Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-28-2012, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Texas Jan, Your machine looks more like the National Governor A machine. Google National Governor A sewing machine for an image.
I see what you mean. Yours has a bobbin winder like mine. I took a better picture of it so you can see. I imagine they were all "kissing cousins" to one another.

Texas Jan
Attached Thumbnails bobbin-winder.jpg  
Old 02-28-2012, 10:22 AM

I say if one is considering purchasing a new sewing machine, ask yourself for what type of projects and jobs that you will be mainly doing with the machine. Is it just straight stitch sewing with a little bit of zigzag? Will you really be using any of the decorative stitching, and if so how often? Buttonholes, although Singer's buttonholer attachment is the best in my opinion.

If you are just going to use straight stitch then I would look for a vintage Singer with motor (I'm one of the few nuts that likes to treadle), for example: Singer 15-90/91, 201.
And if you want zigzag with some decorative stitches then Singer 401a, 500a or even the Singer 328.
You could also go with a Necchi Supernova, but why I suggest the Singers over the Necchi is because of parts.
Most likely you will never have to worry about a part if your machine is in great shape, but there is always the what if or if it does break. Singer parts are easy to find, just find another cheap machine that has the part.

All can be found cheap on CLs or garage sales, just have to keep an eye out for the deals.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

I say if one is considering purchasing a new sewing machine, ask yourself for what type of projects and jobs that you will be mainly doing with the machine. Is it just straight stitch sewing with a little bit of zigzag? Will you really be using any of the decorative stitching, and if so how often? Buttonholes, although Singer's buttonholer attachment is the best in my opinion.

If you are just going to use straight stitch then I would look for a vintage Singer with motor (I'm one of the few nuts that likes to treadle), for example: Singer 15-90/91, 201.
And if you want zigzag with some decorative stitches then Singer 401a, 500a or even the Singer 328.
You could also go with a Necchi Supernova, but why I suggest the Singers over the Necchi is because of parts.
Most likely you will never have to worry about a part if your machine is in great shape, but there is always the what if or if it does break. Singer parts are easy to find, just find another cheap machine that has the part.

All can be found cheap on CLs or garage sales, just have to keep an eye out for the deals.
Hey there are some other really nice older machines out there. They do an awful lot, are well made and will go for years. Singer 503, 403, there are some really nice old Kenmore machines, J. C. Penny - made by Necchi, Elna, Viking (those Vikings some times have issues with cam stacks though) Pfaff, Bernina, some of the old Japanese machines are pretty cool. I wish you were here, I could show you some stuff. If you line up something special ask and someone on here will know the quirks most likely. Sit down in front of the machine you are wanting. Can you see the needle with out craning your neck? How does the machine feel? When you turn it does it feel smooth? When you run it how does it sound? Give me any of the above and I can sew just fine. If you want to do machine embroidery you better want to do a LOT of it or just pay someone to do it for you - much cheaper and none of the head aches. LOL...
Old 02-28-2012, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
I see what you mean. Yours has a bobbin winder like mine. I took a better picture of it so you can see. I imagine they were all "kissing cousins" to one another.

Texas Jan
I agree that they are "kissing cousins". My bobbin winder rotates so that it is out of the way to get to the stitch regulator. And this is what my plate on the top left looks like.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]316128[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]316129[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]316130[/ATTACH]
I really do need to spend more hours cleaning this machine, but then I want to quilt too.
Attached Thumbnails img_4167.jpg   img_4164.jpg   img_4166.jpg  
Old 02-28-2012, 12:42 PM

You name it, I'm hoarding it. Mostly fabric. I have enough to start my own store. Now that fabric is up to $10 plus a yard, I won't be hoarding quite so much, so glad I have this great stash to go to!!
Miz Johnny, Please just post one photo of this pile! I would love to see what you are hoarding!!!!
Old 02-28-2012, 12:56 PM

This board is REALLY getting hard for me to post on. It either eats the posts or I get an error message when I try to go to the next page. Anyway, I was TRYING TO SAY I have a similar model--this looks like it MIGHT be a 19; mine is a 21-E. Nice old machines.
Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
I saw this ad on Craigslist. The ad just says Antique Viking, no picture or anything else. I asked for a photo and this is what I got! Isn't it cute! I want that one too - but, DH will KILL me![ATTACH=CONFIG]315968[/ATTACH]
Old 02-28-2012, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Oh sheese!! What is this thread coming to? Glenn's showing his drawers, Miriam's flashing her legs....

I tell ya....

I think I saw Miriaim's legs when we were looking for a dropped screw, oh I am sorry I would like to see the legs on this cabinet.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:04 PM

I had that problem with a newer Viking. When I took it apart, I found a piece had come loose. I don't remember exactly what the part was called now, but it had the word "clutch" in it, and was simply a U shaped piece. I put it back where it belonged and had a working machine.
Originally Posted by sew wishful View Post
I have one of these, but the bobbin winder is all messed up....I can't get it out of the "engaged" mode! So the motor whines, but the needle doesn't go up and down. Hope that describes it... I love the machine's look, too, but it needs someone smarter than me to work on it. (Talking about the green Viking).
Old 02-28-2012, 01:07 PM

I agree that they are "kissing cousins". My bobbin winder rotates so that it is out of the way to get to the stitch regulator. And this is what my plate on the top left looks like.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]316128[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]316129[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]316130[/ATTACH]
I really do need to spend more hours cleaning this machine, but then I want to quilt too.
Now mine doesn't rotate like that. REally neat !! I need to clean mine from start to finish, but haven't got there either. Oh well---

Texas Jan
Old 02-28-2012, 01:07 PM

Jan I love the parlor cabinet with the Domestic machine. Really a nice looking cabinet.