Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Went to a LSWS and learned something...... >

Went to a LSWS and learned something......

Went to a LSWS and learned something......

Old 01-16-2014, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post

“Local Sewing Wash-ing Shop”?

CD in Oklahoma
darn, what's wrong with me. can't even get the right spelling. then i guess i got it all wrong - it should be LSMS. thanks CD for your eagle eyes.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
We have a Singer Troll in our area too - he's been selling for 50-60 years, and he's more of a hoarder than anything. Shop is full of really neat old Singers and attachments and NOTHING has a price on it. He won't even quote a price, and if you offer something, he smirks and says it's worth way more than that. He's past retirement age, so I guess he plans on having things until he's dead, and then they can sell for cheap, or more lkely end up in the dump since there is little market for them locally.

My husband hates going in there now, because they guy wants DH to buy his business. Not like we'd ever do that - and of course, he wants it for a price that would take all the profit out of it for the next 20 years.

He also tried to talk my husband into buying a Pfaff with a broken part -saying that since DH fixes them, he could find the part and replace it cheap. At least DH knew about that machine, and that the part is unavailable and is broke in almost all of that style machine - so it's not really worth anything - and no where near what the guy was asking.

But we also know if he could have fixed it affordably, he would have. I don't think they guy is really making any money at the shop now days, but don't think he needs to either, it's just a place he can spend his days surrounded by things he loves, and occasionally talk to a customer who walks in the door.

Every time we drive by, I look to see if there is a "going out of business" sign on the door. If he actually does start to want to sell things, I want to be at the front of the line!
i know. maybe this guy is like your guy too. wanted to buy something but would't let me. but i might swing by once in a while and befriend him and see how it goes. as i am thinking that i could gain more if ever. he got so many vintage sewing machines that i am eyeing. and maybe he will sell me the FW body that he has for donor parts. that FW body is is so clean. BTW, he got some Tri-flow also and he got the cheapest price on parts than any stores i've been too (like belts, lubricants, oil) even at eBay.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Amortize all the time you'll spend on rebuilding this motor over the next 60 years that it will work with no issues.

I read a really good quote the other day: "If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have the time to redo it?"

The flip side of how to look at this is: What's your time worth? I like to think my time is worth enough that I'd like to do it once and be done with it, rather than revisit it again down the road because the first "fix" was inadequate. You have the information at your fingertips to do it the best way... I would say just do it.

Yes, it's time consuming the first couple of times, but it IS worth it. And once you have the experience, you won't hesitate to do another one. Thanks to Rain's tutorial, I've not balked at motor work and managed a few really good deals on machines as a result. I've probably rebuilt more than a half dozen and they take me less and less time each time.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I wonder if he was mistaking Tri-Flow for 3in1 which will do the things you mentioned here.

Not giving him the benefit of the doubt: He doesn't sell Tri-Flow, but he does sell the SM oil and Singer Lube....

That said, the Singer Lube is necessary for the motors, so it won't go to waste.

This is playing with fire. Yes, denatured alcohol can be very good for cleaning. It's also very useful for removing shellac (and is what Skip uses mixed with shellac to thin it for application when redoing a finish on a machine). If you have a single oops with the stuff, you'll be doing more than cleaning a machine. I've spilled almost every cleaner / polish I've ever used near a machine. Be very careful if you do this! We used a bottle of isopropyl alcohol to remove the finish on a featherweight we're preparing for paint. It was incredibly effective and way easier on the water bill than Dave McCallum's method.

WD-40 has been rumored to silver decals. This is usually, as far as I understand it, when the shellac is already failed, but sometimes that's not obvious. Again, proceed with a huge helping of caution.

Lots of people use the Car Wax. I never get the shine I'm looking for, but I'm sure that's my technique. I can get a great shine with a power polisher on the bikes or the car, just not on a sewing machine for some reason. So yes, I usually use SM oil.

Does heat shrink have the same insulative properties as the sheathing that's usually on the wire? Is it meant for long runs? I'm asking, I'm not sure. Is it as impervious to heat? Long term, with the wires warming up and cooling down, I'd be happier with a properly rebuilt motor, rather than having to go back in and do the work again.

ETA: I'm being hard on you because I know you can do this and I think you'll be happer with the result in the end. It's also empowering. It's the trainer in me at work again.
nope. not being hard on me at all. i like the push as i do need it. i might take on it this weekend as i need to get all the parts i need for my motor rewiring.

i read that heat shrink has high temp capacity and it's like the regular wire insulation cover and might be even better, so they say. thanks.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

It is awesome what you can learn from a repairman that is willing to tell you these things...My repairman has told me a lot of these same things...Thanks for sharing your information..
Old 01-17-2014, 09:53 AM

theres an ebay seller with a potted motor rewire kit for $15, which seems high, but he supplies extra materials, even grease wick and ring connectors. We no longer have electronics splys in the area except Radio Shack. They:re too expensive so I use what I can from the hdwe store.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:49 PM

I learned by error, I read that WD40 would clean machines so I tried it on my Sphynx and it does silver the decals. So, I am back to machine oil, it cleans and doesn't silver decals.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by deanthemean View Post
I learned by error, I read that WD40 would clean machines so I tried it on my Sphynx and it does silver the decals. So, I am back to machine oil, it cleans and doesn't silver decals.

Same thing was also recommended to me too. Same thing happened: WD40 silvered the decals on a 66. I felt really stupid and assumed other people knew this already. So now we all know.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:22 PM

When I said WD40 was rumored to silver decals, I was 99% sure it was right, I just hadn't tried it, because I'd "heard" that before I tried. It's nice to have confirmation, sorry you guys had to be the ones to confirm it.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:57 PM

there's this one tip i learned or have read somewhere else - when you put back the screw, put a dab of oil on it. you will notice how easy it is to unscrew the next time around.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
there's this one tip i learned or have read somewhere else - when you put back the screw, put a dab of oil on it. you will notice how easy it is to unscrew the next time around.
I actually even use anti-sieze lubricant (from the auto parts store) that I had used on spark plugs. Milk of magnesia also works from what I understand. Although that may be a rumor like WD-40