Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-19-2011, 06:14 PM

[thank you so much for that info. I spent hours looking, I just am not very good at searchiig. I always say an iitem is worth what someone will pay for it. When he said he wanted to sell it, of course I wanted to buy it. Then he said someone told him he should get a couple thousand for it because it was a very rare one, so of course I just had to try to research it. It does appear to be an unusual model, unlike the ones we finddaily. Again, thanks for the info.

quote=Miz Johnny]I know once one of you tell me, I'm going to be smacking my head and saying, "Doh!", but I can't figure out what an "F&F" is. I did find this information:

Chicago Sewing Machine Co. Est 1875 - 1882
◦Factory: Chicago. Illinois
Became:
Chicago Sewing Machine Co. Inc Est 1882 - 1902 Th Ooo Oi
◦Factory: 42 – 52 North Halsted Street, Chicago. Illinois.
Previously:
Tyber & Sweetland Manufacturing Co. to 1875
Machines Made:
◦No’s 1 – 5, 7, 11
◦Chicago Low Arm Singer
◦Imperial High Arm
◦The Columbian
◦The Peerless

As for selling it, it's worth what someone will pay for it. That is not meant as a snide or snarky comment, it's just that you can't really put a value on something like this and expect it to hold true. If several people want it, it's worth more. If only one person wants it, it's worth less. THAT'S why everyone thinks their machines are "worth" $400 or whatever--they saw one go for that on Ebay, and don't take into consideration all the other factors: availabilty, 2 people in a bidding war, drunken stupor, whatever. (BTW, there's a Sphinx on Ebay right now--asking price is $3,000.) Most genuine collectors will not tell someone what an machine is "worth", and most sewing machine sites state that at the top of their page, as that is the question most frequently asked.

Originally Posted by buslady
I posted a quiry on pg 1325 that seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle. If anyone can help me with it, I would be very grateful.
[/quote]
Old 07-19-2011, 06:14 PM

Crap, dbl post
Old 07-19-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by grannysewer
Question for Glenn, Can I glue the covering of my featherweight case back on? And what kind of glue would I use? Thanks
Are you talking about the original covering that is loose are a new covering? Yes you can but the old glue must be removed with acetone first. Glue will not stick to old dirty glue. You can use a good contact cement very thin or a spray contact glue.
Yes, its the orginial covering and theres enough of it that I think I can make it work. Any suggestion for a subsititute covering if I have to redo the whole thing?
Old 07-19-2011, 06:19 PM

My score of the day tho wasn't really sewing related, altho I wanted it for my room...I needed it for my pincushions, thimbles and notions.... probably paid too much at $15.00, but I wanted it!![/quote]

I think that is a good price for such a nice cabinet. It is a beauty. Kathie
Old 07-19-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Sharon is right, take off the plate that is covering the feed dogs. It's either for a buttonholer or a picot hemstitcher. You're also going to want at least a standard straight stitch presser foot.
so that's what the little plate is!!! - *I have one here somewhere...
The plate cover for the buttonholer is usually flat--this looks like a cover for darning or free motion. I could be wrong, too!!
It *really* looks like the plate that came with my picot hemstitcher...that's why I mentioned that...
Have you tried to use that picot thang???
Not yet....I haven't gotten my treadle cabinet back from getting refinished, and I took the electric motor off of it and dunno what I did with the case! :lol: I plan to tho, as soon as I get the machine set up to sew and I also need to improvise some rubber "grippers" for the arms of the attachment.
This was in the machine I just bought. I'm not into mending hose or tablecloths, but interesting.

Singer fashion aid
[ATTACH=CONFIG]229144[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-229138.jpe  
Old 07-19-2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Sharon is right, take off the plate that is covering the feed dogs. It's either for a buttonholer or a picot hemstitcher. You're also going to want at least a standard straight stitch presser foot.
so that's what the little plate is!!! - *I have one here somewhere...
The plate cover for the buttonholer is usually flat--this looks like a cover for darning or free motion. I could be wrong, too!!
It *really* looks like the plate that came with my picot hemstitcher...that's why I mentioned that...
Have you tried to use that picot thang???
The little plate is part 15359, called "Feed Cover Plate". I will take a pic of it tomorrow. The folks I ordered the belt from sent me a complimentary parts catalog.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:25 PM

Nicky, it could be used for a number of things then, freemotion quilting, embroidery, zigzagger, etc. :)

That's a pretty machine..you're going to have so much fun with it!
Old 07-19-2011, 07:27 PM

[quote=buslady] . . . When he said he wanted to sell it, of course I wanted to buy it. Then he said someone told him he should get a couple thousand for it because it was a very rare one. . . [quote]

Of course. "Someone" knows an awful lot about machines, because Someone is always telling people that!! Wish I could find Someone to buy some of mine, because I'd like to have a couple thousand dollars.

Does it look like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy4rJlsXViw

or maybe this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PEERLESS-TREADLE...-/110336369008

It's a VERY RARE machine that goes over $400. Tell him to put it on ebay, and you can bid on it there!
Old 07-19-2011, 07:49 PM

Charlee, Seeing your knickknack shelf has reminded me that I have a center drawer from an extremely damaged treadle cabinet top that I'm planning to convert into a shelf with a dowel at end to hold a small quilt. Just another project on my never-ending to do list.

Bottom photo is an "idea" of how I want the shelf to look.

inside of drawer will face out to hold items
[ATTACH=CONFIG]229161[/ATTACH]

backside of shelf will be against wall
[ATTACH=CONFIG]229162[/ATTACH]

not mine-just an example
[ATTACH=CONFIG]229163[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-229155.jpe   attachment-229156.jpe   attachment-229157.png  
Old 07-19-2011, 08:03 PM

Out in the Wild Today:

One Singer 27 with nice Sphinx decals...had some issues...handwheel didn't move the needle, but the stop action did. It's been electrified...and at the "THRIFT" store (I use the term loosely) they wanted $100 for it.
They also had a nice cabinet (no machine) but the opening was 17 inches x 7.25 inches...think it might have been for a Kenmore as it was too long for my Singers but couldn't find a tag on it. $25.00. With it was one butt-ugly sewing chair, again for $25.00.
Another store had a CUTE little cabinet with a Montgomery Ward Brunswick machine...tiny little thing with a chocolate crinkle finish, and vibrating shuttle. Had some issues with the cabinet top tho, and felt $25.00 was too much.
Another store had a brown lotus for $55....decals were good, but not perfect. They also had a green egg buttonholer for $15.00.

My score of the day tho wasn't really sewing related, altho I wanted it for my room...I needed it for my pincushions, thimbles and notions.... probably paid too much at $15.00, but I wanted it!!
That's an adorable display! Totally worth the $15 the way yoou made it look!