Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-26-2012, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post
Yeah, I emailed my kids last night to ask if they would go get it for me. My research showed that the model #2 in this particular cabinet was sold for $75.00 back in the 1870's. What a deal. I told the kids it would go fast - I am surprised the ad is still out there. My son answered early this morning that he won't be able to go get it but I haven't heard from my daughter yet. I can hope!
My son went and purchased this for me yesterday! I spent weeks sending/receiving emails from the seller (she was very nice and helpful). I wanted to be sure I could sew with it so I needed the needle, shuttle, and bobbin to be there. I found the manual online so I had an idea of what the shuttle looked like. IT IS ALL THERE! I can hardly believe it. You can see one bobbin hanging off the machine arm by a string and she sent pictures of the shuttle that was under the slide plate and that has a bobbin in it too. She also sent a close up picture of the needle out of the machine. The needle appears to be a straight needle so I'm hoping I can find other needles that will work in this machine.
Now, when can I get back to MN to pick this up?

After studying all of the pictures closer, I think this might be a #1 rather than the #2 I said above. If so, that model sold for $70 in the 1870's. I'll have to see it in person to make the final decision.

1872 American Sewing Machine Company, Machine & Table. Machine Cover. No. 55602.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:31 AM

Judy,

There are going to be a lot of envious people on this board. Count me as one. Congratulations!

Cathy

My son went and purchased this for me yesterday! I spent weeks sending/receiving emails from the seller (she was very nice and helpful). I wanted to be sure I could sew with it so I needed the needle, shuttle, and bobbin to be there. I found the manual online so I had an idea of what the shuttle looked like. IT IS ALL THERE! I can hardly believe it. You can see one bobbin hanging off the machine arm by a string and she sent pictures of the shuttle that was under the slide plate and that has a bobbin in it too. She also sent a close up picture of the needle out of the machine. The needle appears to be a straight needle so I'm hoping I can find other needles that will work in this machine.

After studying all of the pictures closer, I think this might be a #1 rather than the #2 I said above. If so, that model sold for $70 in the 1870's. I'll have to see it in person to make the final decision.

1872 American Sewing Machine Company, Machine & Table. Machine Cover. No. 55602.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:01 AM

Judy, that's a nice looking machine hope you will be able to get it soon. Have fun sewing on her.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Judy,

There are going to be a lot of envious people on this board. Count me as one. Congratulations!

Cathy
Oh, my, drooool. That is a find! Good for you. I can't wait till you pick it up, so we can see more pictures. laura
Old 11-26-2012, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
Oh, my, drooool. That is a find! Good for you. I can't wait till you pick it up, so we can see more pictures. laura
I can't believe I got it! I thought it would be snatched up in a matter of days. It must be meant to come out west! I just don't know when we will go to pick it up.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:48 PM

Got my new modem today. Hope all had a nice Thanksgiving.
Skip

BTW Judy what a wonderful machine you got there. I now want one if I can convince Pat to let me have another machine in the house.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:02 PM

Glad that you are back with us, Skip. We missed you!
[QUOTE=Glenn;5681825]Got my new modem today. Hope all had a nice Thanksgiving.
Skip
Old 11-26-2012, 07:28 PM

Beautiful machine... And a Great Price. Enjoy. I'd love to see some sewing samples from it.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:40 AM

Judy, it must of been 'meant to be!" I can't believe the machine sat while you emailed back and forth for weeks? For that price, for that machine, what a deal! People were either asleep or just didn't see the advertisement! Great find!

Nancy
Old 11-27-2012, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Nancy,

My wife's 319K is also picky about the position of the needle position lever. If it's not right on it just won't cooperate. I keep thinking it should have more pronounced detentes but it doesn't.
Glad you got it figured out.

Joe
Joe it wasn't the Bight control knob that I messed with - well I do that too -, but the actual position finger that is the clearance for the thread from the bobbin casing. I just messed with everything actually. Anyway, the 319 seems to be a little touchy.

Skip nice to have you back. Now tell me how much you use your 319 in treadle? I use mine almost everyday, if not to piece something, then to mend something. It is so easy to get to all the time. The fact that the 319 has decorative stitches means that no matter what I need to do - that machine can usually handle it. But, I am now getting a little worried because I seem to mess it up a lot! There was a 319 just like mine (with a motor, but I'd just do a motorectomy) on our local Craigslist for $30 - in a cabinet - last week. By the time I saw the ad, it was already sold! I was going to get that one for a backup machine!

Nancy