Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Is there a machine that you just don't like .... >

Is there a machine that you just don't like ....

Is there a machine that you just don't like ....

Old 08-23-2014, 01:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I guess I don't love plastic wonders.
I thought I thought that too, but I've become more open minded. I think whatever makes a person happy is okay. I would never be happy with a plastic Brother but my BFF has one and loves it. I've sewn on hers and have to admit it's not a bad little machine. I am however gifting her with a Singer 404 I was given as soon as I get the time to service it, so it remains to be seen what she thinks after using the Singer.

Cari
Old 08-23-2014, 01:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
For me it's Brother- I had one years ago that would never finish a project. Could only get to the 1/2 way point. Like 1/2 a zipper !/2 a pair of pants. Well I thought it was one of those lemons you hear about . I have acquired a few of these through the years and every one of them acted the same way. If my older brother would try to finish my project it would throw a hissy fit. But if he started a new project of his they would finish and no problems from the machines. Hmm maybe it's the machines that don't like me?
You've got my full attention. Which models? I just can't picture a 50s or 60s Brother machine giving anyone problems. I grew up using my moms' 1964 Brother and put that thing through the wringer. I sewed everything you're not supposed to sew with a domestic machine on that thing(up to and including car door panels) and it still works like a new machine today. Mom asked me about it today and I had to tell her my oldest DD has it now and won't give it back.

Cari
Old 08-23-2014, 02:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by J Miller I agree. I gave my wife one several years ago. She said she'd always wanted one. She never uses it. I wasted my money.

Joe
LOL! talk her into selling it and buying the VERY BEST antique handcrank you can find....

Ya know, I realized that IF there was a real (3:1) hand crank for the featherweight, I might be tempted to try one out for awhile...

I've actually seen a featherweight handcrank! Well, a picture of one. For the life of me I can't remember where or when, I think it must have been on one of the Yahoo groups or a blog.

Cari
Old 08-23-2014, 06:13 AM

Cari,

LOL, that won't happen. I think having it is enough for now. As for the hand cranks I fail to see the facination people have for those. I have one and rarely use it. It sews great, I put a lot of hours refurbishing a rusted up machine to working condition, but eventually I'll motorize it.
So I'd never even consider a FW HC.

Joe
Old 08-24-2014, 04:54 PM

I cannot get the hang of the Singer 401A it is annoying to use and it whines.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mrs Finch View Post
I cannot get the hang of the Singer 401A it is annoying to use and it whines.
LOL but you would just love the Singer 403...
It could be that your 401 needs some more servicing.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:04 AM

The 401a is a 100 percent mechanical animal. It needs to be clean, oiled and greased. And the big fiber drive wheel needs grease too. Then the motor top bearing might be suffering from solidified grease and that will cause a whine. A couple drops of 30 wt oil on top of the bearing will help with that.

Joe
Old 08-25-2014, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
I love sewing with my class 66-1 red eye machines, so smooth and quiet.

The machine I really,really don't like it the Singer 500, had one for about 6 months. I didn't like the center dial, just never worked right. The lady who bought it just loves it.
The center dials are a challenge. I finally figured out that I have to keep the A dial on A and change the other dial first then go back to the A dial which I think is pretty stupid since everyone would think to start a A.

Anyway, once I figured that out I started to like the machine. But I only use it for zig zag.

My 401 is probably the one I would dump first. It just doesn't sew on anything thicker than 2 pieces of fabric. Skips stitches.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by ArizonaKAT View Post
......My 401 is probably the one I would dump first. It just doesn't sew on anything thicker than 2 pieces of fabric. Skips stitches.
Sounds like the machine has a problem somewhere (what problem, I don't know). Yours certainly doesn't match the reputation of a 401. Most people who have them seem to love them.
Rodney
Old 08-25-2014, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Sounds like the machine has a problem somewhere (what problem, I don't know). Yours certainly doesn't match the reputation of a 401. Most people who have them seem to love them.
Rodney
I agree. It needs some servicing.