Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2972 of 4416 FirstFirst ... 1972 2472 2872 2922 2962 2971 2972 2973 2982 3022 3072 3472 3972 ... LastLast
Results 29,711 to 29,720 of 44160

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lee231 View Post
    Phyllis nm,

Your pics of the New Home look great. I think the machine isn't threaded right, the thread take up spring is the only thing I see wrong. The thread is suppose to be behind the wire hoop and you take a loop between the wires and pull it in front of the take up spring. HTH's

I agree with this statement...my Davis VF threads just like lee231 said...it goes to the left of the wire hoop, and then draw it forward to the right around the take up spring.

Blog Entries
    Is this correct? I had to use a floss threader to thread it. A pain in the *** to thread if this is right. Thanks ladies.Name:  CIMG0758.JPG
Views: 263
Size:  617.1 KB

Blog Entries
    I have cleaned this head but is it ok to clean the patina off. There is little spot on the nose I cleaned to deep and the original color shines through.

Blog Entries
    Here's a New Home in Ohio for $60 on eBay....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Home-Tre...item416113a9eb

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis nm View Post
    Is this correct? I had to use a floss threader to thread it. A pain in the *** to thread if this is right. Thanks ladies.Name:  CIMG0758.JPG
Views: 263
Size:  617.1 KB
    Yes, that thread path is correct. It showed that way in my Davis book, and the faceplate and tension components look exactly the same as your pic.

The way I do it is hold the thread loosely with my left hand behind the wire loop on the left, then reach one finger of my right hand behind the loop from the right and pull the thread to the right and over the take up lever. It's really easy that way.
    Last edited by jljack; 01-06-2012 at 11:29 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis nm View Post
    I have cleaned this head but is it ok to clean the patina off. There is little spot on the nose I cleaned to deep and the original color shines through.
    Yes, you can clean it all up to original colors...the "patina" is just old gunky dirt...clean it with cotton balls, Dawn liquid detergent and sewing machine oil. For the metal parts, use Barkeeper's Friend, which is sort of like BonAmi cleanser, but not abrasive. It works great!

Phyllis nm,

That's it as far as I know. A knitting needle works real good to hook the thread from between the wires.
    Last edited by lee231; 01-06-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Blog Entries
    Ok, Iíll use a chenille needle to thread it, I use one to hide threads when quilting. I donít have to hunt one of them.
    And I might try baking soda to deep clean. I use it cleaning stuff, it does not scratch. i used goop and you see the results, it did not touch it.
    Last edited by Phyllis nm; 01-06-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Phyllis,
    I think my purple pink New Home must have looked like yours at sometime in its life. I'd always wondered what the original decals must have looked like. I bought it in the purple pink "dress". I need to clean the thread path more as it turns my thread black; so it doesn't get used; she's just a pretty face. )
    Sharon W. in Texas

Blog Entries