Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 212 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 112 162 202 211 212 213 222 262 312 712 1212 ... LastLast
Results 5,276 to 5,300 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Silly question, with the presserfoot down is it lined up with the feed dogs or is it cocked a little to the side? Like it is wanting to go one way and the feed dogs are going straight.

Billy
    The feet look fine. Guess I just need to get used to sewing w/these machines, they are a bit different from the electrics.

Is there a rule of thumb for pressure of the presser foot? How do I determine if there is "enough" pressure? (of course except for the already noted amount of too little and the fabric does not move) :)

Thanks,
    Jenna

Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles

Billy, Miz Johnny, this is so small -- it is a 3/4 size? So what model is the machine? A model 27? Billy/Miz Johnny can you tell me what I bought today? It runs sooooo smooth and it is so cute and small!!!! Yes, it is #15,081840, an 1898? Geeze, I feel sooooo lucky!

Nancy
    The machine is a 28 with Victorian decals; Needlebar shows your cabinet here:

http://needlebar.org/cm~nb/displayimage.php?album=497&pos=3

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Billy, Miz Johnny, this is so small -- it is a 3/4 size? So what model is the machine? A model 27? Billy/Miz Johnny can you tell me what I bought today? It runs sooooo smooth and it is so cute and small!!!! Yes, it is #15,081840, an 1898? Geeze, I feel sooooo lucky!

Nancy
    The machine is a 28 with Victorian decals; Needlebar shows your cabinet here:

http://needlebar.org/cm~nb/displayimage.php?album=497&pos=3
    Wow, Miz Johnny that is my exact machine! Thank you!

Nancy

Looking at Nancy's 28hc, and using mine today (128k hc), brought to mind a question. There is a piece that goes between the spokes of the wheel that is attached to the crank and is what turns the wheel. (w/me so far?) On mine there is a piece of rubber, but due to age, and use I guess, the rubber has been worn down to nothing on the sides. Because of that it makes a tinkling noise. It looks like there is a staple or something holding that rubber part on. Now the question...can that thing be flipped out, and then the rubber replaced?

Because this may be very confussing if you are not familiar w/the hc, I will try to get a pic posted.

Thanks for the help,
    Jenna

thank you dunster and linda iam thrilld that was so easy for me thank you agin suzieQ

Quote Originally Posted by jenna p in ga
    Ugh, bad sewing day!!! The tension is messed up on my Brother (newer electric) and no matter what I try I can not get it right. So, I head to the treadle...it pushes the top fabric so much that it ends up off by 1/4" or more at the end of the seam, and the same w/the hand crank! I am working on a dress and am now so frustrated I have stopped sewing for the day.

Those of you that use your treadles often, how do you keep the top fabric from getting pushed so much? I am not talking about multiple layers, just two. I have tried adjusting the presser foot pressure and see no change, except if it is too loose the fabric does not move at all! And pinning, but the fabric pushes to the pin then will fold over if I don't remove the pin. (hope that made sense)

I guess some days are just not meant for sewing. And, now my Brother is going to have to get serviced or something to get the tension corrected...that is frustrating enough since it should be a simple fix!!!

I feel better having vented a bit :).

Thanks,
    Jenna

Jenna, Take a triangular piece of fabric about the size of a nickle--place it under the presser foot and sew thru to the end and just two or three stitches past the piece then sew the dress piece or whatever you are sewing then when you're done with that seam remove the first "leader" and place it at the end- sewing thru the piece + a few empty stitches and snip your piece off. You can make a few of these leaders and enders and just trim off all the threads when they get too hairy. I started doing this about 20 years ago and I have never had a problem with the fabric being pushed down since. For some reason the thread in the leader keeps the fabric from going down in the bobbin area. You could also try to get a straight stitch plate The plate has a single hole as opposed to a slot. The fabric won't get caught in a straight stitch plate.

Quote Originally Posted by jenna p in ga
    Looking at Nancy's 28hc, and using mine today (128k hc), brought to mind a question. There is a piece that goes between the spokes of the wheel that is attached to the crank and is what turns the wheel. (w/me so far?) On mine there is a piece of rubber, but due to age, and use I guess, the rubber has been worn down to nothing on the sides. Because of that it makes a tinkling noise. It looks like there is a staple or something holding that rubber part on. Now the question...can that thing be flipped out, and then the rubber replaced?

Because this may be very confussing if you are not familiar w/the hc, I will try to get a pic posted.

Thanks for the help,
    Jenna
    If you can't get the lever to "flip out" (I constantly flip out), loosen the nut holding the HC to the machine and move it that way. The rubber piece can be replaced with anything that fits--tubing (I'm thinking aquarium, but guess it's not big enough), section of rubber hose, even the rubber bands off broccoi in a pinch!!

Quote Originally Posted by Honchey
    Jenna, Take a triangular piece of fabric about the size of a nickle--place it under the presser foot and sew thru to the end and just two or three stitches past the piece then sew the dress piece or whatever you are sewing then when you're done with that seam remove the first "leader" and place it at the end- sewing thru the piece + a few empty stitches and snip your piece off. You can make a few of these leaders and enders and just trim off all the threads when they get too hairy. I started doing this about 20 years ago and I have never had a problem with the fabric being pushed down since. For some reason the thread in the leader keeps the fabric from going down in the bobbin area. You could also try to get a straight stitch plate The plate has a single hole as opposed to a slot. The fabric won't get caught in a straight stitch plate.
    I have heard of using leaders and enders but have not tried it (bonnie hunters site is great!). I will give that a go and see if it helps.

Thanks for the tip,
    Jenna

Nancy,
    Wow major pitty pat factor!!! You did wonderful! very pretty cabinet and machine.

If you can't get the lever to "flip out" (I constantly flip out), loosen the nut holding the HC to the machine and move it that way. The rubber piece can be replaced with anything that fits--tubing (I'm thinking aquarium, but guess it's not big enough), section of rubber hose, even the rubber bands off broccoi in a pinch!!
    LOL, I try not to flip out but sometimes it does happen :lol: !!!

Is it supposed to flip out or is mine stuck?

And thanks for the rubber replacement ideas.

What a beautiful machine! Oh my. You did great.

Banned
    In a pinch the rubber bands off of broccoli will fix all sorts of things from the friction wheels on the motors to the bobbin tires. And I just thought they were for rubber band wars...

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    And I just thought they were for rubber band wars...

Billy
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    Nancy,
    Wow major pitty pat factor!!! You did wonderful! very pretty cabinet and machine.
    Thank you one and all who love my new 28 hand crank singer with the really neat cabinet! My hand crank turns very easily, no clicking sounds with mine. I don't think they used the hand crank much as the carpet on my treadle is the only thing in bad shape on my whole cabinet! Someone did a lot of treadling with this machine! They wore a path all the way through the carpet! Wouldn't it be cool if these old machines could talk -- I'd love to hear what she made!

I still can't believe my find today! My DH says I have to stop, we are running out of places to put these machines!

Anyway, I love having this group to share with -- you guys make it so much fun to find these old machines!

Nancy

Blog Entries

Major score, Nancy--THIS is the I was speaking of earlier when I commented that I had put so much money into it because I wanted it!! Yours is doubly cool because it holds a 3/4 sized machine!! I have a VS II in mine. Again, great score!!
    Hello Miz Johnny, what is a VS II? Are you talking about a machine you said you paid $400 for earlier? I think it was you that said that?

And what is a badged machine?

Also, how did you know this is a 3/4 size machine? It does measure the same as my 99k so I know you are right, but how did you know that? Are the Model 28's all 3/4 size machines?

Sorry, I am asking so many questions, but I am trying to learn!

Nancy

i just got a white super delux orecision sewing machine E-6354 on the underneith it has number 658-8491 i tryed to posy a picture but coukdnt maby tomorrow

Blog Entries
    http://www.sandman-collectibles.com/...r-machines.htm

I know most of you guys have been to this web site, but for those of you that have trouble indentifying your vintage Singers, this site has some really great picturs and explainations on how to identify your machines.

Nancy

Hello Miz Johnny, what is a VS II? Are you talking about a machine you said you paid $400 for earlier? I think it was you that said that?

And what is a badged machine?

Also, how did you know this is a 3/4 size machine? It does measure the same as my 99k so I know you are right, but how did you know that? Are the Model 28's all 3/4 size machines?

Sorry, I am asking so many questions, but I am trying to learn!

Nancy
    A VS II is a vibrating shuttle machine with fiddle base. (There's also a VS I, but they were only made for 2 years and are rarely found--I've had only 2 through here in all my years of hunting and gathering.) They look like a Singer 27 except for the fiddle base.

A badged machine is one made by one of the major manufacturers for another company, and instead of the manufacturer's name will have what ever name the company wants. For instance, Sears bought machines from National, Davis, Domestic, Standard, White, and Goodrich and badged them all "Minnesota".

Model 28/128 and model 99 are all 3/4 size; measure the bed of the machine and you will see it is 6 1/2" x 12" as opposed to the full-sized machines dimensions of 7" x 14 3/4".

As for mine, I bought the cabinet with a not-so-nice head, then bought another cabinet with a beautiful head and put the two together, then sold the 2nd cabinet with yet another VS II head I had around here. (I still have two VS II heads in rather rough condition around here; I had been trying to put this one together for a while!)

I bought this one for the cabinet (like yours)
    Name:  Attachment-81495.jpe
Views: 134
Size:  46.8 KB

and this one for the machine
    Name:  Attachment-81597.jpe
Views: 125
Size:  65.4 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny!

[/quote

A VS II is a vibrating shuttle machine with fiddle base. (There's also a VS I, but they were only made for 2 years and are rarely found--I've had only 2 through here in all my years of hunting and gathering.) They look like a Singer 27 except for the fiddle base.

A badged machine is one made by one of the major manufacturers for another company, and instead of the manufacturer's name will have what ever name the company wants. For instance, Sears bought machines from National, Davis, Domestic, Standard, White, and Goodrich and badged them all "Minnesota".

Model 28/128 and model 99 are all 3/4 size; measure the bed of the machine and you will see it is 6 1/2" x 12" as opposed to the full-sized machines dimensions of 7" x 14 3/4".

As for mine, I bought the cabinet with a not-so-nice head, then bought another cabinet with a beautiful head and put the two together, then sold the 2nd cabinet with yet another VS II head I had around here. (I still have two VS II heads in rather rough condition around here; I had been trying to put this one together for a while!)
    Wow, so I have two 3/4 size machines now -- a 99K and the 28 I got yesterday!

Ok a badged machine is made by a major manufacturer and labeled something else, so how do we know it is a 'badged' machine? Knowing what is a 'badged' machine and what is not, is that just something you have to learn or is there some reference somewhere with that information? Does it matter that it is a 'badged' machine?

I am still very excited over my hand crank 1898 that I found yesterday! I now have 5 treadles, oh my!

Miz Johnny, that is a beautiful machine and cabinet you have! Is the smaller cabinet original?

Nancy

Blog Entries
    OMG, I have just won an ebay auction for a FW222! I am still sitting here shaking. I had no idea I was going to buy this, but I couldn't resist putting in a late bid.

It was a similar situation to when I bought my white one, hardly any bids because it has a 240v motor (which is what Ireland uses). Now I just have to wait to hear from the vendor about cost of shipping to get it here. Without the shipping, I got it for $376.52!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Was that a bargain, or was it a bargain? I just looked up to see if I could see how old it is, and it's another one of those things where I can't see 'my' serial number mentioned. It's quoted as EK631023. Billy, can you help please?

If you want a peek, you can see it here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Congratulations! It looks sew fine! I know nothing about them.

Blog Entries
    Lesley,

A quick peek at the serial number chart shows August 16, 1955 with 10,000 machines authorized that day....good buy, to say the least....WAY TO GO LADY!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcene
    Lesley,

A quick peek at the serial number chart shows August 16, 1955 with 10,000 machines authorized that day....good buy, to say the least....WAY TO GO LADY!!!!!
    Still shaking Darcene - thank you for the date, I couldn't find it mentioned on the Singer site. There is another one on ebay at the moment, again with a 240v motor, and its priced at almost $700. I'm still not sure whether I have done something clever or stupid! Did I really need another machine? I think it was more a want than a need, plus it seemd such a bargain at the time.

EC
    [quote=Lacelady]

Did I really need another machine? I think it was more a want than a need [quote]

I know I have to stop "wanting" because I'm "needing" more space!!

Blog Entries
    Very nice machine looks as if it's hardly been used. You are a very lucky lacelady. I would love to have one but cost way toooo much over here. :mrgreen: