals for casting. It has some possibilities.
Rodney
It is fun, I cast in Pewter all the time. I use sand casting, RTV molds, and soapstone molds. I bought an electric "hot pot" smelter and removed the electronics, now it just sits on the stove and melts the metal just fine.

My "dream" goal is to find a low temp melting metal that is gold/brass in color. Good luck... I have even met with a pewter foundry, THEY have no recipe for a low temp melt yellow metal either
Old 10-16-2014, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

My DGDs said they want to come and 'help' that day. DH says he will go, too. I have a feeling...
Old 10-16-2014, 02:11 PM

Clifford!! Darn it, I just told my boss I would work on the 25th and now I find out I could have met Miriam and family! I am seriously bummed....

PS Clifford is just a few minutes from where I spend my daylight hours babysitting my grands
Old 10-16-2014, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
Clifford!! Darn it, I just told my boss I would work on the 25th and now I find out I could have met Miriam and family! I am seriously bummed....

PS Clifford is just a few minutes from where I spend my daylight hours babysitting my grands
Bring them along! I think the big girls are going to come along - I doubt if they will be much help unless they get bored.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

I let her know we aren't doing much with repairs on site.
OH and I'm suppose to be all dressed up in the old days. STEVE????????????