Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-21-2015, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Grant, what do you mean? Nobody ever gets abused on this forum and it's only abuse or advertising that will get you banned. Are you saying you've been the perpetrator of abuse or the victim? I read both in your post.

If you're proven to be a reasonable person you won't be banned (although tell SteveH this ;-) ), or not for long. I was given a slap last year for trying to get someone to own up to something. Both he and I got the same warning.
I didn't mean to say that anyone was being abused. Perhaps Miriam said it better. I got my hand slapped about the same time SteveH and Miriam got their hands slapped. Someone was needing a part that I had. I offered it to them and was put on double secret probation. I thought that I was helping them. To be honest, I was a little put off by it and didn't post for a while but kept up on the 3 or 4 pages I subscribed to. I have always tried to help people here when I could trying to pay back the kindness and help I got when I needed it. I was disappointed to find out that some help was frowned upon.
~G~
Old 05-21-2015, 11:08 AM

They don't frown on help, you simply can not offer something you want money for on the open forum. You can do it via PM though. I've been warned, I offer stuff all the time, and have to make sure I note that I've giving stuff away, not selling. I don't understand why it's so wrong for others to know a person may have vintage parts available to sell - but even hinting you may have stuff to sell gets you in trouble.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:39 PM

It's probably a matter of having to enforce that rule, or else you would open the floodgate on all types of pitches. I have seen this happen on other sites. On one forum I belong to, they have a turnabout Friday policy when sales pitches are allowed, and that works okay because generally, if I'm not looking for something, I know to just delete the Friday email.

That forum (which is not related to quilting, fyi) got very hard nosed about all sorts of policies and the result has been that it has shrunk in membership drastically since I first joined it about 12 years ago. I think that QB is by far the best run website of its type that I've ever seen, and the moderators deserve a whole lot of credit for their sensible policies and close supervision. A ton of work goes into it every day!
Old 05-22-2015, 11:18 AM

I must chime in here just because this board is a shadow of its former self. "Come in and sit a spell," now has caveats that sometimes appear arbitrary. Of course, limits exist for reasons! I'm a public school teacher; I get it.

I can only speak for myself. When I post anything here, my professional filter has to be in place. Even as I write this short response, I delete 80% of what is typed for fear someone will call it venting, preaching, or some other rule that I didn't realize I was breaking. My posts are in formal language, now. The moderators have the right to create and enforce rules.

What is the point of my post today? Cultural differences come out in writing. The QB has a more formal culture than it used to. If I choose to contribute I must accept those rules. I just wish I didn't have to find out the hard way (through my own experiences and those shared by others, off board) what is the moderator's definition of venting, preaching or offering. In MHO, the BEST rules are simple ones. Then energy is spent learning, sharing and growing.

My herd of sewing machines has quadrupled in size over the past year. British Sewing Machine Co, Frister & Rossmann, Jones, Serata, and many more European machines have become mine. Maybe later, when I have more energy, I can post about them and teach, learn, grow... But for now, I miss using my informal language to respond. So I remind myself that life is change. This board has changed. And life goes on!

Memorial Day has a way of putting life-events into perspective. For those who have sacrificed to keep our country free enough to have a board like this one, thank you.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:13 PM

Items can be sold through PM? I thought this was a No-No except for freebies or just collecting freight. I recall one feller selling stuff and never delivering a few years back.

Jon

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
They don't frown on help, you simply can not offer something you want money for on the open forum. You can do it via PM though. I've been warned, I offer stuff all the time, and have to make sure I note that I've giving stuff away, not selling. I don't understand why it's so wrong for others to know a person may have vintage parts available to sell - but even hinting you may have stuff to sell gets you in trouble.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Items can be sold through PM? I thought this was a No-No except for freebies or just collecting freight. I recall one feller selling stuff and never delivering a few years back.

Jon
it happens here - I don't chase anybody down though
Old 05-22-2015, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I've bought things through PM. If people aren't advertising it, why hassle them?
Old 05-25-2015, 11:29 AM

I have Sew-Rite 100 with a red case (no foot pedal)....do you know how much this machine is worth? It runs (just tried it at a shop).
Old 05-25-2015, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by lucyshelly View Post
I have Sew-Rite 100 with a red case (no foot pedal)....do you know how much this machine is worth? It runs (just tried it at a shop).
It is worth, to you, whatever you paid for it. It is also worth, to someone else, however much they are willing to pay for it, how badly they want the machine & how rare or common that machine might be in your neck of the woods. So, in other words, there's no telling how much it's worth but I can say probably not a million bucks.

Just my two cents and worth every penny, Chris
Old 05-25-2015, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Sort of sounds like as long as you don't get caught it's OK.

Jon