Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 66-16 machine wont work Help >

Singer 66-16 machine wont work Help

Singer 66-16 machine wont work Help

Old 06-12-2018, 07:29 AM

Default Singer 66-16 machine wont work Help

I was gifted a singer 66 sewing machine. It worked fine but after it was painted and the decals put on it stopped working. Im hoping someone on here knows how to make it work again. Please message me if you know how. Maybe it might have to be rewired? Im not sure but I wouldnt mind paying to get it working again. Its a beautiful machine and I would love to see it restored to its full working condition.

Last edited by Lady_Bird777; 06-12-2018 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:39 AM

First of all, take off the belt and see if it turns freely by hand. What did it do when you had it plugged in and pushed the controller?

welcome to the board.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:47 AM

It use to turn without the belt when I moved the wheel but now that its been painted It wont move.
When I plugged it in and pressed the peddal the belt moves but thats about it. The needle or any of the parts under the machine dont move
Old 06-12-2018, 07:54 AM

Ok unplug it.
The problem is not in the motor. A 66 in great shape should spin 3 revolutions with a quick flick of the hand wheel.

Did you tear down the machine before the painting? Mask off the bits you didn't want painted? Will it wiggle back and forth at all?

Did you lube it after the paint? Will the handwheel spin with the clutch knob disengaged?
Old 06-12-2018, 07:57 AM

The hand wheel doesn't move? Inspect jonts and parts for messy paint job. The hand wheel should turn easily. There are lots of oil points you need to give a drop of oil on a regular basis; behind the face plate, bobbin case area, on top, under the base, ever join, hinge, where metal moves against metal. Very basic; but the chromed stop motion screw might need tightening, parts behind there can be assebled the wrong way if you just have it back home from the paint shop. This is a very sturdy model, and should be easy to sort out.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:03 AM

It wont wiggle at all. Its pretty stiff. I've tried spinning/moving the handwheel but nothing. I think maybe he got water on it because there is rust on some of the inside parts where there wasnt before. I think either the paint or the rust is what's preventing it from moving. Ive lubed up the points on the machine that the manual said needed lube but It still wont go.
Im not sure he masked off any of the bits before painting it. Looks like he just sprayed it down with paint
Old 06-12-2018, 08:06 AM

Do you think a sewing machine repair place would know how to repair an older machine like this?
I wouldnt mind paying someone to fix it.
I think I've tried everything.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:20 AM

Whoa..so all your chrome bits are now painted, also? That is certainly the problem. Paint glues stuff together pretty well. Ever try to open a window that has been painted shut? Rust should not be the result of a paint job either.

Much as I hate to say this....How much do you love your machine? If you find an old sewing machine guy to do this Big IF. it will cost a lot. Younger techs generally don't have much interest in our old beasties. 66s aren't so rare that you can't find a working one. And don't take it to the same "painter".

I was thinking "easy fix" till we got more details.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:21 AM

Hate that you spent money for the painter and the decals and it is currently a shelf queen.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:31 AM

It sounds terrible from your description. If the work shop has taken the bother to order a new set of decals it should in theory give a nice result. A good paint job is worth it if you can afford the money and you get the result you like, I understand you well; but like leonf mentions, it cost less to find a machine in reasonably good condition. Personally I accept a few signs of age and use, but I clean, polish and give it a few touch ups.

With a bit of luck; try to find the spots where the paint glues part stuck, you might be able to force the parts free, cut it with a racor blade or thin blade knife. Can you post a picture?