Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
You got what?!?!? for your birthday!?!? >

You got what?!?!? for your birthday!?!?

You got what?!?!? for your birthday!?!?

Old 08-07-2015, 03:57 PM

I just had to bump this post....

The house and landlord that the machine came from is in trouble with the city for a month long yard sale: http://globalnews.ca/news/2153976/it...ard-sale-gone/

Imagine what would happen in that neighborhood if they knew all of what I know about that house... scarier still, he has at least 2 other houses like this.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:34 PM

Yikes. I bet they wait as long as possible to take it down. Free advertising and all.

I've cleaned out a full on horder house. Fun finds, a whole lot of ew.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:48 PM

For my birthday I bought a 47 featherweight. Why, I don't know. She's just pretty sitting next to my 36 featherweight and 301 shortbread. I am NOT a collector of vintage machines.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
Yikes. I bet they wait as long as possible to take it down. Free advertising and all.

I've cleaned out a full on horder house. Fun finds, a whole lot of ew.
The city says they can't do anything about it until September - in order to properly serve the notice requirements, give time for the owner to appeal, etc. That poor neighborhood. And tons of people on social media are calling the neighbors "NIMBYs".

I feel bad for the "tenants" too. He's renting by the week, it's fairly obvious that they have little other choice - it seems exploitive. Imagine having people traipsing through your yard and house whenever he wants. If I'd realized all of this, I would not have supported his bad behaviour at Christmas.

I see things like this and feel the urge to purge... I wonder if I have enough stuff singled out for a garage sale yet...
Old 08-08-2015, 04:05 PM

Tammie, Happy Birthday and Congratulations! Wow!

Jeanette
Old 08-08-2015, 04:43 PM
Power Poster

Our neighbor rents out one of his rooms by the week. 2 weeks ago he got a rude awakening in the morning. There was tear gas blasted through his front window back window and patio door. I heard the blast, peeked out a window and saw a person wearing combat fatigues and holding an automatic weapon aimed at the neighbors house standing behind a jeep. What a way to wake up? Were they repossessing a car or what???? I didn't see any other cars on the street. It turned out to be an FBI raid 35 people across Indy were arrested at 6am. It was a huge drug bust planned for a hear ahead. Shortly after we saw cars by the dozens full of people with clip boards. Our neighbor rented his room to one of the suspects. He is still cleaning up the mess the FBI left behind.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:33 PM
Banned

Been there done that Miriam. In 1991 our next door neighbors were dealing. Both houses were the same color. We came home from visiting family to find our front door kicked in with a search warrant for "the light green house with glass front porch" taped to the door. They had torn my house apart looking for what wasn't there. Lots of things were destroyed. We didn't get so much as an apology.

Cari
Old 08-08-2015, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
Tammi,
first....Happy Belated Birthday!
2nd...that is the most awesome find ever!
3rd....that is by far the most bizarre story I have ever heard. I know I would have never been able to do what you did, I would have been freaked out. But then look at the awesome hand crank you got for your bravery! It literally gave me the creeps reading about it. Now here is my theory....that dude is whacked out (I read the Kijiji ad)! It occurred to me immediately that the person you "heard" in the basement was the guy you were talking to on the phone! Yikes!
. Now i am going to have weird dreams.
Ok that is super creepy
Old 08-08-2015, 05:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Been there done that Miriam. In 1991 our next door neighbors were dealing. Both houses were the same color. We came home from visiting family to find our front door kicked in with a search warrant for "the light green house with glass front porch" taped to the door. They had torn my house apart looking for what wasn't there. Lots of things were destroyed. We didn't get so much as an apology.

Cari
Did you paint your house after that??? I'm so glad the FBI didn't get the wrong house here. My dad and mom would never have survived that kind of thing. They are 89 and 90 and it was enough excitement to have the FBI raid the neighbors. I think the poor guy next door is still cleaning up the aftermath. The windows are still boarded up. His family has been over there every day trying to help him and it has been 2 weeks. I think the first week was spent trying to get the smell or what ever out of the house. I hope that old man chooses better boarders next time around. I think he is trying to suppliment SSI with some rent either that or he's in it up to his eyeballs....
Old 08-08-2015, 09:10 PM
Banned

The neighbors were moving out in a BIG hurry when we got home. That was our first clue something was up. There's more to the story but I'll just say that the wrong house was deliberately pointed out by someone trying to save his own neck and not be a snitch while he was being a snitch. Small town antics.

Cari