Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-22-2015, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Thanks for that CD. I was thinking it a different brand than Revco. I'm used to seeing the #303. I didn't know they made both styles. There's also one like the 303 but with a sort of football shaped plate.
Rodney
Thank you CD. I didn't know what it was, just that it wasn't original.
Sharon in Texas
Old 08-29-2015, 12:46 PM

I just bought this Singer 500 & cabinet that I found on craigslist, it had been stored in a garage for who knows how long. Anyways the paint is peeling off it in a few places on the edges (sort of like if you paint something without using a primer). I'm wondering if there's someway I can touch up the paint to prevent it from peeling any more.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]529187[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails singer-500-cabinet-craigslist-pic-2.jpg  
Old 08-30-2015, 11:50 PM

I was given a black "Domestic Imperial ZZ" machine. An old magazine ad with picture found in "Google Images" says it is from 1954. It looks like a Pfaff, but it has an extra lever on the post to lower feed dogs. When I search this forum, nothing pops up. I need to get a new belt for this machine. Any suggestions where to fine information on the machine?
Old 08-31-2015, 12:36 AM

Here's the print ad for the "Domestic Imperial ZZ." I love this black machine from 1954. I found it on the curb during clean-up day in our small town, free for the taking. I need to replace the power cord and the belt, which are cracking with age. Otherwise, this is an overbuilt powerhouse of a machine, and in excellent shape. I'd appreciate it if anyone could lead me to more information on this machine. THX.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:00 AM

Thank goodness you found the ad or I would have had no idea!

The White company had bought Domestic by then so that is the clue. In the same few years around 1955 White started to import a GERMAN zig zag machine and put their badge on it. (And also sold the same machine to Sears who put a Kenmore badge on it.) I did not know they had done the same for Domestic their 'budget' badge! I am no expert in the European made zig zag machines but you will need to look for that kind of information for tips.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:03 AM

Mystery solved. In better light with a bit of cleaning, found the gold imprint on side of the pillar facing the needlebar: MADE IN GERMANY. Manual says, Domestic Sewing Machine Company, Inc., Cleveland 1, Ohio, U.S.A. So this badged machine must have been made by Gritzner in 1954 before the company was sold to Pfaff in 1956.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:37 PM

I am cleaning out a Kenmore 1701. Lots of lint, some of it oily and carbon black. Also the three flat prong plug was a little bit out of place. I think there may have been a tiny lint fire. At least the wires all look OK but I am going over everything that should not have oil on it with rubbing alcohol. And I am vacuuming out ALL my machines next cleaning day.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:10 AM

Hello for my 4th VSM I just received a Minnesota treadle machine. I am unable to determine the model number. It does not have the typical marking C,A,or K. The serial number is D1101513. I need parts since it is pretty beat up. Anyone know if the Minnesota parts (bobbin,bobbin winder) are interchangeable?
Old 09-17-2015, 05:48 AM

I thought I would share this mystery of mine this week. I was working on a Singer 29-4 that had some tension issues and was skipping stitches. I was able to fix the tension but it was still skipping stitches. It took a while but I finally figured out why. Part of a needle was broken off inside of the needleclamp. I was lucky in one respect, I could see part of it in there otherwise I doubt that I would have figured it out. I got a new one and everything is working fine now.
~G~
[ATTACH=CONFIG]530952[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2015-09-04-12.16.20.jpg  
Old 09-17-2015, 06:37 AM

What are the chances that someone intentionally added a “spacer” in the needle clamp to use a different needle? A dab of grease on that piece would probably hold it up in the needle clamp to change needles....

CD in Oklahoma