Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-27-2012, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Wow, wow, wow. Look at this Bad*ss machine. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/fuo/3039950429.html I've never seen anything like it. Makes me think it's Necchi x Steampunk = wild sewing machine!
Wow, Miriam that looks like a Necchi for sure! It might be a 'badged' Necchi!

Nancy
Old 05-27-2012, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
I'm sewing my Kwik Sew 3594 bra today. At first, I was going to go with a Jalie 3131 since there is a youtube tute and it looks easier to sew. The other day, I found the Kwik pattern at Stonemountain and Daughter. The Kwik pattern is more of a challenge. I should have gone with the Jalie for the first attempt at making a bra. All sewing has been done on the Necchi Supernova.

Glenn, between the woodworking you do and making bras for your wife, you have to be a very patient person.
Monica, how is it going with the bra making? I have a quilt project I have been working on for a month that I am loving! This project has been piece-mealed together as I get 'parts,' and it is almost done now. But, I don't have a desire to make a bra, although, I am very interested in how you'll feel about the project once it is completed! I have made lots of clothes and may do them again someday, but now I just make quilts and mend with my machines! I love fabric and with quilts you can always buy more fabric!

Nancy
Old 05-27-2012, 07:27 AM

Nancy, I had thought your friend was going to treadle the 306? You're keeping it?
Old 05-27-2012, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Wow, Miriam that looks like a Necchi for sure! It might be a 'badged' Necchi!

Nancy
I was thinking that it looked like a copied Necchi. Most of the Universals seen on internet look more like a Singer 15.
A punked out Necchi!!
Old 05-27-2012, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Monica, how is it going with the bra making? I have a quilt project I have been working on for a month that I am loving! This project has been piece-mealed together as I get 'parts,' and it is almost done now. But, I don't have a desire to make a bra, although, I am very interested in how you'll feel about the project once it is completed! I have made lots of clothes and may do them again someday, but now I just make quilts and mend with my machines! I love fabric and with quilts you can always buy more fabric!

Nancy
Nancy,

The bra making is coming along; I need to add the elastic, straps, and hooks. If this doesn't fit as well as I wish, I think I have figured out the alterations. The pattern I picked Kwik Sew has more pieces than the Jalie; so, I have more work...auugh. I'm thinking of purchasing the Jalie to see how well that pattern fits versus the Kwik Sew.

If this were the 60s, I would just burn my bra. I read a couple of blogs where some gals in their twenties made their own bras that were not padded. They have only known padded bras (from 90s on), and they were very much surprised at the comfort of the non padded bras that they made.

Well in my opinion, quilts are much easier and more pleasurable to sew than clothes. The quilt conforms or molds to any body, doesn't go out of style, and are always comfy.

You now have 50 machines! Wow! I have stopped collecting for now, and my focus is on sewing projects.

I bet your latest quilt is beautiful!! You do very nice work from what I have seen at the TOGA at Cathy's. I wish we lived closer; it would be fun to see your collection of machines and quilt projects.

Heck, I wish I lived closer to all here since I enjoy seeing other folks projects and finds!

Last edited by vintagemotif; 05-27-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:21 AM

Nancy & Miriam; Thanks for your suggestions. Will call tomorrow to see if bike shop is open for the Triflow.
FYI: I did pull out one thread already - old, linty and completely gross looking but thankfully not a mummified mouse - found one once in a machine one time.
Do I take off the handwheel like on a 99? I have done that but needed to replace it so am just curious. You could be be right about it not being fully seated/engaged b/c it turns like nobody's business with out moving anything except the belt. The shaft definitely doesn't move even by hand.
Also, would the 221 manual have a picture of the gears so I lube them and don't oil them? I've oiled what I see open from the top by the spool pin and under the face place but it hasn't made a lick of difference.
Chris
Old 05-27-2012, 10:30 AM

Kind of looks like my Minerva. wich was badged as a "dressmaker" although you can still see the Minerva decal under the Dressmaker decal. Minerva was made in Czechoslovakia, looks like a cross between a Necchi and a Pfaff and uses an industrial needle, bobbin, and bobbin case ( all of which I know because Mizkaki told me, not because I'm smart)
Old 05-27-2012, 11:57 AM

Nancy,

You could always send it to J Miller's Home for derelicts and functionally challenged machines ..... .

Joe
Old 05-27-2012, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Nancy, I had thought your friend was going to treadle the 306? You're keeping it?
Only if I can't get everything to work! I won't let my friend have a machine that's not 100%. If I can't get the needle position lever to work, I will end up keeping it.

Nancy
Old 05-27-2012, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Nancy,

You could always send it to J Miller's Home for derelicts and functionally challenged machines ..... .

Joe
Joe, if the shipping wasn't so much - and, if I felt like packing it correctly - I'd do that! These machines are very heavy as you know! It will just go into my sewing machine museum until I decide what to do with it!

Thanks Joe!

Nancy