Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3290 of 4369 FirstFirst ... 2290 2790 3190 3240 3280 3289 3290 3291 3300 3340 3390 3790 4290 ... LastLast
Results 32,891 to 32,900 of 43688

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #32891
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Central CA - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,068
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Ya know, I get the same things from friends, but they all know I love to sew so they just laugh and tease my husband about all the sewing machines. Besides, they all know the sewing maching addiction is much better than my other addiction of lots of Chihuahuas and horses! I am down to 7 horses and only 2 Chihuahuas, although I have been bugging my DH for 3 months to let my add 'one more horse and one more Chihuahua' to our life! He won't budge on that one!

    Nancy
    Nancy, at least the machines don't have to be fed!! Once purchased and fixed/cleaned up, they don't take any extra money!! One reason my DH hasn't started asking me to sell any of mine.

  2. #32892
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,573
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Nope! No can do!! Not going into a storage unit!! NO WAY! I'd have to go out there to sew...they'd get ignored... not happening!
    Charlee, it is not so bad being in a storage unit if you have it arranged so you can go in there and sew! I have my cargo unit set up so I can sit out there and treadle away on a nice day - and just enjoy being outside! The whole end opens up - double doors like on all cargo units - so I can open the double doors out completely. I then can just sit out there enjoying the outdoors and sew away on any of a number of treadles! Granted, I won't be able to use the electric ones unless I run an extension cord from the tool shed that sits next door! I love being 'out of the house' and this is a perfect situation for me!~ The only time it would be bad is on nasty days - I sew in the house on nasty days! The cargo unit is extremely clean, sealed, no dust and I have a cutting table in there too - granted most of the time I sew inside - but, when it is nice I have my Free #5 treadle in there along with a 66, 99 hand crank, 28 hand crank, the Hales Crescent, the Minnesota H, one of my Two Spools, the Hitachi, and a few others! I am putting my 31's in the barn so I can mend tack with them whenever I need too!



    Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 03-28-2012 at 08:48 AM.

  3. #32893
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,973
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack View Post
    Annamaria, you are right...that one is a beauty!!
    Went back to look at photos of this gorgeous machine. Noticed that a person is holding the wheel to keep the machine up. When looking at the groove where the chain goes to help hold the machine up, it seems that there isn't a chain.
    For these machines to stay up in this type of cabinet the chain is needed, correct?
    It's still a very gorgeous machine and cabinet!

  4. #32894
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,510
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Charlee, it is not so bad being in a storage unit if you have it arranged so you can go in there and sew! I have my cargo unit set up so I can sit out there and treadle away on a nice day - and just enjoy being outside! The whole end opens up - double doors like on all cargo units - so I can open the double doors out completely. I then can just sit out there enjoying the outdoors and sew away on any of a number of treadles! Granted, I won't be able to use the electric ones unless I run an extension cord from the tool shed that sits next door! I love being 'out of the house' and this is a perfect situation for me!~

    Nancy
    Ah...and I am SO NOT an outdoor person! I agree to go camping a few times a year because he enjoys it, and he humors my OCDs....other than that, I'm perfectly happy shut inside of a heated/airconditioned house! Besides...if I put them out in a storage unit, I wouldn't be able to use them 8 months of the year...too cold....
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

    http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

  5. #32895
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central IL
    Posts
    6,356
    I (we) want a bigger (much) house with a full length or width screened off porch so I can sit outside and cogitate on the world or sew or drink iced tea or rock in the rocking chair I don't own.

    Nancy's comments about treadling out doors in the storage shed sounds peaceful and relaxing.

    Joe

  6. #32896
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,973
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    I (we) want a bigger (much) house with a full length or width screened off porch so I can sit outside and cogitate on the world or sew or drink iced tea or rock in the rocking chair I don't own.

    Nancy's comments about treadling out doors in the storage shed sounds peaceful and relaxing.

    Joe
    Norman Rockwell life! That sounds heavenly sitting on a screened in porch with treadles and rocking chairs watching the world go by as you sew, sip ice tea, and relax.

  7. #32897
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,573
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack View Post
    Nancy, at least the machines don't have to be fed!! Once purchased and fixed/cleaned up, they don't take any extra money!! One reason my DH hasn't started asking me to sell any of mine.
    Janice, you sound like my DH! He doesn't care what I have as long as it doesn't require a vet nor eat!

    Charlee, I am sooooooo an outdoor person! I love doing things I love outside! Working in my back yard - pulling weeds is therapeutic to me, planting flowers, riding and cleaning poop out of the stalls and paddocks, and even - YES - sewing outside in the cargo unit! What could be better? Well, here in sunny California, I can be outside 9 months or more out of the year! This year we didn't get any rain until now - the whole Month of March has poured - but the rest of the winter was beautiful! I do understand about where you live, though, being locked inside most of the year! My Aunt lives near you, and she is an outdoors person - who, hates all the rain and snow!

    Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 03-28-2012 at 09:31 AM.

  8. #32898
    Super Member jlhmnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Millville, NJ
    Posts
    1,044
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack View Post
    Good price, too, Jon. Did you go get it? Maybe a little too far?
    Tempted but no. 125 miles from me. Saving the few spots I have left for some Davis heads.

  9. #32899
    Senior Member Crossstitcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    981
    Blog Entries
    7
    I am not an outdoor person but DH built my sewing room across a driveway he uses to drive into the woods. I love going over there and sew to my hearts content. I don't even turn on a radio just the hum of the treadle or an elec. machine. In the winter I fire up the wood stove and usually by afternoon I have to open a window. DH joins me every once in a while and we have lunch I'v cooked on the stove. Then he is gone again. I come back to the house around 4 and tell him "I'm home". It's been so nice. I have several machines to choose from FW's, 301"s, Davis VF, 319,Franklin treadle and my 66 treadle.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

    Trish

  10. #32900
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    249
    That sounds heavenly! I'm hoping that turning the garage into a finished space will make a fun sewing room. It's very cool down there in the summer, so it will be quite nice to have it as living space and not just storage space. Laura
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
    I am not an outdoor person but DH built my sewing room across a driveway he uses to drive into the woods. I love going over there and sew to my hearts content. I don't even turn on a radio just the hum of the treadle or an elec. machine. In the winter I fire up the wood stove and usually by afternoon I have to open a window. DH joins me every once in a while and we have lunch I'v cooked on the stove. Then he is gone again. I come back to the house around 4 and tell him "I'm home". It's been so nice. I have several machines to choose from FW's, 301"s, Davis VF, 319,Franklin treadle and my 66 treadle.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.