Singer Cabinets from the 20's

Old 05-17-2015, 08:23 AM

Default Singer Cabinets from the 20's

Glen was asking about a cabinet - so I'm posting some pictures from the manual that shows it.

This is the basic cabinet. There is a later version that has a 3/4 split, the older has the split in the middle.

and the fancier version (same manual)

The cabinet for the 101 is very similar in style

And the one for the bentwood cased knee lever setup - also the same style and timeframe.

it has a board that lifts up and a lever to hold it in place when the machine is removed

This is what my 306 has looked like for over a year now. Hopefully once the workroom is finished - this will get finished too!

matching stool - the older ones will have wood corner brackets under the set. This one probalby is a newer one, but it was the handiest to get a picture of.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:00 AM

My daughter has that cabinet for the 101. 1/2 split on the top. Center tip out drawer in front and medallions on the legs, no corner brackets. Most similar to what you show in your second picture, the cabinet in the lower right illustration.
I didn't think my daughter's 101 cabinet had a matching stool. I could be wrong. The knee lever doesn't fold out of the way and my other stools won't fit under it all the way.
What kind of questions does Glenn have? I'm happy to help if I'm able.
Rodney
Old 05-17-2015, 10:52 AM

I have one of each - and I'm using that style stool to go with. There is a newer style stool with the same feet, but does not have the profile at the top of the leg (just straight).

The lever on my 101 table folds up out of the way - but that bottom brace between the legs makes it a bit difficult to push the bench all the way under. Right now my 101 has DH's Bernina 530 sitting on top.

I'm a bit miffed though - all this time I've been planning on putting a 319 in my trapizoid cabinet (funky machine in a funky cabinet) and it does not fit! I'd have to trim the edge of the drawer compartment so I can close the door.

So I figured, ok -let's put the 401 in there - and it also does not fit - it's too fat and the top won't close . . .
I have my 301 in a different cabinet, and wanted to keep it in that one, but that one has a lot more room so I may be moving things around again.

I had also planned on putting the White 670 in the pfaff cabinet - but DH wired it up special to work in the cabinet it's in -so we decided it would stay there - not sure what I'll put in the pfaff cabinet now (original Pfaff is in a different Singer cabinet and will stay).
Old 05-17-2015, 01:44 PM

Musical cabinets?
My 401 came in one of the Singer mid century styled cabinets. I think it's one of the last good quality cabinets Singer made. It has some terrible sun fade but is worth the effort to refinish. One of these days I might actually do something with it.
Rodney
Old 05-17-2015, 03:00 PM

I've still got to move the Pfaff 130, and I'm going to see if the 319 will fit in the cab the Pfaff was in - it came with a 401A.

I ended up bring the FW cabinet downstairs to my office, moving the Trapiziod upstairs and the 201 cabinet (the actual cab that housed the machine I learned to sew on) into the hallway right outside my office (where the trapizoid cab was). The 301 is in the trapizoid cab, the 15-90 is in the large Queen Anne, the 401A is in the bent leg cab (that the 301 came in), my Mom's old White Rotary is in the Marsha Washington cab, and that leaves the long leg Queen Anne to put something in - and I have the parlor cabinet up there, but I don't remember what is in it (and forgot to look). I also have a smaller parlor cab in my office and don't remember what is in that - the Library has a 27 in one treadle, and a 127 in the other.

Just got in from measuring the Shed machines so DH can make the base stands for them. Davis, White, New Royal and Wheeler Wilson can stand on their owe feet, the rest need help.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I'm a bit miffed though - all this time I've been planning on putting a 319 in my trapizoid cabinet (funky machine in a funky cabinet) and it does not fit! I'd have to trim the edge of the drawer compartment so I can close the door.

So I figured, ok -let's put the 401 in there - and it also does not fit - it's too fat and the top won't close . . .
I have my 301 in a different cabinet, and wanted to keep it in that one, but that one has a lot more room so I may be moving things around again.

I had also planned on putting the White 670 in the pfaff cabinet - but DH wired it up special to work in the cabinet it's in -so we decided it would stay there - not sure what I'll put in the pfaff cabinet now (original Pfaff is in a different Singer cabinet and will stay).
THAT! That right there! I was wondering if anyone else had these problems! I do the same exact thing-plan for a certain machine in a certain cabinet and then find out the drawer won't shut or the machine doesn't drop down right or some such thing! It's very frustrating. You measure the opening and the hinges and it all just seems like it should go smoothly, but it doesn't. I get that. I have got to stop polishing and planning until after I lift the beast up and check the installation.

I hope you get it all sorted out!
Old 05-18-2015, 05:22 AM

If I quit playing musical cabinets, I'd be fine.

The main problem is with putting older machines in newer cabinets and vise versa. "Newer" includes potted motor machines, often they will not fit in cabinets made earlier.

The trapizoid cabinet is strange one - the machine itself is at an angle, and that brings the top of the head closer to the front of the cabinet. I could probably fit something earlier than a 301 in there, but not the older ones as they are all taller or fatter than the 301.

The Pfaff 130 is now in the pfaff cabinet, but we had to move the back rest as it was in the wrong spot. That would have been a factory error - we needed to move it over about an inch so the base foot contacted it squarely.

The 319 fit perfect in the singer cabinet that the 401 came in. We'd installed a lift when we put the Pfaff in - and that works with the 319 also.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:26 AM

oddly enough we were talking Treadles and 306's on another thread..... I have my 306 in the 1900 cabinet that my 27 came in ( was originally a 6 drawer but by the time I got it it is just top and lid ) and though it fits fine.... I have to remove my face plate to close it.... it bumps the "corner" of the ole on the way down.... I can re install it when it is closed but it wont drop with it on.....
Old 05-18-2015, 01:22 PM

I have 2 of the cabinet stools, but they are unusable as they are very wobbly. I've tightened the screws inside the seat, it doesn't help and doesn't stay tight for long.
Sharon in Texas
Old 05-18-2015, 01:54 PM

Sharon, you'll need to unscrew them, glue a plug into the hole, and redrill. The screwhole has gotten too "large" and the screw does not fit snug anymore.

This is actually a very repair with any old wood furniture.

You will have to determine which screw holes need to be fixed - the one large one holding the leg on, or the smaller ones in the lid holding the brackets on.