Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-03-2012, 02:48 PM

In reply to the use of tri-flow on machines. Miriam has good luck with it but I prefer not to use anything with silicon on my machines. I very seldom use kerosene I use Blast buster and then once free use sewing machine oil or clock oil which is very nuch the same as fine sperm whale oil. I guess I am from the old school and use what is recomended. Tri-flow is a lubricant and was I don't think intended to unfreeze gummed up parts but hey if it works go for it. Be aware the silicon will build up also and become like glass. We would never use it in the Army on hig tech stuff. This is just my thought on the matter. It is a matter of choice. Miriam and I talk a little about this during her and Phil's visit here and this is the only thing we do different. Boy I wish I had her skill with these old machines she is good.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by path49 View Post
A die would be great! I just use scissors & mine turned out great....but I'm such a perfectionist that I'll piddle around with 1 for an hour till I'm happy with it!!! I've pushed a 1" metal tube into the felt to get an indentation & used that for a guide...or traced around a small thread spool. But stamping them out would be so much easier! And like Joe said, I'll bet you could sell them...I've had several people ask where I got mine!
I'm considering it! I'd have to find some good quality felt locally. I'd love them to actually match the body color of my machines so they blend in. But, yes, Joe has the idea about the colors. If I had a red machine it would be great, but I'd love some that actually didn't stand out so much. I'll have to see what kind of felt product I can find and how much it would cost etc. etc.

I am perfectionist too and would rather pay a little for something than have it be all wonky and take an hour to do!
Old 06-03-2012, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I'm considering it! I'd have to find some good quality felt locally. I'd love them to actually match the body color of my machines so they blend in. But, yes, Joe has the idea about the colors. If I had a red machine it would be great, but I'd love some that actually didn't stand out so much. I'll have to see what kind of felt product I can find and how much it would cost etc. etc.

I am perfectionist too and would rather pay a little for something than have it be all wonky and take an hour to do!
So, why don't you all just crochet some of the little thread spool pin doillies that Glenn posted a pattern for a while back? I know Janis, Kathie, and probably a whole lot of other people make them! That way you can make them to match each machine - besides, they are so much cuter than the red felt thingys!

Nancy
Old 06-03-2012, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
a Pfaff 260 climbed in my car and followed me home... it has a flat bed - awkward bobbin - two belts - cleat type - needs a good clean up but seems like it will be a tank - maybe interesting to see the designs it can make - interesting place to put the motor - it's on the bottom - the machine is very dirty on the outside - inside looks like it was serviced at some point then parked for a while - don't know about the wiring
I will find the link to the manual that someone here sent me. It has the 230/260 in the same one. I have the 230 and it came with the best fmq hopping foot I have. It is about the fastest machine I have, and is probably because it has the embroidery unit built into it. In my mind, it is similar to a singer 319, which seems fast for the same reason.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
So, why don't you all just crochet some of the little thread spool pin doillies that Glenn posted a pattern for a while back? I know Janis, Kathie, and probably a whole lot of other people make them! That way you can make them to match each machine - besides, they are so much cuter than the red felt thingys!

Nancy
Because I don't like the look of crocheted doilies. Not my thing at all.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
I will find the link to the manual that someone here sent me. It has the 230/260 in the same one. I have the 230 and it came with the best fmq hopping foot I have. It is about the fastest machine I have, and is probably because it has the embroidery unit built into it. In my mind, it is similar to a singer 319, which seems fast for the same reason.
Strange, but I've found 319's to be the slowest machines I have.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
for $100 you would think it would be cleaned and ready to sew
I agree with Miriam, for $100 it should be all shined up and ready to sew!

Nancy
Old 06-03-2012, 03:08 PM

Geeze Candace, I have noticed the same thing about my 319w, but I thought that was just because I treadle it? I love that machine, but it is slow.

Nancy
Old 06-03-2012, 03:11 PM

Mine will run like a house afire. I would not let my nieces sew with it because it was so fast and I feared it would run away with them and over their little fingers.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Geeze Candace, I have noticed the same thing about my 319w, but I thought that was just because I treadle it? I love that machine, but it is slow.

Nancy
I even cleaned the motor and brushes on mine because, I thought it was causing or contributing to it being slow, and it didn't do anything for the speed of the machine. It's a great machine, but would certainly lose a race.