Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-28-2011, 04:31 AM

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. I know there's an Elna because of the green case, but haven't checked everything out. Will have to decide wheather to clean up and sell or sell as is. Of course some will find a spot somewhere in my house. Will continue to bring it all home next week. Will try to take pictures then. Leaving this am for short trip to see sisters and they don't have computers.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
boy, it has taken me a week to get caught up on the thread. There has been some great machines and information posted this last month. :)

Here are my two latest purchases. I have been actually sewing instead of cleaning machines but now that it is getting cooler I will try to spend some time in the garage. I am running out of room.

This is Davis VF2 that I picked up in Lincoln, NE when I was back for my nephew's wedding. Came home in my carryon luggage. Serial number is 1064910 last patent date is May 18th 1885. I hope the flowers are as pretty as yours Glenn.

2nd is unidentified handcrank. I just picked it up last night off CL. This is the worst condition one I have ever gotten. I don't know if I will ever get it working. There is so much rust. But the needle bar and pressure foot will move. No movement in the transvers shuttle though. And there is no shuttle or bobbin.
Love them both, but that handcrank has me by the heartstrings. Don't know what it is, but I'll bet it is German. Keep us posted. Lots of penetrating oil and a good looooong dip in the kerosene. Does miracles. If you give up, send her my way. :-D

Texas Jan
Old 10-28-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
I have a Ruby, but haven't used her yet. She was another junk heap find, but looking good now. I was told she was probably a Davis made machine. Texas Jan
Jan, WHAT a transformation of that Ruby! Phew! Beautiful...
Old 10-28-2011, 05:37 AM

Does anyone know how to remove the handwheel from a White FR? There is what looks like a large screw head in the middle of it, but when I take a screw driver to it, it just turns the entire mechanism for the machine, it doesn't unscrew. I can make the handwheel disconnect and turn freely (as for bobbin winding), but I can't figure out how to get it off completely. It's nasty grimy and needs some TLC. :)
Old 10-28-2011, 05:38 AM

Here are my two latest purchases.

2nd is unidentified handcrank. I just picked it up last night off CL. This is the worst condition one I have ever gotten. I don't know if I will ever get it working. There is so much rust. But the needle bar and pressure foot will move. No movement in the transvers shuttle though. And there is no shuttle or bobbin.
Hi quilt addict. WHAT a FIND! That handcrank is a handmade, German Hengstenberg machine! High end for it's time-super german manufacturing and should clean up/work well I hope! Hugo Hengstenberg set up his factory in 1875, copied the most successful machine of the time: Singers model 12 New Family machine of 1865. Then he 'improved' it. A bit later, they made this most popular Transverse shuttle. It has a spring loaded catch on the base, and a handcrank has a upper gear case screw 'bump'.

The badge is unique. Three towered castle, the central tower being a church dome over an open gate to a city. This badge was the used for the H machines distributed through J. Silberg of Hamberg.

Information and picture of badge found on Alex Askaroff/sewalot website. Check out this page: http://www.sewalot.com/hengstenberg_machine_history.htm
Old 10-28-2011, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by auniqueview
Most of the Dressmakers were made by White. I'm afraid I failed to find a free manual for you... :(

Did you oil the machine before you started sewing?

No, I didn't oil it. I have the instruction manual, a real plus. It shows how to open the face at the needle area, no problem, and a bird's eye view of the machine, but I am not sure how to get in there. I am hesitant to start removing screws and bits and pieces, without knowing what I am doing. I REALLY don't want to screw this machine up.

I understand from what I found on the net that Dressmaker is out of business, but the machines are still popular. Was White a Japanese company?
White is an America company, but after WW11 they moved the company to Japan. In the 1950's all production of White's machines went to Japan.

Nancy
Old 10-28-2011, 05:50 AM

boy, it has taken me a week to get caught up on the thread. There has been some great machines and information posted this last month. :)

Here are my two latest purchases. I have been actually sewing instead of cleaning machines but now that it is getting cooler I will try to spend some time in the garage. I am running out of room.

This is Davis VF2 that I picked up in Lincoln, NE when I was back for my nephew's wedding. Came home in my carryon luggage. Serial number is 1064910 last patent date is May 18th 1885. I hope the flowers are as pretty as yours Glenn.

Lisa, love the HC and the Davis, but just a warning those Davis decals come off really easily - so be careful when you clean her!

Nancy
Old 10-28-2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by auniqueview
It certainly seems to be a well built machine. Of course, lol, I am the least likely person to judge sewing machines, since I have only recently "made friends" with more than the first Brother that I have had a non-aggression treaty with for years.

My mother was a wonderful seamstress, but she must have taken a dislike to me the day I was born. I'm lucky the woman in the bed next to her had a girl, because I am named after that baby. My dad was gone most of my life, working on construction crews that worked on the big dams, etc, and then, became so ill that he spent the rest of the time in the hospital, where I did not get to see him, and died when I was 14. I was pretty much an inconvenience, except to keep an eye on my brother. We lived with my grandmother, but she died when I was 8.

My gm had a great treadle machine, and I tried sewing on it, without any instructions, but as soon as I showed an interest, poof...she got rid of it. Same deal with the upright piano, lol, so no, I don't play, either. I never learned how to sew, but took up other crafts on my own. But I made up my mind I would learn how to not only sew, but would learn how to quilt. I am determined to take a quilt to our family reunion in 2014, for the family auction. And I seldom give up on anything.

My dh is starting to wonder about me, and my quest for the "right" sewing machine. I have tried to explain to him why I keep looking for another machine, but I don't think he really gets it. I think I am going to hand him the one quilt that I started to replace/repair a square (4x4) on, and see HIM roll it tight enough to get it under the needle and turn it. Then he might really understand. We will NOT discuss my hand sewing, lol.

I am not a complete novice, and have made my dogs some outfits, and some nice beds for them and for friend's dogs. Today I totally drove myself nuts, because I kept making the same dumb mistake on a simple dog bed. Fortunately, I pin them, turn them, pin them, turn them, checking before I sew. I am NOT ripping something the size of a bed, lol. Finally it hit me....turn the piece over, dummy. I did, pinned it in place, but have left the sewing til tomorrow. Some days I wonder where I left my brain?

I really appreciate all the help I am getting from the people on the board, and all the great ideas and inspirations from seeing the wonderful quilts and other items. Thanks, everyone.
Auniqueview, what story! Some of us could not even imagine a childhood like yours! It so so nice to hear in your words that you have triumphed!

Nancy
Old 10-28-2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
I got one for free today...not sure of the age, it's an industrial Brother...tan...actually has a zigzag, which surprised me! Can't wait to have William help me move it so I can play with it a bit!! The thing is HUGE, so am not sure where I'll be able to put it, but I'll figure out something!! ;)
Charlee are you going to post a picture of the Brother?

Nancy
Old 10-28-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Well, I was wrong about all the machines in the area being sent to shopgoodwill.com. These have been listed several times and no one has reached the reserve price yet:
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8808723
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8782509

But - I stopped into the local Goodwill to look for candlesticks, didn't find them, but I saw a sewing machine cabinet. Opened it up and saw a really grubby looking plastic Singer 647. As I was closing the top, I look over and on the floor I spy something blue --- they missed a White Model 65, a J-A15. In a case with a couple of extra feet and a half dozen number 15 bobbins. I tried it out in the store-it runs smooth and quiet. The price? $13.99. The belt is like new - and the undersides are the cleanest I've seen in an old machine. It came home with me. So much for not buying any more machines!
Deplaylady, I love the White! She is so clean and slick looking - a really nice looking machine. I'd of gotten her for $13.99! In fact, I have gotten a few of those machines -if they are cheap enough - I take them home, clean them up; and if I don't want to keep them I donate them to Hospice.

Nancy