Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Yep, don't have any "after" pics yet. Working on it.

Does the Sewmor 606 I was gonna buy from you look like the one cabbagepatchkid posted above? I don't remember.

Joe
    It looks like it is out of the same cookie cutter but the paint is much different.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

OK, just for Miriam, here's the Dial 'n Sew 516 all cleaned up and working.

Still got some fine tuning to do, especially with the button hole setting knob, but she'll do SS and ZZ just fine.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    OK, just for Miriam, here's the Dial 'n Sew 516 all cleaned up and working.

Still got some fine tuning to do, especially with the button hole setting knob, but she'll do SS and ZZ just fine.

Joe
    Joe does that have a camstack? I'm trying to justify that knob and lever on the left. That one sure doesn't have any glitz does it or is an extra lever and knob the glitz? Does the lever release something so the dial can turn? It is amazing how nice they look when they get a little cleaning.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

A cam stack? Well if you can call it that. It has one three lobed cam just about half way between the presser foot bar and the button hole control knob towards the back.

Joe

Blog Entries
    so it does a blind hem? Does it do a triple stitch on the zz and ss? some of the Kenmore machines do that. Real basic but nice features
    Do you put that lever on M to do the button hole?
    Maybe farther over to the right for a triple?

Yes it does a blind hem. I don't think it does the triple stitches on ZZ or SS. I might find out differently as I work with it.
    The lever above the button hole knob doesn't move when the knob is turned, and I didn't move it as I tried the button holes. Something to work on.

I did figure out the extra detents on the button hole knob though. It's a two fingered spring the arms that rotate as you turn the knob have over ride to move.
    Here is a pic with the top off. You can see the single three lobed cam to the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    This machine is very cool - but it only does straight and zz
    Attachment 380781
    With all those dials, you'd think it would do more fancy stitching.
    Sharon

Lots of very nice machines to drool over. I only have vintage/antique Singers and vintage Pfaffs. No old Japanese machines live here.
    I was looking at Bonnie Hunter's blog and she has a very pretty hot pink Morse machine & several others in various colors.
    Sharon W.

Blog Entries
    jlm5419, that is the twin to my mother's White. I wish I had found one around here.

I didn't realize we were posting SS machines, too, so here's another to go with the turquoise Universal. Admiral is her name, looks like a Necchi, but made by Brother. Gorgeous turquoise Art Deco decals and an Art Deco faceplate. Sews well if you put the plugs in the correct receptacles. I reversed the machine and the foot pedal plugs the first time and the machine took off like a race horse on its own. Yikes! The interesting foot pedal is being replaced as it is ceramic inside and overheats. I'm selling this one, though I haven't listed it yet. The machine is much prettier without that r/w/b sticker. I didn't realize it was just a dealer sticker before I took the picture.
    Name:  100_0225a.JPG
Views: 1038
Size:  1.26 MBName:  100_0227.JPG
Views: 962
Size:  1.27 MB

Blog Entries
    We should do a thread just for the crazy foot/knee controls - then decide which ones are safe and which ones aren't... I believe I would leave that dealer sticker alone - it is cool - I've not seen one like that.

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast