Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-13-2010, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by patdesign
Love the site, just don't have the time to read almost 400 pgs at first swipe, so guess it will have to be a few at a time. I collect old machines, primarily the black Singers, but do have a few others which I call clones. I love to rescue and rehab them. I currently have about 40 in my collection, but at times past have had more. I now sell a few so that I can rescue more. You just cant bet the oldies but goodies!
Love the Pug on the Featherweight! Well, I feel better about my addiction! I have a long way to go before I get that many machines . . . although, I am on my way!

Nancy
When I see a vintage machine languishing for lack of care at a tiny price I will usually go for it with the intention of rescue and rehab, about half of my collection is in various states of rescue and loving care. I figure sooner or later it will find a new home where it is loved, in the meantime I enjoy giving tlc. Sometimes it is hard to let go though.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by cherryberry
Enjoy seeing pics of everyones old "tyme machines" Here's mine that was stored in the top of a barn for years and I believe belonged to my great grandmother. It's in pretty bad shape but I'm so glad I found it. It had mysterious parts in the drawers and even had tinymetal spools with thread on it. I haven't had time to try to discover how old machine is or to discover purpose of each of the accesseries that were in the drawers. I hope to get it in as good repair as I can. oh the stories these old machines could tell!
This looks like a 127 0r 128 judging by the .throat plates. I absolutely adore the sphinx decals. The tiny spools are of course the bobbins, I found the shuttle a little difficult to thread, but I did find some helpful instructions on the net with pix, and there are bobbins and parts out there on ebay.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by cherryberry
Enjoy seeing pics of everyones old "tyme machines" Here's mine that was stored in the top of a barn for years and I believe belonged to my great grandmother. oh the stories these old machines could tell!
That is the Sphinx 127. I have one just like it from 1913. The serial number will tell you the age of the machine. It is actually in good shape from the pictures. Most of the decals are intack, that machine will look great once you get it cleaned up!

Nancy
Old 10-13-2010, 09:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pennijanine
My brother brought me a good surprise the other night. It is a black singer 301A. I had to take a plate off the bottom to find the serial number. NA256389. I would appreciate any information. It is very dirty, not much rust, and I am thinking that I will ship it to Billy so he can do some magic. The original footpedal is the only thing it came with. Thanks... Penni
Send it on Penni!! I can take care of it for you and I might have some accessories for the machine also!

Billy
Old 10-13-2010, 12:24 PM

All of you that want to try FMQ on your treadle have to see this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tcy2dse68M
Old 10-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

Good for her. I worried a bit about her back - no support for it with that chair she was using.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
My brother brought me a good surprise the other night. It is a black singer 301A. I had to take a plate off the bottom to find the serial number. NA256389. I would appreciate any information. It is very dirty, not much rust, and I am thinking that I will ship it to Billy so he can do some magic. The original footpedal is the only thing it came with. Thanks... Penni
Send it on Penni!! I can take care of it for you and I might have some accessories for the machine also!

Billy, can you give me some info on her? Thanks, Penni
Billy
Old 10-13-2010, 05:50 PM

I bought a Singer coffin top treadle cabinet today, no machine. It was on Craig's list. Here it is if its still there.

http://austin.craigslist.org/atq/1996940603.html

I thought a Featherweight came with it, that's the picture she emailed me. :x
When I got to her house, she brings out a 99k. :shock:
I said to her, "That's NOT the machine you showed me in the picture!"
The cabinet is in very good condition. She wanted $100 for it....I wanted it bad.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Billy, can you give me some info on her? Thanks, Penni
Billy
I dont really know a lot about the 301's other than they are the full sized version of the Featherweight and they are an alloy machine. The black ones are not that easily found and they tend to fetch more money.

Singer has none of the records for the series that you have but I know who does and I will email her about the month and year it was made along with mine.

Billy
Old 10-13-2010, 07:43 PM
EC

Wow!!!!! 400 pages in this section already, what a wealth of information....thanks everyone, especially you Billy, for setting up shop!

There's cookies on the counter!