Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-13-2012, 06:29 AM

Well, I have been wanting a Jones for a while now and all of a sudden I have a chance to get two! One is a HC. I go see it today. The guy said it is missing the knob that raises and lowers the foot. The case looks pretty rough too in the photos. The other one is a treadle that has been in this family forever. They are down sizing and someone told them about me so they are holding the treadle for me! WOW! I pretty much quit acquiring machines because I am running out of room, but I just may have to get both of these Jones' machines! Oh my, I keep telling myself to stop! I have all the machines I could ever use and then some! I don't need any more!

Nancy
Old 12-13-2012, 06:48 AM

I'd say that Santa filled your (sewing machine) stocking really well. Congratulations on the wonderful finds. Have fun getting them all in tip top shape. We are waiting for pix when you get them all together.
Donna
Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
I am having a banner week for sewing machines. My husband picked me up, at a random flea market stop, a Singer 500A (cordless, but already ordered cord) for $25 and a badly scuffed up Redeye for $15; both got a shot of oil, and when hand turned, they both make nice stitches. Then on a online ad, I found a $30 201 with accessories, book, and zz attachment, that my daughter picked up for me today. I have not seen it, but she says it is pretty. And on a cold call at a junk store, I got a nearly mint 237, for $10, that was ready to sew after I wiped the little bit of grime off. It will be a good machine to loan to close relatives who get a notion to sew something. I had been on a machine diet, but fell (jumped) off the wagon this week. The 201 has been on my wish list for a long time. Happy dance here today.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:56 AM

Need and WANT are two different things. I bet we all could say that we don't really need any more machines but the fun of the find and refurbishing will end only when we can no longer hold a screw driver or see to squirt oil in the right holes. You have years to go and machines to acquire and fix...congratulations on having friends help you locate what you would like to have. Happy tune up time!
Donna
Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Well, I have been wanting a Jones for a while now and all of a sudden I have a chance to get two! One is a HC. I go see it today. The guy said it is missing the knob that raises and lowers the foot. The case looks pretty rough too in the photos. The other one is a treadle that has been in this family forever. They are down sizing and someone told them about me so they are holding the treadle for me! WOW! I pretty much quit acquiring machines because I am running out of room, but I just may have to get both of these Jones' machines! Oh my, I keep telling myself to stop! I have all the machines I could ever use and then some! I don't need any more!

Nancy
Old 12-13-2012, 07:34 AM

I am having a banner week for sewing machines. My husband picked me up, at a random flea market stop, a Singer 500A (cordless, but already ordered cord) for $25 and a badly scuffed up Redeye for $15; both got a shot of oil, and when hand turned, they both make nice stitches. Then on a online ad, I found a $30 201 with accessories, book, and zz attachment, that my daughter picked up for me today. I have not seen it, but she says it is pretty. And on a cold call at a junk store, I got a nearly mint 237, for $10, that was ready to sew after I wiped the little bit of grime off. It will be a good machine to loan to close relatives who get a notion to sew something. I had been on a machine diet, but fell (jumped) off the wagon this week. The 201 has been on my wish list for a long time. Happy dance here today.
Melinda, Congrats! Sounds like St. Nick filled your shoes nicely the other day. You will enjoy that Singer 201. They are one of the quietest machines with the prettiest stitches.

If you need to clean the race on the Singer 201, here are excellent and easy directions to follow:
http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/07/ho...bbin-case.html

Enjoy!
Old 12-13-2012, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post

Nancy
Nancy, I truly believe that the machines somehow have a way of finding their new steward.
I'm looking forward to seeing your new vintage beauties. Congrats and enjoy!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:39 PM

Nothing came in a cabinet. The 237 is in the carrying case with the date stamped in it, so that solves that mystery. 1975. Smooth little machine. I wanted it because my daughter's MIL has one, and they may tag team some projects, and use mine too. The rest were topless and bottomless, but I have read Skip's box building directions, and am gathering materials for Christmas break. My husband was one of the nationally known Hostess drivers who has already found a new job closer to home, so our prayers on that were answered. A lot of folks thought he just drove for Holsum, and did not realize that they are the same company, so the stress level has been high here to say to least, but all is turning out nicely. The 500A was tight, but with a few drops of oil, is going to be amazing. It was used very little, according to the lack of bed scars. The Redeye from 1911 is a candidate for a repaint and rewire, but it sews a pretty stitch when turned by hand. Can't wait to get started. I will post pics as I can. I will attach pic from the ad for the 201. My daughter will bring it to me this weekend. You all have been bringing in pretties too. I just have been lurking and reading, but had to share such a week.[ATTACH=CONFIG]382014[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 201.jpg  
Old 12-14-2012, 04:02 AM

It looks like you got some goodies as well. Nice!! It's good to hear that your DH found work so quickly....God is good!

Nothing came in a cabinet. The 237 is in the carrying case with the date stamped in it, so that solves that mystery. 1975. Smooth little machine. I wanted it because my daughter's MIL has one, and they may tag team some projects, and use mine too. The rest were topless and bottomless, but I have read Skip's box building directions, and am gathering materials for Christmas break. My husband was one of the nationally known Hostess drivers who has already found a new job closer to home, so our prayers on that were answered. A lot of folks thought he just drove for Holsum, and did not realize that they are the same company, so the stress level has been high here to say to least, but all is turning out nicely. The 500A was tight, but with a few drops of oil, is going to be amazing. It was used very little, according to the lack of bed scars. The Redeye from 1911 is a candidate for a repaint and rewire, but it sews a pretty stitch when turned by hand. Can't wait to get started. I will post pics as I can. I will attach pic from the ad for the 201. My daughter will bring it to me this weekend. You all have been bringing in pretties too. I just have been lurking and reading, but had to share such a week.[ATTACH=CONFIG]382014[/ATTACH]
Old 12-14-2012, 06:00 AM

Checking in! The kids found an apartment, so just need to move the rest of their stuff out and I will get my sewing room back! WOOHOO!!! That'll hopefully happen tonight!

No new machines...have been making myself stay off of Craigs List and out of the second hand stores! LOL!

Did get a new car tho...purdy bright red 2011 Impala...really a nice car, and I do believe the trunk is big enough for a sewing machine!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:01 AM

Wow Thats awesome Melinda, doing a happy dance for ya. Ok curious about your desire for the 201?
Old 12-14-2012, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Checking in! The kids found an apartment, so just need to move the rest of their stuff out and I will get my sewing room back! WOOHOO!!! That'll hopefully happen tonight!

No new machines...have been making myself stay off of Craigs List and out of the second hand stores! LOL!

Did get a new car tho...purdy bright red 2011 Impala...really a nice car, and I do believe the trunk is big enough for a sewing machine!
Wow Charlee, congratulations on the red Impala! It is so much fun to get a new vehicle! Now you need to take a junkin' trip! Just have fun!

Melinda, happy for you - a new job for hubby and all the new toys to play with!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 12-14-2012 at 06:11 AM.