Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-24-2015, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
That adjustment screw will limit how much the scissors can close, which determines how long the slit that it cuts in the fabric is.
That is how normal sensible parallel knob ones work. This one has a sort of toothy. . .pawl folded back in the handle and a teeny bump on the other handle. And that pawl and its spring are good and stuck.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:39 PM
Banned

picture perhaps?
Old 03-24-2015, 02:17 PM

These are stamped "Perfection Shear Co." and "J?n 1910" but neither of those gets good search results. The scissors seem to be a copy of Keen Kutter style buttonhole scissors. The knob is free and comes off the screw post completely and does not affect anything right now.

A flat spring holds the pawl in place. I have got some of the dirt out with a toothpick and I can get a thin screwdriver between the spring and the pawl. It is the side where the pawl is against the scissor handle that is stuck. I cannot get paper or a fingernail or a straight pin or the thinnest screwdriver in there. There is space behind the hinged end and the 'backside' of the handle, but no space between the free moving end and the 'backside'.

This is what the pawl is supposed to look like when it is free to move.
The same picture as the link above but you can zoom in on it here.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:30 PM
Banned

interesting. very cool. I have not seen those before.

can the knob lift or press (without turning)?

Could a small nail be used as a pry bar?
Old 03-26-2015, 06:22 AM

I have a question....not sure where to post. Someone has asked if I would like a Singer Featherweight in good condition for $250. Is this a good price?
Old 03-26-2015, 07:34 AM

Excellent price. I have seen them going up in my area. I purchased mine 4 years ago for $250. It had everything including the case and was in great condition. Hopefully the one you are considering is also.

I have gotten hours and hours of sewing with it and so have my grandchildren. They love it.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:42 AM

I have one that my daughter gave me and it cost twice that amount. I'd buy one for $250 in a New York minute!
Old 03-27-2015, 05:52 AM

I've been watching FW's on eBay and they seem to be selling for around that amount (for nice looking machines with cases and some accessories). Plus shipping on top of that. If it's a machine you can check out in person that's worth extra to me. If it's in good shape and has a case I'd definitely buy it for that price, especially if I didn't have to worry about it getting destroyed in transit.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
interesting. very cool. I have not seen those before.

can the knob lift or press (without turning)?

Could a small nail be used as a pry bar?
The nail is a better cleaning out tool than the toothpick was but it was not thin enough to get into the stuck side. Sunshine and oil are working on it again today.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
The nail is a better cleaning out tool than the toothpick was but it was not thin enough to get into the stuck side. Sunshine and oil are working on it again today.
Can you get dental floss threaded through the wider area, then maybe you could work it over to the tighter side. Just to get rid of any gunky stuff, not to pry with