Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-26-2013, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty View Post
Grant, you do awesome work, especially on the Minnesota H. Your work reminds of another gentleman's work.

cherrybsixty
Thank you. I still have to test sew with it, but I know it isn't going to be doing a lot of that. It is more of a decorative piece now.
~G~
Old 07-26-2013, 05:21 AM

Do any of you know why the spring on top of the spool pin on this cute little TSM? A friend picked this machine up the other day. I haven't seen it in person yet[ATTACH=CONFIG]426090[/ATTACH], but I don't remember seeing a TSM with the spring on top?
Attached Thumbnails kathietsm.jpg  
Old 07-26-2013, 07:53 AM
Banned

I believe it is the thread tension. Actually a remarkably simple solution. THIS should have become the standard...
Old 07-26-2013, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Do any of you know why the spring on top of the spool pin on this cute little TSM? A friend picked this machine up the other day. I haven't seen it in person yet[ATTACH=CONFIG]426090[/ATTACH], but I don't remember seeing a TSM with the spring on top?
Nancy, That is the nicest one of them (condition wise) I have seen. AND IT IS BLUE!!! My first guess was that it was a little sloppy and they just picked up a tension spring to put in there. But it looks like it is as it came (everything else is) and it was used as the upper tension on this Blue Beauty. There seems to be a washer or a disk between the spring and the spool. I do not see another way of getting upper tension on it. It would work that way but would need constant adjusting. I think it is as it is supposed to be, original and complete. Compare it to other examples on line to make sure, but I bet it is how it is supposed to be.
Adorable little blue devil. Now I want one just like it!!! THANKS!!!
...And yes, I have an addiction, and my name is Grant.
~G~
Old 07-26-2013, 08:24 AM

Oh, Nancy, that is too cute. I love all those TSMs but it seems they are always $$$ and I really don't have much room to display them. I do have one...... yes, I said one..... sinful when you have an addiction of sewing machines, I know. But I have it in the guest room where I store the sewing stuff at the cabin and even though there are more fishing/hunting/guy stuff everywhere than you can shake a stick at..... this little machine gets its spot, too.
Attached Thumbnails 011.jpg  
Old 07-26-2013, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Oh, Nancy, that is too cute. I love all those TSMs but it seems they are always $$$ and I really don't have much room to display them. I do have one...... yes, I said one..... sinful when you have an addiction of sewing machines, I know. But I have it in the guest room where I store the sewing stuff at the cabin and even though there are more fishing/hunting/guy stuff everywhere than you can shake a stick at..... this little machine gets its spot, too.
HOORAY For equal time! ... Wait. ... Who's side am I on here? I am sicker than I thought...
...Hello, My name is Grant and I have an addiction. ...
Cute machine. The handwheel gear still has the paint on the cog area. WOW! And GREAT "Chrome" too! Stellar little machine!
~G~
Old 07-26-2013, 03:21 PM

Jean, I want one of those! I love the crinkle red on that TSM!

I never thought about having a way to tighten down on the thread to cause enough drag for tension control? That is weird? I would think you'd just break a lot of thread? I'd bet that didn't work well cause I have not seen a tension set up like that on another machine?

Nancy
Old 07-27-2013, 04:46 AM

Grant, I guess I don't think about how good the condition is on my little red TSM. I have the original box, clamp to hold the machine on the table, and instructions. I doubt that anyone has used this machine. It kind of makes me sad to wonder why some little girl didn't ever sew on her little machine.

Nancy, the little blue one looks like it was never used as well..... very cute. I'd love a blue TSM. But, I love the red crinkle finish..... it's cute sitting on the dressing table. I would love to have a few more but like I said, the deer heads and fish on the wall get special spots of honor on the cabin walls..... as it should be. It is a fishing Kamp (everyone up here spells it Kamp and not camp), as they say..... my home but everyone comes here to go fishing. They don't come here to go sewing..... ha ha ha!! But, I get sewing done...... Yeah!!
Old 07-27-2013, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post

Nancy, the little blue one looks like it was never used as well..... very cute. I'd love a blue TSM. But, I love the red crinkle finish..... it's cute sitting on the dressing table. I would love to have a few more but like I said, the deer heads and fish on the wall get special spots of honor on the cabin walls..... as it should be. It is a fishing Kamp (everyone up here spells it Kamp and not camp), as they say..... my home but everyone comes here to go fishing. They don't come here to go sewing..... ha ha ha!! But, I get sewing done...... Yeah!!
Hummmm, everyone else can go fishing! I'd be either hiking or sewing! I think it would be great to have a cabin get away. That would be the perfect place to get all those UFO's done! Besides, it would make it even better if DH was out fishing - I'd get more UFO's done!

Jean, so glad you are finally able to sew again, hopefully your arm continues to improve!

Nancy
Old 07-28-2013, 05:22 AM

Thanks, Nancy. The arm is really good.... so glad I decided against surgery. Anyone I talk to that has had surgery has issues and can't do everything they did before. I'm able to do anything I did before.... it aches a little when I do too much and when a cold front comes thru, but not that bad. It had taught me to slow down a little and watch where I step..... don't want to live that episode again.

Yes, it is a great place to get more UFO's done but we've had a lot of company this summer. ... and more to come. I love it that they want to visit but I really can't do much sewing when they are here..... But once they are gone, it's back to stitching for me.