Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-18-2010, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Suzanne57
Originally Posted by Lostn51
When rewiring the old button foot controllers, do we still need to find a heat shield for the wiring inside the box? On the Sew-Classic blog, she reuses the old shields on the new wires, but mine were not in any shape to be reused. Do I need to track down the shields?
NAPA has them and I will have to go out side and look up the part number for it. You really do not have to use them but if you want to its not a problem. I think the wire is rated at 350 or 400* or so and its not going to get that hot when you use it.

Billy
Thanks. Now if I could just get that nasty stubborn screw loose. Tried WD40, PB Blaster, bought a large screwdriver, hit it with a hammer, heated it with a hair dryer, and am ready to give up and take it to the repair shop.
Got it! I ended up taking it to Sewing World in Fort Worth and the guy finally got it out, tested the motor which runs great so he said it didn't need rewiring, the feed dogs don't need replacing, and he DIDN'T CHARGE ME ANYTHING!! Since his variegated cotton quilting thread was on sale, I bought 8 spools. When I buy a new fancy machine you know where I'll be going. BTW, Napa here doesn't have the wiring shields. Neither did Auto Zone, PepBoys or Radio Shack.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Kas
Originally Posted by purplefiend
"I just saw a black short bed 301 in the 301 table on craigslist and they were asking $300 for the whole thing, but no attatchments or anything. I also saw the same type 301 in a De Luxe Desk model #42 cabinet with no stool, but with some attatchments and the manual for $95 at a local antique store. Is that a good deal?"

If you have room for the cabinet, I'd think that it was the better deal as long as the cabinet is in good condition. You can remove the 301 from the cabinet by pressing down on the lever on the cradle that holds the machine into the cabinet and then its a portable.
Sharon
Thanks, Sharon. Is that a good price, though? I am still trying to talk my hubby into negotiating for me, but he is pretending not to hear what I am saying! Imagine that!
:lol:
That's a good price. Just make sure it has the bobbin case as they can be pricy for an original one.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by oldswimmer
Billy,
I am kind of new to this, but my neighbor has an old singer for sale... serial AA861889 said it was made in 1926 in Bogata, Columbia. It has a nice oak(?) case and is not a floor model. Sits on a table. It seems that the only way to make it sew is with a knee bar. I have been looking for info, but cant seem to find any. I dont think there are any feet with it. She wants $60. The wood is excellent, just dusty, dirty.. Do you think that is a fair price. It does run. Any help is appreciated. The decals are a little worn. Should I worry that it wasnt made in the US? Thanks, Peggy.
That makes it worth more to me, but I would need to see photos of it so I knew what model it is and all but if it looks good to you and you are okay with paying that then buy it and enjoy it.

Billy
Old 06-18-2010, 06:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by oldswimmer
I am kind of new to this, but my neighbor has an old singer for sale... serial AA861889 said it was made in 1926 in Bogata, Columbia... Peggy.
AA to AT - Elizabeth, New Jersey USA
AA- 855511 870510 99 15000 January 20 1926

If the serial number is correct, it was made in Elizabeth NJ
Prefix CA - CY was made in Bogota, Columbia. It's a 99 but either Billy or one of the other collectors would be able to tell you more about a 99. If you get it, have fun with it.
I didnt even look it up thanks for the information. If it is a 99 then it will have to be in really good condition to be worth the money she is asking for it. Make a counter offer and see if she will take it.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:14 PM

Went to that Tag Sale I told you about. There were 5 VERY old machines and one newer. The newer one was an old Franklin in a Kenmore cabinet with stool for $200.
There was an old treadle in cabinet for $300, three old ones from the late 1800's (from what I could tell) each for $300, and one no name that was in a neat cabinet of sorts for $300. My camera is broken or I would have taken pics. I forgot to write the info down because I had sticker shock. However, I learned tom. prices are slashed and Sunday if you made a bid on them and put it in the bid box, they may accept your bid.

These machines all worked, I saw no extra accessories anywhere, and were all in good shape, just need a really good cleaning, oil, and for the treadle new belt and for the Franklin a new foot cord, and useable.
I tried to find a bank to rob on the way home to no avail.

Going back tom. early to see what prices are. I let my friend who works in the antique store part for the lady selling this stuff , know that I was interested in any kind of machines in any condition. Maybe I will get a good deal and then again, maybe they will sell. Who knows.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Banned

BTW, Napa here doesn't have the wiring shields. Neither did Auto Zone, PepBoys or Radio Shack.
NAPA has them if they dont have it in the store they can order it. Just tell them to get the Beldon catalog and look at the asphalt coated wiring sleeving (its in the same section of the catalog as the wire loom) it is sold by the foot and comes in 25' or 50' rolls. It also comes in several diameters from 1/4" up to 1"

Good thing I do not still work for them I would find out where that store is and fire who ever told you that and the manager.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:26 PM

Hi Billy, I have questions about this machine. I can't seem to find any information, can you help me? While it does run the foot pedal has a hair trigger and it races on contact. Will this machine take regular needles? Could this machine be made into a hand crank machine? If so are the ones that say new on e-bay the ones I would use?

Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks ahead for your help.

Is this the original foot pedal?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]88512[/ATTACH]

cannot find a number
[ATTACH=CONFIG]88515[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-88505.jpe   attachment-88506.jpe   attachment-88507.jpe   attachment-88510.jpe  
Old 06-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Hi Billy, I have questions about this machine. I can't seem to find any information, can you help me? While it does run the foot pedal has a hair trigger and it races on contact. Will this machine take regular needles? Could this machine be made into a hand crank machine? If so are the ones that say new on e-bay the ones I would use?

Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks ahead for your help.
I like the machine, and you will find out that this could be your favorite go to machine like my "Universal" 15!!

The foot pedal is bad and it is more than likely the original. The thing has a short in there some where and sometimes you can clean them up and they will work but for a few dollars you can buy a new one for it.

Hank crank conversion I don't know about. The handwheel will have to be changed out to a spoked one for it to work but the shafts might be different diameter. Japanese are on the metric system Singer isnt. If anything toss the rascal into a Singer treadle and use it like you stole it!! Thats how I use mine and the nice thing is you can drop the feed dogs and FMQ!!

MY Japanese 15 is the ONLY machine I use for FMQ.

Billy
Old 06-18-2010, 06:42 PM

Thank you so much. Does it use a regular needle?
Is that what it is a 15?
Old 06-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Thank you so much. Does it use a regular needle?
I am sorry yes stupid Billy...... :roll:

Yes it takes the good ol 15x1's , and threads from your left, and the thread path is the same as the Singer 15. I

It is a Japanese 15

Sorry about dropping the ball on that one...... :oops:

Billy