Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-24-2012, 01:47 PM

I consider sewing blocks to be a good excuse to pet a machine!
Old 03-24-2012, 02:03 PM

Went to a yard sale today - it's finally not rainy and/or cloudy. Anyway, got a mostly finished quilt top for $10 and a "Meet the Sunbonnet children" pattern book for $3. The pattern book is interesting as it was put together by a lady in Baldwin City, KS, in 1979 and there are approximately 48 different pairs of Sue and Sam plus one mother. Mom is somewhere but have not seen her yet in the pattern. It is a just a copy of the pattern book but couldn't say no for $3. I will post pics l;ater opf quilt blocks to be completed plus a couple of the book.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
by hand..........
:d:d:d:d:d!!!
Old 03-24-2012, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
I consider sewing blocks to be a good excuse to pet a machine!
Yes, but who needs an excuse?

pat
Old 03-24-2012, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
Wow, that Japanning article was very interesting. I wonder if anyone tried using a double boiler to help melt the asphaltum, or if patience, which is thin to win around here, and letting it dissolve naturally the best way. I have got to try it; I have a Singer 128 that is toasted anyway, and can only be better than it is. If any body does this, tell results. Please. And Thanks.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/archive/.../t-15385.html? tells more about it, and yes to the double boiler.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
I have not mentioned the shellac thing with these old ladies because it was not my thread and the the tut on cleaning the heads was written by someone else and was not mentioned although he knew the clear coat was shellac over the decals and the machine. When I get back from camping and fishing in a week I will do a tut on it. Not very hard to do. It is quick too.
~hands on hips~ Ok Skip...this is your official warning!! Do NOT be holding out on us again Mister!! ~wink and a grin~ I'll be trying to patiently wait for your tute!
Old 03-24-2012, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Went to a yard sale today - it's finally not rainy and/or cloudy. Anyway, got a mostly finished quilt top for $10 and a "Meet the Sunbonnet children" pattern book for $3. The pattern book is interesting as it was put together by a lady in Baldwin City, KS, in 1979 and there are approximately 48 different pairs of Sue and Sam plus one mother. Mom is somewhere but have not seen her yet in the pattern. It is a just a copy of the pattern book but couldn't say no for $3. I will post pics l;ater opf quilt blocks to be completed plus a couple of the book.
Sounds like you got a good deal Chris! Is the quilt top a Sue/Sam top or something else?
Old 03-24-2012, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
~hands on hips~ Ok Skip...this is your official warning!! Do NOT be holding out on us again Mister!! ~wink and a grin~ I'll be trying to patiently wait for your tute!
Ok Charlee I will not hold anything back again. I am warned but you know I get shell shocked sometimes because I don't want to offend anyone.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Ok Charlee I will not hold anything back again. I am warned but you know I get shell shocked sometimes because I don't want to offend anyone.
What's that quote? "It's easier to beg forgiveness than to obtain permission"!!!
Old 03-24-2012, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Sounds like you got a good deal Chris! Is the quilt top a Sue/Sam top or something else?
No, not a Sunbonnet Sue or Sam. It is a star top which I am gooogling to try to find out which pattern the original quilter used. She did it by hand but I'm "gonna not really quilt and use my machine" to finish up some piecing. The remark in quotes was from a gal yesterday who said I didn't really quilt because I used a machine from start to finish and she wanted to really learn how to quilt from someone who does it the right way. Man, the lady can't even quilt and she's quilt policing already. Good thing I had my company manners on yesterday.
FYI: Just found the name. It is the LeMoyne star done in a light blue outer with plain muslin and a small pattern for the star poiints. I will be adding color, probably another blue for the border.

Last edited by chris_quilts; 03-24-2012 at 03:19 PM.