Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-11-2014, 02:59 PM

Both of my machines arrived via UPS in good shape. The Singer 35-1 that I discussed on another thread was packed really well in an oversized box (to get the length) and the box looked like new when it got here from Tennessee.

The second one was a Janome Coverpro 1000 in its original box and original Styrofoam packing that came from Wyoming. There’s one golfball-sized gouge in the bottom of the box that didn’t get deep enough to hurt anything, and could have been done during a previous shipment of the machine for all I know.

Oh no! I’m starting to have my faith in shippers (sellers and shipping companies both) restored just a little. I guess you know what that means.....

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-11-2014, 09:55 PM

I packed up my Mom's fabric stash after she passed away. The only box that didn't do so well, was the one I didn't insure. Since it was being shipped out of LAX, I'm sure they dropped the box off at the LA Zoo before they shipped it to me; it was bleeding fabric when it arrived.
Sharon in Texas
Old 12-12-2014, 04:29 AM

I have always had great luck with UPS and FedEx. They are at my house so often we are on first name basis. For about a year I would get monthly wine shipments and never a broken bottle. I got one really cool Neumann hand crank delivered in horrible condition but that was the fault of the guy I bought it from. He had packed the machine in a box with phone books note books old sheets and one sheet of bubble wrap. The base was slivers and the had crank was busted. eBay gave me my money back no problem.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:53 AM

Tuesday morning I see an am-fm radio is 30 miles from me UPS. No problem. It will go on the truck and get it a day early. Mid-day I get a text thinking it would say delivered... No, handing package off to USPS. Wed. came home and didn't see the box near the door.
Went to the mailbox and he had managed to get it jammed into the mailbox. It took a couple of minutes to get it pulled out with the cardboard catching and tearing while I tried to pull it out.
No problem... Payback.. Today he has to deliver 40 feet of log chains. Let's see him get all that in my mailbox..
Roger
Old 12-12-2014, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by yroger54 View Post
Tuesday morning I see an am-fm radio is 30 miles from me UPS. No problem. It will go on the truck and get it a day early. Mid-day I get a text thinking it would say delivered... No, handing package off to USPS. Wed. came home and didn't see the box near the door.
Went to the mailbox and he had managed to get it jammed into the mailbox. It took a couple of minutes to get it pulled out with the cardboard catching and tearing while I tried to pull it out.
No problem... Payback.. Today he has to deliver 40 feet of log chains. Let's see him get all that in my mailbox..
Roger
Roger, that is just too funny.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:43 AM

Funny story Roger!

I hope the mailman doesn’t get your chain stuffed into your mailbox like our toddler son did in his pint-sized front pocket of his Wrangler jeans one time. He’d found a short length of 3/8” chain and got it all stuffed into his pocket. His Mom was collecting the laundry and pitched his jeans into the collection basket. It when ker-klunk and knocked the basket over. She had to fiddle with it for a long time to figure out which link had to come out first to release the rest of the chain.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-12-2014, 11:45 AM
Power Poster

I put a huge pocket on the front of a sweat shirt for Wilbur - He loved it - DD found all kinds of goodies in there on laundry day.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:57 AM

Another time, the same toddler son filled his front jeans pocket up with Dandy Lion stems. No flowers, just the stems. On laundry day, a few days later, Mom reached into his pocket to get out whatever was in there, and was not pleased!

I guess I should mention that his Mom DOES NOT like worms....of any kind, so you can guess what she thought she had hold of.....

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-12-2014, 02:07 PM

Well good news about the chain, he didn't put it in the mailbox. He didn't deliver them. Good old USPS priority 2 day left Atlanta, GA on the 9th to be delivered today and it just got to Des Moines, Iowa this morning. Sure glad they sent it priority.
I don't think anything should surprise a mom who has a boy with pockets in his clothes.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Banned

ok yroger54...... Why the butchers glove? just curious....