Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Sewbizgirl, have you changed your thread? Everyone now is using the new Bottom Line bobbin thread, which is a 60 weight - very fine thread. Some of the older machines can't tolerate that light weight of a thread. I have found with my treadles to keep the top and bottom thread the same. Even my Long Arm doesn't tolerate the really light weight bobbin thread - I spent several hours ripping out a quilted quilt due to the Bottom Line thread. I know these new threads are made for the bobbin, but be careful some machines won't tolerate them. Also, if you are using a really inexpensive thread, it may be the thread not your tension. The top tension should always be tighter then the bobbin tension. When you pick up your bobbin by the thread, it should only lift up on end not come off your hand unless you bounce it.

Nancy
I am using the same thread top and bottom, some fairly new Gutermann 100% cotton thread.

I remember this machine was doing this a couple of years ago and suddenly it just "got better" all by itself... which is just as puzzling as what could be wrong.

I will experiment with thread, tho.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
This is a machine I've been wanting, though the drive would be long for me:< I wonder what kind of elbow grease would be needed?:>
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/hsh/2605306465.html
That is a terrible thing to do to that machine. My Elna sews so wonderfully, though she doesn't quilt well. It's a 1973 SU Star - the twin to the paint covered one. I recently saw one on shopgoodwill for $34 and the shipping wasn't much because they listed it at 10 pounds, which it is not. Ebay had an inexpensive one, too. I have replaced a lost cam for $6 on ebay. My bobbins don't have a 'hat' on them. Just very straight sides with holes on one side. The paint on mine is chipped, but when I think of what that machine has sewn, I can understand though I do think the paint isn't as thick as my Singers or my Necchi.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Originally Posted by Candace
This is a machine I've been wanting, though the drive would be long for me:< I wonder what kind of elbow grease would be needed?:>
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/hsh/2605306465.html
That is a terrible thing to do to that machine. My Elna sews so wonderfully, though she doesn't quilt well. It's a 1973 SU Star - the twin to the paint covered one. I recently saw one on shopgoodwill for $34 and the shipping wasn't much because they listed it at 10 pounds, which it is not. Ebay had an inexpensive one, too. I have replaced a lost cam for $6 on ebay. My bobbins don't have a 'hat' on them. Just very straight sides with holes on one side. The paint on mine is chipped, but when I think of what that machine has sewn, I can understand though I do think the paint isn't as thick as my Singers or my Necchi.

That machine you saw listing on Goodwill sold for over $130...so no bargain! Why doesn't yours quilt well? What's the problem?
Old 09-26-2011, 01:04 PM

The 1973 Elna had an self adjusting presser foot. It is supposed to adjust automatically to the thickness of what you are sewing, which is fine for everything except quilting. When I tried to SITD on a multiple batt comforter, I had to go upstairs and use my back-up machine. I only had two machines, then, LOL. It also sews such a perfect, well balanced stitch that it is very hard to remove if you make an error. When quilting, I have a lot of redos. The ZZ slot eats corners corners on HSTs and such. The only thing the Elna does for me quilting is ZZ around the quilt before I put on the binding. I did SITD a quilt with the walking foot before I bought the 301, but I had a lot of tucks to deal with on the back because of the tight presser foot. I love that machine and have been well pleased with her, but the 301 is a better quilter. Miss Elna has sewn everything from silk organza wedding dresses to leather belts. Probably the strangest thing was my brother's Mylar flameproof suit when he was drag racing.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

The 1973 Elna had an self adjusting presser foot. It is supposed to adjust automatically to the thickness of what you are sewing, which is fine for everything except quilting. When I tried to SITD on a multiple batt comforter, I had to go upstairs and use my back-up machine. I only had two machines, then, LOL. It also sews such a perfect, well balanced stitch that it is very hard to remove if you make an error. When quilting, I have a lot of redos. The ZZ slot eats corners corners on HSTs and such. The only thing the Elna does for me quilting is ZZ around the quilt before I put on the binding. I did SITD a quilt with the walking foot before I bought the 301, but I had a lot of tucks to deal with on the back because of the tight presser foot. I love that machine and have been well pleased with her, but the 301 is a better quilter. Miss Elna has sewn everything from silk organza wedding dresses to leather belts. Probably the strangest thing was my brother's Mylar flameproof suit when he was drag racing.
Yeah, the Elna tends to kind of do in the beginning of the seam doesn't it. Not good for quilting. I wonder how the old straight sew Elna would do. I haven't done much with my recently acquired Elna yet. I haven't set her up in the room - no place to go unless I kick something else out. I'm thinking I'll wait awhile until I come up with something I want to do that she does best... Like a few baby things. I have a good bunch of discs. I have two new GBs coming - one in Dec and one in Jan.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:14 PM

Interesting...thanks.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:19 PM

I did see a straight stitch plate on the Elna site, but I didn't purchase it because I have two straight stitch machines set up and the Necchi sews the same good stitch they Elna has. miriam, Miss Elna has made hundreds of baby items. I like the little ducks and the little flowers for receiving blanket edges and the double needle makes a nice trim, too. My grandaughter liked the adjustable presser foot on the Elna. She even offered me $37 for her. Not!
Old 09-26-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Celeste
I'd like to know what you all think of this?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/2610905669.html
Celeste, you better go get this one!! NICE machine!! Saw one up close at the TOGA, and it was really cool!!
Old 09-26-2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Originally Posted by sew wishful
I found one of the new Singer Featherweight machines at a local GW! Plugged it in and the motor ran and the needle went up and down. Brought it home and played a bit on it and it seems to run well. I think I will put it away for a granddaughter, eventually, but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on these machines. I know...they are plastic (I'm unable to take it apart....no screws, so it must be a throw away machine) but that's all I know about it. Certainly not the Featherweight from 1954 I have upstairs!! LOL!

I don't know about not being able to take it apart. I think mine can be. I have/had one. It is with my DD currently. It works well, and can be used for a lot of things. For heavy use, this is NOT the machine you want. But it has been handy for her mending, and for a backup machine when my go to machine was down - before I started gathering my 'herd' of vintage machines. :lol: When I deliver the centennial FW promised to DD, she may give up the little one, may not. She does tell me the plastic one won't go through the layers to hem her DH's pants.
I acquired one of those plastic FWs with a box of parts... I'm wondering if the thing is all there and if it works. I should go look. I just figured it was junk - haven't given it the time of day.
What did you give for yours?? I had just one attachment with mine and a itty bitty screwdriver. Guess it goes in the hole with the + - sign beside it. LOL!
Old 09-26-2011, 02:41 PM

double post....sorry