Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-08-2015, 02:47 AM

Hello everyone my name is Nancy and I have caught the VSM bug. I have recently purchased a beautiful 301A long bed that I will be using for quilting. My question is when you are sewing most days on this machine how often should you oil it? I have read that the VSM needs regular oiling and to keep it in tip top shape. I will soon be replacing the bobbin tire and light bulb. Anything other than oiling and needle that need regular maintenance?
Old 07-08-2015, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Dianne - My pleasure. I give those speeches a lot...

I agree, most folks do not realize how may different methods were used before they came up with the "obvious" solution of the needle at the tip. The first attempts were actually like crochet hooks with a barb instead of a hole. The system with the needle in the middle actually tried to use two sets of arms to pass the needle back and forth through the fabric.... Talk about timing issues!!!!
To me this is one of the most interesting things about truly old machines - all of the engineering dead-ends. All of the ideas that seemed so cool but didn't pan out in the real world. All of the clumsy first/early attempts at things that have become refined and common now. I think it's all really fascinating and I'm grateful for people like you who do all the hard work and lay it all out so clearly!
Old 07-09-2015, 07:08 PM

oh my, I made mistake on the number of the treadle sewing machine, it is G-9054757 and has gold letters and a picture of a sphinx ( or what is left of it) looking at the singer chart a 1921. I read were Glenn said only a 66 uses 66 parts. I think it is a 66 not sure on that. The big wheel moves ok, and the bobbin (bullet or long shuttle)moves. Really thinking on this so much reading this blog very helpful. Thanks! So many beautiful sewing machines here. Talked to the sewing machine repair and cleans sewing machines, he said he could order the slide plate for the machine still and if I got it ready to be able working he cleans them and puts a leather belts on them.
I understand the cleaning and belt, but I have a long way to go maybe. he also said maybe I should think about a sewing machine with a metal bobbin. The shuttle and parts are hard to come by on the machine I have. Two steps forward 3 back.

Last edited by sherian; 07-09-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:04 PM

Ok Another mistake, thanks to manicmike & cari-in oly. I see another chart which much better and looked toward the bottom to see Oct. 1921 and model 96. I make more mistakes than anything so far. thanks for the blog again.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by sherian View Post
I think it is a 66 not sure on that. The big wheel moves ok, and the bobbin (bullet or long shuttle)moves.
Sorry to confuse you further but model 66 uses a round shuttle and bobbin, not a bullet shuttle and long bobbin. Only vibrating shuttle machines (VS2/27/127 and 28/128) have bullet shuttles.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by girlygirlforme View Post
Hello everyone my name is Nancy and I have caught the VSM bug. I have recently purchased a beautiful 301A long bed that I will be using for quilting. My question is when you are sewing most days on this machine how often should you oil it? I have read that the VSM needs regular oiling and to keep it in tip top shape. I will soon be replacing the bobbin tire and light bulb. Anything other than oiling and needle that need regular maintenance?
Cleaning out of the lint is very important if you will be doing lots of sewing. It collects and begins to build up underneath the needle plate and in the feed dogs themselves. There is more than that but other people will hopefully chime in here.

Nancy, Welcome to board and be aware that we are all enablers here.

Chris

Last edited by chris_quilts; 07-10-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:32 AM

oh my, I made mistake on the number of the treadle sewing machine, it is G-9054757 and has gold letters and a picture of a sphinx ( or what is left of it) looking at the singer chart a 1921. Quoted from Sheriann

Sorry to confuse you further but model 66 uses a round shuttle and bobbin, not a bullet shuttle and long bobbin. Only vibrating shuttle machines (VS2/27/127 and 28/128) have bullet shuttles. Quoted from ManicMike

Looking at my copy of the Singer charts, the serial number corresponds to a 127 allotted on Oct 11, 1921. 14,950 were allotted that day. I do not know if this clears up the confusion or muddies the waters even more.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:47 PM

Thank you so much, I looked at the chart as my husband did. I am glad you helped me out. I am looking and going slow there is so much to think about, and learn. I plan on getting a missing part front slide board ( long bullet is under it) I need to study the parts and clean the sewing machine. It is not in good shape. Like your verse below your blog. I have read everything one or twice on blog pages. Still trying to sort it out. Now I at least know what model to look for parts. Have a wonderful day!
Old 07-11-2015, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gray fox View Post
Possibly this is not definitive, but it clarifies things for me. A bullet shuttle on an arcing path is vibrating; a boat shuttle on a straight path is transverse. But that makes the 1890s Hengstenberg-Anker a hybrid, as well as the Singer 48K. It has a straight path, but a bullet shuttle.
Hi Dianne,

I think this is a bit oversimplified. There are transverse shuttle machines with 'bullet' shuttles (e.g., some Vesta Saxonias, made as late as 1920-1930), and the Singer 48k is a TS. Re your Japanese Wittler, there's some confusion about this; I've seen this machine (I've got two) called a TS too, but I would call it a VS (vibrating shuttle), since the shuttle swings in an arc. Here's another example of one on Needlebar, where it's referred to as a "vibrating shuttle on a transverse line".

http://needlebar.org/cm/displayimage.php?pid=6030

It does seem curious that these postwar Japanese machines use this somewhat obscure mechanism, when almost all the other 'clones' seem to be copies of Singer machines.

pat (who just rejoined after forgetting not only password but also earlier user id)
Old 07-12-2015, 05:03 PM

I was looking: Found a easy site to help identify your sewing machine - How to identify your Old Singer Sewing Machine- sandman-collectables website.
simple look at picture to identify your sewing machine. Tells you the type of machine you have. I had the year down but it could have been two models. With the pictures I could see, my sewing machine with top near wheel from bottom od machine. It is not a lot to it but I liked it and pictures, where I can see. I am sure people have already seen this. I need every bit of information to think this thing though. Plan a clean machine, look for front slide plate.
Just as soon as I find time and the heat not so bad outside.
I have a singer sphinx 1921, bullet - long shuttle arc movement G9054757 Model 127.
Photo were on #44534 & 44535. Thanks for getting me going

Last edited by sherian; 07-12-2015 at 05:14 PM.