Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
You got what?!?!? for your birthday!?!? >

You got what?!?!? for your birthday!?!?

You got what?!?!? for your birthday!?!?

Old 12-26-2014, 06:09 PM
Power Poster

Happy Birthday and congrats. I am enjoying your journey with this machine.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:38 PM

What is an RAF decal?
Old 12-27-2014, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Don't leave the parts in the Evapo-Rust for too long. Any bar steel with turn black. And it does have a tendency to seep under cracked plating and cause it to peal off.

You could actually use the Evapo-Rust to chemically blacken bare steel parts if you wanted to.

Joe
Thanks for that warning Joe! It doesn't really say anything on the bottle to that effect and I did wonder. The feed dogs did change color a bit after being in there. The double sided binder (part # 8614 for you MacyBaby!) flash rusted even after that secondary dunk, so I wonder if the solution was completely exhausted. DH suggested that we throw the attachments I'd thrown in the garbage (sewing garbage only) in to see how powerful that Evaporust really was. In the morning, the solutions was black, so done.

Out of curiosity, where does your bottle say it's made?

Originally Posted by jlm5419 View Post
I got chocolate for my birthday, and packing boxes.
If I hadn't seen your other post, I'd be a little concerned about packing boxes for Christmas but it looks like you're happy about your move?

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Don't forget the Naptha and the whitie tighties
Already had those here. Wanna know something interesting? It appears that Denatured Alcohol is banned or extremely hard to find here! Good grief! First Cocobolo now this! How's a girl supposed to have any fun?!

Assuming that fireplace fuel is not acceptable (or is it?), it looks like my 4 choices are:
1. Methyl Hydrate - Extremely toxic and will penetrate through gloves to cause neurological problems - And they ban Ethanol!
2. DH suggested we just go get a bottle of Everclear which IS legal here.
3. Lee Valley's Shellac and Lacquer thinner - http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,190,42942 a blend of Ethanol and Isobutyl alcohols
4. 99% Isopropyl Alcohol

The Canadian woodworkers forums promote both of the last 2 for use with Shellac and wood...

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
Tammi,
first....Happy Belated Birthday!
2nd...that is the most awesome find ever!
3rd....that is by far the most bizarre story I have ever heard. I know I would have never been able to do what you did, I would have been freaked out. But then look at the awesome hand crank you got for your bravery! It literally gave me the creeps reading about it. Now here is my theory....that dude is whacked out (I read the Kijiji ad)! It occurred to me immediately that the person you "heard" in the basement was the guy you were talking to on the phone! Yikes!
Cogito! I didn't even go there with him being in the basement! I think DH or I would have heard the "echo" though. It was an old house, sound does travel well. I'm not even sure why I did it. It is really out of character for me! I think that machine needed me and told me that on some level. It gives me the creeps thinking about what could have been. The parts I didn't mention? The walk hadn't been cleared all year and was a skating rink. You couldn't have made a hasty retreat if you'd wanted to, and DH mentioned once we were in the car that there were tons of pairs of shoes on the stairs to the basement. He thought it was a flop house or a place for temp foreign workers. That was borne out by the guy coming up the walk as we left. I almost jumped out of my skin when I saw him when I looked up from trying not to lose my footing!

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Happy Birthday and congrats. I am enjoying your journey with this machine.
Thanks Alice! The journey continues! All of the parts are out of the evapo rust bath now. Once I source some sort of Denatured alcohol I'll be starting on Glenn's process with it then putting it back together.

Originally Posted by inspector#12 View Post
What is an RAF decal?
Royal Air Force http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...0060s15raf.jpg
Old 12-27-2014, 12:56 PM

I wonder why they banned denatured alcohol. It's just alcohol with additives to make you sick if you drink it. Maybe the additives are the problem?
I haven't tried isopropyl alcohol with shellac. Everclear will definitely work, some woodworkers prefer it due to it is nontoxic. Lee Valley is known for quality products, their version will work too.
Rodney
Old 12-27-2014, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I wonder why they banned denatured alcohol. It's just alcohol with additives to make you sick if you drink it. Maybe the additives are the problem?
I haven't tried isopropyl alcohol with shellac. Everclear will definitely work, some woodworkers prefer it due to it is nontoxic. Lee Valley is known for quality products, their version will work too.
Rodney
hmmm....Everclear eh? that brings back some teenage memories.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Rodney
Well we found the everclear in town at the first liquor store we went to. LOL! She said they sell tons of it. Yeah, I've met a few neighbors. I'd believe it. Getting the Lee Valley stuff would have required a trip into the city, so even at double the price and then some, I bet it all comes out in the wash as far as cost once you figure in gas. It worked great. Of course I have no basis for comparison.

I think the government does it because they have nothing better to do? Seriously, I read one post on another forum about this stuff and they said something to the effect of Everclear may make you go blind, torpedo your liver and -can- kill you if you consume way too much of it. Denatured Alcohol will out and out kill you guaranteed if you can get a very small amount of it down.

Methyl Alcohol is far nastier and I can get 946ml of that for under $5 anywhere. Go figure.

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
hmmm....Everclear eh? that brings back some teenage memories.
LOL! I think I've heard of it before but I'm fairly sure I've never had Everclear. Had hootch once though. Ugh! Tasted like swamp water but did the job.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:59 PM

Thanks for the info. I have a handcrank with these decals. [ATTACH=CONFIG]504180[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 12-30-2014, 08:58 PM

That's the one inspector#12! I love that decal.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:55 PM

All I can say is that you have a wonderful husband to have accompanied you on this adventure!
Old 01-02-2015, 11:18 PM

And to think! I was going to send him in alone or go in myself!
Yeah, he supports me in my addiction.