Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2661 of 4413 FirstFirst ... 1661 2161 2561 2611 2651 2660 2661 2662 2671 2711 2761 3161 3661 ... LastLast
Results 26,601 to 26,610 of 44122

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

I was over at Fleamasters today, and a man had an old Singer, and was intersted in selling it to me for $150. uh, no. I picked up the cord, no longer attached to the machine. He said, "Oh, that's the old cord. This one is okay, it runs fine." Uh, no. I am sure you all know what black licorice twists look like. Imagine a long long twist, left out in the sun and sand for about 100 years, and then a rat got to gnaw on it for a few months. That is about what this cord looked like. On the best part of it.

There's just this little voice in me that says.....if this is how the cord looks, what the heck happened to the rest of the machine? No....I don't think so, not even for $50, much less $150. He said, the machine is from 1914. Yeah, I have seen older machines in a lot better condition.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by auniqueview
    I was over at Fleamasters today, and a man had an old Singer, and was intersted in selling it to me for $150. uh, no. I picked up the cord, no longer attached to the machine. He said, "Oh, that's the old cord. This one is okay, it runs fine." Uh, no. I am sure you all know what black licorice twists look like. Imagine a long long twist, left out in the sun and sand for about 100 years, and then a rat got to gnaw on it for a few months. That is about what this cord looked like. On the best part of it.

There's just this little voice in me that says.....if this is how the cord looks, what the heck happened to the rest of the machine? No....I don't think so, not even for $50, much less $150. He said, the machine is from 1914. Yeah, I have seen older machines in a lot better condition.
    There are some out there that just don't get it do they?

I would be terrified to plug it in. I have already been electrocuted once. That is enough to last me a lifetime. I lucked out then, and don't want to push my luck.

Some people just don't get that old and antique don't always mean valuable. I have some antiques around here that the only real value is sentimental, and to me, they are priceless. To others, not so much. But at least, none are dangerous or disgusting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by auniqueview
    I would be terrified to plug it in. I have already been electrocuted once. That is enough to last me a lifetime. I lucked out then, and don't want to push my luck.

Some people just don't get that old and antique don't always mean valuable. I have some antiques around here that the only real value is sentimental, and to me, they are priceless. To others, not so much. But at least, none are dangerous or disgusting.
    Always check wires on these old machines. You are right they can be very dangerous. DH checks mine very thoroughly. He's rewired quite a few for me.

Blog Entries
    DH just sent a link to this one on Murphy's laws of sewing
    http://www.murphys-laws.com/murphy/murphy-sewing.html enjoy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    I love it! And your machines look mighty cute all dressed up! :)

Couldn't buy a sewing machine today to save my life, but I did learn that little old ladies stick money in the strangest places. Bought a $3 bag of red mohair yarn from an estate sale today and found a 1921 Morgan silver dollar in with it.

What I did do today was scrub the innards of the White.

Also saw a Singer 206k in a shop today. Looked interesting...but too expensive for me.

Rub a dub, FR in the tub!
    Name:  Attachment-279003.jpe
Views: 71
Size:  85.4 KB

Sittin' in the sun, enjoying some rays.
    Name:  Attachment-279004.jpe
Views: 74
Size:  113.9 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    I love it! And your machines look mighty cute all dressed up! :)
    It sounds like we are getting shut down for a while tomorrow. I had a bit of fun dressing them up. Maybe I'll do some more tomorrow. Next time I put one on CL I'm thinking I'm going to dress it up a bit. CL won't be the same will it??? That gray one looks like a machine for a boy to learn on doesn't it. It sews rather gutsy too - gotta love it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett
    Couldn't buy a sewing machine today to save my life, but I did learn that little old ladies stick money in the strangest places. Bought a $3 bag of red mohair yarn from an estate sale today and found a 1921 Morgan silver dollar in with it.

What I did do today was scrub the innards of the White.

Also saw a Singer 206k in a shop today. Looked interesting...but too expensive for me.
    Bennett - it is looking a whole bunch better. More like a cookie. People seem to have inflated ideas what some of the machines are worth if they are selling them and it works the other way when I'm trying to sell one. :roll:

Blog Entries
    Miriam, I like the way you dressed your machines. I should do that to some of mine for Christmas :lol:
    Glenn