Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3355 of 4416 FirstFirst ... 2355 2855 3255 3305 3345 3354 3355 3356 3365 3405 3455 3855 4355 ... LastLast
Results 33,541 to 33,550 of 44160

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #33541
    Super Member chris_quilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    leavenworth, ks
    Posts
    2,659
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
    I was at a sale that a friend was having yesterday. She had lots of antiques and fabric this sewing machine. I knew from the minute I laid eyes on her, she was going home with me. She is a Wheeler Wilson 9 handcrank, 1/2 size. I brought her home and she sews just great but needs a cleaning. Alex of
    www.Sewalot.com calls her the "Half size Half Pint Wheeler & Wilson 9". I have never seen one like her. She is very close in size to a Singer Featherweight, but weighs 20 pounds. The throad width is the same as a FW but the throat height is almost 2" higher. I am fascinated by her. Could this have been the idea that inspired the Featherweight after Singer bought Wheeler Wilson out in 1905? I don't have a firm date on her, but probably 1901 to 1905 is very close.
    Texas Jan
    Color me green with envy!!!!!
    Through Him who strengthens me, I can do all things - Paul

    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

  2. #33542
    Super Member ThayerRags's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Frederick, OK
    Posts
    1,617
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
    ....a Wheeler Wilson 9 handcrank, 1/2 size.
    Texas Jan
    Very good Jan! Thatís a neat machine! It looks like itís set up to go in a treadle too. (I think that the portable base sets into the top of the treadle top, and the front ďnotchĒ in the base is for a treadle belt path. The bobbin winder looks like it is ďdual dutyĒ?) Now you just need to find a treadle cabinet to go with it!

    I hauled home an 1889 Singer New Family Model 12 Hand Crank machine this week. I havenít done anything with it except take photos of it. Itíll replace the 1889 Singer 27-1 treadle that I had but passed on to another collector last year.

    Iím a sucker for hand cranks anyway.

    CD in Oklahoma
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

  3. #33543
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern CA near Sacramento
    Posts
    1,105
    Miriam,

    Ray is 'THE Elna Guy". I'd definitely bring the Elnas. You sound like you are covered.

    Lunch? At my classes we handled lunches several ways. I printed maps and marked all of the lunch spots near my place (usually several students would go together). I also took sandwich orders and ran to the Safeway grocery deli to pick them up. My kitchen was open to anyone that wanted to store food and then make their own lunch.

    Have fun and give Ray a HUGE hug from me.

    Cathy



    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I am ssssoooooo jealous... I have 6 or 8 old Elna's needing lots of TLC, an old Bernina, a mechanical White zzer, ditto on a Kenmore, a couple Japanese zzers (one needing to find where the extra screws came from... I have some foggy idea the approx area.) I picked up a Singer 306 yesterday and thought I would take it but it works just fine... Oh and I have a 401 with a bent stitch selector shaft... and a Genie. Then there are the old ladies.
    What about lunch? What goes for that?
    Cathy

    "Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

  4. #33544
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    13,132
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Miriam,

    Ray is 'THE Elna Guy". I'd definitely bring the Elnas. You sound like you are covered.

    Lunch? At my classes we handled lunches several ways. I printed maps and marked all of the lunch spots near my place (usually several students would go together). I also took sandwich orders and ran to the Safeway grocery deli to pick them up. My kitchen was open to anyone that wanted to store food and then make their own lunch.

    Have fun and give Ray a HUGE hug from me.

    Cathy
    I knew he was the Elna guy. I have 4 old green ones and 3 gray ones. Ok I guess there are only 7 of them. The 3 green ones need the black rubber wheel in the balance wheel changed out and they all need timing and a good cleaning. The 3 gray ones one is a mess.... I tried to fix it about 25 years ago and had no instructions... It might be good for parts. There is one I recently got - don't even know if it works. The other one for sure needs TLC. I will give Ray a big hug just for you. I've been collecting things around here to take along. I messed around in my shop today. Phil built some shelves for me to put machines on. Then he surprised me again this morning. He had taken old counter tops and put wheels on them and put them on the bottom row so I can just pull them out. Isn't he sweet? And he makes scones too. While I was there I started thinking about tools. What tools should I grab. Then yesterday I bought an old cosmetic case (luggage type mirror and all) I was going to put my screw drivers and tools in there to take to the class. But I changed my mind this morning. I put in Qtips, cosmetic pads, nail polish remover, baby oil, vaseline, tooth brush, manicure scissors, baby wipes, make up brushes, tweezers, flossers, and some paper towel pieces, panty liners... blush... (my sister says I need those...) So when one of my machines gets a make over, I'll just get out the cosmetic case and be ready for it. Now I have to figure out where the screw drivers are going to live. I had a very nice tool box and a few years ago someone broke in. It was one of the things they took. They left the tools Phil had in an old sewing machine case and in 5 gallon buckets.

    Two more weeks... until Ray's class. I can't wait. AND I have a lot to get ready. Phil just told me I should clean all those machines before I go.
    Last edited by miriam; 04-14-2012 at 01:14 PM.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

  5. #33545
    Senior Member quiltdoctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    485
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
    Very good Jan! That’s a neat machine! It looks like it’s set up to go in a treadle too. (I think that the portable base sets into the top of the treadle top, and the front “notch” in the base is for a treadle belt path. The bobbin winder looks like it is “dual duty”?) Now you just need to find a treadle cabinet to go with it!

    I hauled home an 1889 Singer New Family Model 12 Hand Crank machine this week. I haven’t done anything with it except take photos of it. It’ll replace the 1889 Singer 27-1 treadle that I had but passed on to another collector last year.

    I’m a sucker for hand cranks anyway.

    CD in Oklahoma
    That is a beauty CD!!! You are right, it does have a place for the treadle cord to go through. I'll doubt I ever find one that it will fit, but I'll be looking.

    Texas Jan

  6. #33546
    Super Member ThayerRags's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Frederick, OK
    Posts
    1,617
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
    ...treadle....doubt I ever find one that it will fit, but I'll be looking.
    Texas Jan
    Ahhhhh, but thatís the most fun of all! The HUNT!

    CD in Oklahoma
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

  7. #33547
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    13,132
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
    I was at a sale that a friend was having yesterday. She had lots of antiques and fabric this sewing machine. I knew from the minute I laid eyes on her, she was going home with me. She is a Wheeler Wilson 9 handcrank, 1/2 size. I brought her home and she sews just great but needs a cleaning. Alex of
    www.Sewalot.com calls her the "Half size Half Pint Wheeler & Wilson 9". I have never seen one like her. She is very close in size to a Singer Featherweight, but weighs 20 pounds. The throad width is the same as a FW but the throat height is almost 2" higher. I am fascinated by her. Could this have been the idea that inspired the Featherweight after Singer bought Wheeler Wilson out in 1905? I don't have a firm date on her, but probably 1901 to 1905 is very close.


    Texas Jan
    Before I saw the FW I was thinking it looks like a FW on stilts. VERY cool You've just gotta love the 'Little Old Ladies' (3/4 size or smaller vintage machine) do post a pic with the rest of the old ladies!!!
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

  8. #33548
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern CA near Sacramento
    Posts
    1,105
    Miriam,

    Phil is right. Do clean them cosmetically before you go or do it after you get home. Also don't worry about oiling and greasing them as you can do that at the class. You after all are paying for his time to teach mechanical things not cleaning and dusting techniques.
    I saw one person years ago waste most of the last day of class cleaning decals on a very old German hand crank and it still didn't sew since she ran out of time to work on it. I hope she was paying a lot of attention during the 1 1/2 days of the lecture.
    Don't get me wrong, he is still teaching on the last 1 1/2 days, just not a lot of straight lecturing. The last 1 1/2 days are to practice what you learned on the first day & a half. You also get to see and learn from the problems that the other students are having on their machines and that can be a lot.

    Cathy



    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I knew he was the Elna guy. I have 4 old green ones and 3 gray ones. Ok I guess there are only 7 of them. The 3 green ones need the black rubber wheel in the balance wheel changed out and they all need timing and a good cleaning. The 3 gray ones one is a mess.... I tried to fix it about 25 years ago and had no instructions... It might be good for parts. There is one I recently got - don't even know if it works. The other one for sure needs TLC. I will give Ray a big hug just for you. I've been collecting things around here to take along. I messed around in my shop today. Phil built some shelves for me to put machines on. Then he surprised me again this morning. He had taken old counter tops and put wheels on them and put them on the bottom row so I can just pull them out. Isn't he sweet? And he makes scones too. While I was there I started thinking about tools. What tools should I grab. Then yesterday I bought an old cosmetic case (luggage type mirror and all) I was going to put my screw drivers and tools in there to take to the class. But I changed my mind this morning. I put in Qtips, cosmetic pads, nail polish remover, baby oil, vaseline, tooth brush, manicure scissors, baby wipes, make up brushes, tweezers, flossers, and some paper towel pieces, panty liners... blush... (my sister says I need those...) So when one of my machines gets a make over, I'll just get out the cosmetic case and be ready for it. Now I have to figure out where the screw drivers are going to live. I had a very nice tool box and a few years ago someone broke in. It was one of the things they took. They left the tools Phil had in an old sewing machine case and in 5 gallon buckets.

    Two more weeks... until Ray's class. I can't wait. AND I have a lot to get ready. Phil just told me I should clean all those machines before I go.
    Cathy

    "Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

  9. #33549
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    13,132
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Miriam,

    Phil is right. Do clean them cosmetically before you go or do it after you get home. Also don't worry about oiling and greasing them as you can do that at the class. You after all are paying for his time to teach mechanical things not cleaning and dusting techniques.
    I saw one person years ago waste most of the last day of class cleaning decals on a very old German hand crank and it still didn't sew since she ran out of time to work on it. I hope she was paying a lot of attention during the 1 1/2 days of the lecture.
    Don't get me wrong, he is still teaching on the last 1 1/2 days, just not a lot of straight lecturing. The last 1 1/2 days are to practice what you learned on the first day & a half. You also get to see and learn from the problems that the other students are having on their machines and that can be a lot.

    Cathy
    I'm doing both classes. Do I still have enough machines or do I need to take the old ladies, too?
    Yeah, I was thinking I don't want to do stuff I already know when I'm there. I'm thinking I should take snacks.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

  10. #33550
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northern CA near Sacramento
    Posts
    1,105
    Miriam,

    On the first class that I took I carried in a huge tub with every thing I could imagine that would ever be needed. Boy was that an over kill. But I would do it again as in the second class I took, there was nothing furnished except snacks.

    Each class and each host is different.
    I furnish:
    *drinks and snack for each day
    *a bucket of screw drivers, hemostats and scissors for the students to use
    *rags (cut up flannel sheets as they are the best thing since clean undies VBG)
    *netting strips for things like "flossing" the tension disks
    *put out small containers for trash such as thread and dirty rags
    *put out smaller containers to contain the parts coming off machines
    *have available an air compressor to blow out the dust bunnies (outside usage only)

    Take your usual tools, but don't go out and buy any new ones, yet. Ray has tools to lend and tools for sale. I usually buy something new from him each year. I have a tool addiction.
    It is a good idea to bring a lamp/ light some classrooms are dark. Ray will have extension cords for the machines and lights. ALSO Wear clothes that can get dirty as they will (no fashionistas).

    I think you are set with the machines that you have mentioned.

    Cathy


    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I'm doing both classes. Do I still have enough machines or do I need to take the old ladies, too?
    Yeah, I was thinking I don't want to do stuff I already know when I'm there. I'm thinking I should take snacks.
    Cathy

    "Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.