Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-29-2011, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny View Post
Attempting to upload some photos of my New Home for Texas Jan. The bed decal on this one is actually pretty good, so took a close up. It was actually that bed decal that caused me to go over budget on this one!! (I know, I know; but there's no reasoning with a collector.)
Ohhhhh, Pretty !!! Thanks for sharing. I copied the pictures so I have a better idea of what she should have looked like. I keep hoping to be able to reproduce some decals, but haven't got there yet.
Texas Jan
Old 12-29-2011, 12:34 PM

The cleanup is not progressing. I think Grandma had a oil burning space heater or a wood burning fireplace. My guess is the oil burner. I've cleaned this kind of thing before in my MIL's house fifty+ years ago. Yeesh. I think I'm going to turn the machine around and start on the back in case I get too overzealous. I haven't tried too many products yet so I'm going shopping today. The bobbin winder needs to come off. I got the small screw, but the big one won't budge so far. I'm glad there's no hurry. If it takes all winter, then it just does.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:52 PM

Attempting to upload some photos of my New Home for Texas Jan. The bed decal on this one is actually pretty good, so took a close up. It was actually that bed decal that caused me to go over budget on this one!! (I know, I know; but there's no reasoning with a collector.)
I love that it has a little horse and buggy in the scene.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:41 PM

I do too--now you know why I spent too much money on it!! The parlor cabinet is lovely as well. I have had this for a couple of years, and still haven't cleaned up the machine or repaired the leather strap that lifts it up. Ah well--only 4 1/2 years to retirement!!
Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
I love that it has a little horse and buggy in the scene.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:46 PM

I haven't tried too many products yet so I'm going shopping today. The bobbin winder needs to come off. I got the small screw, but the big one won't budge so far. I'm glad there's no hurry. If it takes all winter, then it just does.[/QUOTE]
Try PB Blaster on the big screw. It stinks, so spray a little in the lid and "paint" it on the stuck screw. Soak it good and let it sit. Good stuff!!!

Texas Jan
Old 12-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Bennett, The very first vintage machine I purchased came in a cabinet like this. The machine that came with the cabinet is a Singer 15-91. My daughter now owns the machine and cabinet.

My guess is a Singer 15-91.
I'm thinking it isn't black but I see a motor so it isn't a 401
Old 12-29-2011, 02:54 PM

I got nothin':

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/atq/2768970593.html
Old 12-29-2011, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

my my my my my good grief I hope they get it and start a trend - those are just ssssssssoooooooo rare hhhmmmm I think I have a couple - nice though
Old 12-29-2011, 03:43 PM

Miz Johnny The bed decal makes it all worth going over budget. Very nice New Home machine.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:02 PM

I don't see the bobbins they mention. Maybe they are platinum. (We need a "shrugging shoulders in disbelief" smiley to post).

------------------
Haven't heard from the seller from my previous post yet, so it's still a mystery machine to me. I am leaning toward a 66 from what I've seen on the Sew Classic blog and on Ismacs about the #72 Singer cabinet. I looked at my 15-91 with the lid open, and it just doesn't look quite like that.