Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-02-2013, 11:04 PM

Hi all. I'm currently re-modelling a pair of early '70 white denim jeans for my 10 YO (she's a tomboy so what's the point but I'm doing it anyway). The denim was quite thick, and I had to sew on a new waist band. After a struggle with the 66 treadle (it really couldn't handle it, kept changing direction etc), I hauled the 201P (made in Sydney and out of aluminium) onto the bench. The job was really smooth and uninterrupted. It was like it was saying "yeah, this is easy, what else ya got?". The machine had no problem at all with the (up to) six layers of heavy denim.
The 66 treadle was my favourite before this job, but the 201 is my new best friend. It's obvious why people think this is the best sewing machine ever (Alex Askaroff in particular, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-NVWFkm0sA&list=UL).
End of rant, carry on
Old 08-03-2013, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
The 66 treadle was my favourite before this job, but the 201 is my new best friend. It's obvious why people think this is the best sewing machine ever.
Awww crap. Now I really DO have to get "just one more"... :O
Old 08-03-2013, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by frudemoo View Post
Well the good news is that they can be found quite cheaply, even where we live.
I know where you can get quite a nice 201P (no, not mine), or there's one on gumtree for $40, with no power cord (as usual).
Old 08-03-2013, 01:58 AM
Power Poster

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/for/3975985538.html
What is is it - looks like it is on its side or something
Old 08-03-2013, 02:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/for/3975985538.html
What is is it - looks like it is on its side or something
Well. I looked it up. It is to sew full bags shut - it still might be fun to play with.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by frudemoo View Post
Amelia, of course you NEED a 201. They are wonderful machines, I know as I have three, should I say two as my DD claimed one as her go to machine.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:58 AM

I have been lurking, and collecting machines still. Yall are my relaxing reading every day. Been finishing with the clean out of my mama's house readying it for sale. I looked at a row of machines at a yard sale today, with a man expecting me to fall over at his "fair" prices. He had a 99 hand crank, the best of the bunch, from 1950, but started at $130, and fell down to $100 without me even trying to barter. Then a row of 3 in pitiful cabinets, and that is being kind since they had been stored in a shed, with a black Commander clone with no cord or slide plate, a Spartan in the worst cabinet, and a Singer 15-something without reverse or potted motor. He first said I could have all 3 for $75, but one would be $40. I said I would have to think about it. I don't own a real 15, just a few (LOL) clones, so thought about that one, but I am sure I can do better than that.

And every body needs a 201, awesome machine. And a 301, a featherweight, and at least one 66, and.....................dang that addiction/enabling thing is flaring up.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:17 AM

Oh yes, Melinda! I turn on my 201 just to hear her run, so smoothly and quietly! It is good to know we are getting more selective in our purchases. At first, I wanted them so badly I would shell out the $$, but thanks to Charlee and others, am looking for the bargains now. Hey, I don't get pedicures, so a $30 machine a month is justified, right?
Old 08-04-2013, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
Amelia, of course you NEED a 201.
Put a buttonholer on your wish list while you're looking. Used mine for the first time this morning: Best $12.50 I've spent... well, for a while anyway. Worked much better than I expected, and everything is adjustable! Set it, did a test, put the jeans under and 20 seconds of medium pedal action later, I had a perfect double strength (went around twice) buttonhole!
Old 08-04-2013, 02:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Put a buttonholer on your wish list while you're looking. Used mine for the first time this morning: Best $12.50 I've spent... well, for a while anyway. Worked much better than I expected, and everything is adjustable! Set it, did a test, put the jeans under and 20 seconds of medium pedal action later, I had a perfect double strength (went around twice) buttonhole!
Buttonholers are a lot of fun - those old things work better than anything new. Did you clean it and oil it - works even better.