Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-28-2010, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Well, I won my 1952 Elna Supermatic. Now all I need is the knee controller. Billy, could you ask your friends if they have one and how much they want? I am excited to get it. I think it's gonna be a little gem!!!
Congrats!! That's a fun looking little machine! I can't help with the knee controller, other than to tell you to try Guy Baker... he's the guy that told me that he wouldn't sell me a motor for my Kenmore until I totally burned the old one up, because he didn't think I needed one since it hadn't been used in years....he was right, and saved me the $25 plus shipping it would have cost me!
Here's his website:
http://www.sewingmachineparts.net/pricelist.html

I'm betting if he doesn't have one, he can get it! :)
Old 04-29-2010, 04:16 AM

Billy or Charlee Help please this is an antique sewing machine i am looking to purchase. It is not a singer but is said to be manufactured in late 1800's. Can you tell me anything about this machine from this picture? The spool holder on top is different from others i have seen
Old 04-29-2010, 04:20 AM

sorry couldn't get pictures to post trying again
Attached Thumbnails attachment-22501.jpe  
Old 04-29-2010, 04:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mickey
Billy or Charlee Help please this is an antique sewing machine i am looking to purchase. It is not a singer but is said to be manufactured in late 1800's. Can you tell me anything about this machine from this picture? The spool holder on top is different from others i have seen
Charlee can tell you more about you machine but it is a Wheeler&Wilson D-9. That is the machine that Singer used the spare parts to make the 9W after their acquisition of W&W.

Billy
Old 04-29-2010, 04:30 AM
Banned

Well, I won my 1952 Elna Supermatic. Now all I need is the knee controller. Billy, could you ask your friends if they have one and how much they want? I am excited to get it. I think it's gonna be a little gem!!!
Fresh out of Knee controllers. I would look around some more on the internet. Looks like Charlee gave you a link to a really good place to try and find one. Also you might have to look at yard sales and flea markets if you know what youre looking for.

That is a really nice looking machine though, I can see why you love it so much!!!!

Billy
Old 04-29-2010, 04:30 AM
Banned

Fresh out of Knee controllers. I would look around some more on the internet. Looks like Charlee gave you a link to a really good place to try and find one. Also you might have to look at yard sales and flea markets if you know what youre looking for.

That is a really nice looking machine though, I can see why you love it so much!!!!

Billy
Old 04-29-2010, 04:39 AM
Banned

Linda, I love it!!

I wished you could have taken one from the front so that everyone can see the embossed areas that are on the machine. Did you know that the White Sewing Machine Company was the first manufacturer to use the "Wrinkle" finish and held a patent on it.

The anniversary of this model was bronzed and a lot of folks that have them today have ruined them by over polishing them to make them shine instead of keeping the patina.

The wrinkle finish didn't show up on the Singers until they were being refurbished by certain authorized manufacturers and then they started using it themselves in the latter 50's.

Billy
Old 04-29-2010, 04:51 AM

Do you have any suggestions on finding someone locally who likes to work on vintage machines (like you)??

I know a fellow in Alabama but I would have to ask him exactly where he is but he owns several vintage machines and works on his own. What part of Al are you from.

Billy[/quote]

I live in Seminole, AL which is just a few miles west of Pensacola and 45 miles from Mobile. But even a road trip would be worthwhile. BTW I took the cover plate off the bottom of the foot control and took the wires off so now I can release the head from the cabinet. I've never done anything like that before but it sure was exciting. You can teach an old dog new tricks!! The tutorial on machine cleaning sounds great to me. Once this baby is sparkling clean I want to keep her that way. Thanks again for all your help!
Old 04-29-2010, 05:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cjaye44
BTW I took the cover plate off the bottom of the foot control and took the wires off so now I can release the head from the cabinet. I've never done anything like that before but it sure was exciting. You can teach an old dog new tricks!!
I am telling you these machines are not that scary to work on. You just have to have the right frame of mind........."If they can do it, I know I can do it better and still have extra parts laying around!!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congratulations on your accomplishment and see how good it feels when you have done something yourself!?!

Just stick around our Shop and you will be working on them like its second nature to you!!!!

Billy
Old 04-29-2010, 05:06 AM

how hard is it to get parts for a Singer 401a? My Mom's has a bent needle bar we think--it keep breaking needles, also makes a sight tapping sound when it sews.