Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-22-2015, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
LOL - it won't be inexpensive if you get the SMAD bug.
Lol. I've learnt to never subscribe to forums! Saves me from reveals, deals, and steals and everything else!
Old 03-22-2015, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

Link for the mysteriously lost thread - re-take...
http://www.quiltingboard.com/request...y-t262963.html

Last edited by miriam; 03-22-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:35 PM

Welcome Melbo! I"m mostly with Miriam on her selections. Picture 41/78 is the Singer 15 or 115. It looks like it needs some help but it's a more capable machine IMO that the others. They're great machines for free motion work as well as regular sewing. The 66 and 99 are good machines too but probably not as good a choice for free motion quilting. The Singer 128s use a long bobbin and while they're still good machines, they do have a steeper learning curve than the others. I haven't tried free motion work on a long bobbin machine so can't say how they are for that.
Rodney
Old 03-23-2015, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by melbo View Post
Lol. I've learnt to never subscribe to forums! Saves me from reveals, deals, and steals and everything else!
Well something not to ask is "do you think I should buy this (old) machine?"
Responses are 100% predictable, and you'll never get a negative from any of us. Someone else here amusingly said it's like asking a bar full of alcoholics if you should have another drink
Old 03-23-2015, 02:58 AM
Power Poster

The long bobbin machines are a lot of fun too. The learning curve isn't so much a problem. I was thinking about the availabity of bobbins I guess. Muv has so much info in the sticky about cleaning the machines... just keep reading and looking at her videos. She has plenty of info on the long bobbin.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:29 AM

Thank you all! If I have any trouble I'll be back for some troubleshooting!
Old 03-23-2015, 08:36 PM

Hi there, I just got a filthy White Rotary in a Martha Washington style cabinet (manual/warranty is dated 1926, I'm guessing it is about that old) from the thrift store for $5 and was hoping for some help finding parts/resources. The bolt/screw that keeps the machine from rotating up is missing- it makes it difficult to lift the machine out of the cabinet. If someone knows where to find such a part that would be great. If someone has a similar machine and could tell me what size their's is I could probably find something to keep it together.
I have the original manual, but I would love to have some clear pictures of the motor area and where the wiring is- mine needs work and I have an electrical engineer dad who is willing to help me out (he taught me to sew on an old treadle Franklin).
Any help is much appreciated, Maggie
Full album
http://imgur.com/a/frbpU#XxGSCeU
Old 03-24-2015, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
Steve, thanks for the info and the picture. It reminds me a bit of the Monopoly iron. I doubt it would get by the TSA. Or sadly, maybe it would.

Yeah, I'll not buy another Rowenta product. This is my second bad experience with them.

Here are the presses I mentioned above:

Singer Magic Press 4:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]482329[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]482330[/ATTACH]

(The cloth board cover was in the laundry when I took the photo.)

Elna Elnapress 'Pinkstar':

[ATTACH=CONFIG]482331[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]482332[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]482333[/ATTACH]

The Singer appears to be heavier duty (heavier, clunkier, sole plate is firmer on the board, sole plate rocks back and forth to allow for ironing uneven items). Has a few dings but it's in good shape. Gets blisteringly hot and could do serious damage to an errant hand. Watch out! $21 + $10 shipping.

The Elna appears to be BNOS. I don't think it's ever been used and it was still in its original packaging. $30.

I've only tried the Singer so far. It's very fast. I took it over to mom's house and she did some linen napkins and a tablecloth in record time. She did linen on the cotton setting because it's so hot. I got it for pre-pressing because I don't want to sew wrinkled stuff.

Do folks not like these machines? I had to do some digging and there are some on eBay but I don't know anyone else who has one. Maybe these were a fad. It's probably just easier to fire up a hand iron because taking this thing out of a closet and setting it up every time would be a pain. You almost have to have a dedicated space for it. It does a great job, though. If you do a lot of ironing you might want to check it out!
Is this what you paid for them? I'm looking for one and every time I find one for sale, the people are trying to get back almost everything they paid for them
Old 03-24-2015, 10:27 AM

I have one that does not have a home sewing brand printed on it and yes I paid $20 for it. I bought that from a husband though, who bought it for his wife for clothing and found out she was not using it anyway. Not someone who sews.

And I have to agree with her. For clothing using a whole large ironing board is just as fast because of more room to work before having to move the clothes. But for steam the mini press is much better. It holds more water and has more channels to keep that water hotter. How much steam do quilters use? I am steaming and fusing interfacing.

To go back to topic, I am cleaning the Singer 66 a little more every day. And I got off the track playing with the Kenmore 1217. And I saw buttonhole scissors on a very local sale and bought those. They are plenty sharp on the blades but have a strange perpendicular knob locking system which is stuck. Which I keep forgetting to take a picture of.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
...They are plenty sharp on the blades but have a strange perpendicular knob locking system which is stuck. Which I keep forgetting to take a picture of.

That adjustment screw will limit how much the scissors can close, which determines how long the slit that it cuts in the fabric is.