Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3525 of 4419 FirstFirst ... 2525 3025 3425 3475 3515 3524 3525 3526 3535 3575 3625 4025 ... LastLast
Results 35,241 to 35,250 of 44185

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #35241
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    sf bay area, california
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Humm, Interesting. I picked up my Necchi in Alameda from a lady that told me she would get some of her machines from a Singer repair guy in that area. I thought she said his name was Jim. She stated he closed his business.

    Hey, Who is Katrina? Did I meet her the first time I met you and Cathy at Cathy's, that May? Two gals were there that haven't been at the TOGAs since that May meeting when I first met you. Both seemed very knowledgeable on machines with some excellent tips.
    Doesn't surprise me that he went out of business. Definite attitude problem.

    Katrina was at one of the GC TOGAs a couple of years ago; can't remember if you were there then. She's an expert on 19th-century clothing and teaches anthro at one of the community colleges, and is the only one I know who has actually made clothing on a Grover & Baker 2-thread chainstitcher.

    Could the other person have been Donna Kohler? She's been to at least one GC TOGA too. Alyce was there once too, but I don't know what has happened to her. Hope everybody is planning to come to the next one this fall at Cathy's new house!

    pat

  2. #35242
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Illinois...near St. Louis
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Jan, I've not seen them offered in anything but black.

    Along the same lines, I wish the felt, spool protectors came in anything other than red!! I do have an accuquilt die that has circles....hmmmm. I would think brown, tan or even black would look much better than red.
    I make my own...not crazy about the red ones either. Since craft felt is so thin, I make mine 2 layers thick...just glue 2 pieces together with a THIN layer of Elmers glue (you don't want it bleeding thru the felt), let it dry, cut out your circle, & use a hole/leather punch for the spool pin hole.

  3. #35243
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,972
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by pfroggg View Post
    Doesn't surprise me that he went out of business. Definite attitude problem.

    Katrina was at one of the GC TOGAs a couple of years ago; can't remember if you were there then. She's an expert on 19th-century clothing and teaches anthro at one of the community colleges, and is the only one I know who has actually made clothing on a Grover & Baker 2-thread chainstitcher.

    Could the other person have been Donna Kohler? She's been to at least one GC TOGA too. Alyce was there once too, but I don't know what has happened to her. Hope everybody is planning to come to the next one this fall at Cathy's new house!

    pat
    Nope, it wasn't Katrina or Donna. I'm planning on making the next TOGA, hopefully I can make it. I will not be able to take Ray White's classes, between cost and my son's school schedule it just can't be done this year.

  4. #35244
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    13,185
    Blog Entries
    2
    a Pfaff 260 climbed in my car and followed me home... it has a flat bed - awkward bobbin - two belts - cleat type - needs a good clean up but seems like it will be a tank - maybe interesting to see the designs it can make - interesting place to put the motor - it's on the bottom - the machine is very dirty on the outside - inside looks like it was serviced at some point then parked for a while - don't know about the wiring
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

  5. #35245
    Super Member Havplenty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MO (the Show Me state)
    Posts
    2,950
    Blog Entries
    8
    i know there was mention of a pink sewing machine sometime recently. here is a pink vintage kenmore for sale.

    http://stlouis.craigslist.org/atq/3054458368.html
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)



  6. #35246
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    13,185
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
    i know there was mention of a pink sewing machine sometime recently. here is a pink vintage kenmore for sale.

    http://stlouis.craigslist.org/atq/3054458368.html
    for $100 you would think it would be cleaned and ready to sew
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

  7. #35247
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,731
    Quote Originally Posted by path49 View Post
    I make my own...not crazy about the red ones either. Since craft felt is so thin, I make mine 2 layers thick...just glue 2 pieces together with a THIN layer of Elmers glue (you don't want it bleeding thru the felt), let it dry, cut out your circle, & use a hole/leather punch for the spool pin hole.
    Would it be stupid to buy a die for my Studio that cuts out a sheet of 1" circles? All I 'd have to do is hole punch them. Then, they'd be perfect and any color I wanted. Hmmmm.

  8. #35248
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central IL
    Posts
    7,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Would it be stupid to buy a die for my Studio that cuts out a sheet of 1" circles? All I 'd have to do is hole punch them. Then, they'd be perfect and any color I wanted. Hmmmm.
    Stupid, no. You could also sell them. I usually make my own, but compared to the manufactured ones they look terrible.
    I'll take some blue, black, light green, beige, tan, ..........


    Joe

  9. #35249
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Illinois...near St. Louis
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Would it be stupid to buy a die for my Studio that cuts out a sheet of 1" circles? All I 'd have to do is hole punch them. Then, they'd be perfect and any color I wanted. Hmmmm.
    A die would be great! I just use scissors & mine turned out great....but I'm such a perfectionist that I'll piddle around with 1 for an hour till I'm happy with it!!! I've pushed a 1" metal tube into the felt to get an indentation & used that for a guide...or traced around a small thread spool. But stamping them out would be so much easier! And like Joe said, I'll bet you could sell them...I've had several people ask where I got mine!

  10. #35250
    Senior Member melinda1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Jan, I've not seen them offered in anything but black.

    Along the same lines, I wish the felt, spool protectors came in anything other than red!! I do have an accuquilt die that has circles....hmmmm. I would think brown, tan or even black would look much better than red.
    I bought a multicolored pack of craft felt and cut my own to match each machine. However, I think a lot of machines have just a touch of red on the S in singer or in the dial selectors or something. I looked at them at the sewing man's price, and bought the felt. It will make quite a few. It was on clearance at walmart when I found it.
    Melinda

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.