Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-01-2011, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by pennijanine
I found her on my front porch just as she is. The case she was in was smashed on the bottom, she had a motor and foot pedal and her shuttle bobbin holder and about 8 bobbins. Someone knows that I like old machines, but no idea who dropped her off!!
Must be the Vintage Sewing Machine Angel, lucky for you that they found your home. Very nice machine!
Old 03-01-2011, 08:33 PM

I hope you all don't mind me showing another neat old machine I found. It is not a sewing machine, but this treadle grinder was so neat I just had to bring it home today. Patrick
Attached Thumbnails attachment-123429.jpe  
Old 03-01-2011, 08:33 PM

Another "oh look" moment for me. I discovered that the ironing board could be situated under the section of the cabinet to help hold the quilt while attaching the binding.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-123737.jpe   attachment-123738.jpe  
Old 03-01-2011, 08:34 PM

Cool! That is very interesting, and gold too! I was thinking of a smaller grinder, like for coffee.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Another "oh look" moment for me. I discovered that the ironing board could be situated under the section of the cabinet to help hold the quilt while attaching the binding.
Great idea. Is the ironing board adjustable or is it just that perfect to fit under the cabinet like that? Patrick
Old 03-01-2011, 08:47 PM

This is my latest quilt. The piecing was done on my Singer 201K, and the quilting and binding were done on the Davis NVF. Only the decorative stitch, that I used to finish off the binding with, is from a modern machine. The quilting foot (bar) that came with the Davis didn't seem to fit; so, I made my own out of a coat hanger. It fits through the hole in the foot, but I had to tape it in place since it would slide around. My lines aren't the straightest, but that doesn't matter to me.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-124120.jpe   attachment-124121.jpe   attachment-124122.jpe   attachment-124424.jpe   attachment-124811.jpe  

Old 03-01-2011, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by cla8655

does any one here have an idea base on the information that I have how old is my machine and where I can get information about it? thank you so much, I have been reading all the comments and you all are expert in this area. I even got here idea on the curtains for my sewing room. thanks, clara
NOTE: the photos are here in page 742
Clara, I am also curious about your machine. It is very pretty, but I don't think it is really old. It looks like a Model 15 clone. What is puzzling to me is that there were no sewing machine manufacturer's - at least not major ones - in Taiwan until I think the 1950's or 1960's? I could be wrong on that one, that is why I am asking Billy for his opinion. Japan, I think, was ahead of Taiwan in that Japan started manufacturing sewing machines for domestic use in 1928 under the Brother label. Takai started making domestic machines in 1949, so I'd guess your machine to be newer than 1949 - but again, we need to ask Billy. I don't know?

I am just as curious as you are. Is the machine all cast iron with metal gears? Belt driven? Is there plastic anywhere on the machine?

I'd bet Billy knows the answer to about how old your machine is.

Nancy
hi nancy, the machine is all cast iron, and has a little motor on the back but wen I got it , it had a table and because it was damage a little in the back my very very very DH took it apart and thru it away, when I came home from work, it was too late, but it had a belt on the side if I am not mistaken and I have not seen any thing plastic in it
Old 03-01-2011, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Pat Heinemann
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Great idea. Is the ironing board adjustable or is it just that perfect to fit under the cabinet like that? Patrick
It is adjustable. Most of the time it sits on the back side of the cabinet as an extended table. I just adjust it to the height of the cabinet. And when I need to use it to iron, I just raise it up. Unless I'm sitting while ironing, then I lower it down.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:11 PM

I don't do any ironing, but for a helping hand on a quilt that looks like it does the trick. And that is a great looking quilt.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pat Heinemann
I don't do any ironing, but for a helping hand on a quilt that looks like it does the trick. And that is a great looking quilt.
Thank you! It was fun making this with the vintage machines.