Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 143 of 247 FirstFirst ... 43 93 133 142 143 144 153 193 243 ... LastLast
Results 3,551 to 3,575 of 6168

Thread: [DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jolo
    Yes I just have the hand applique to do on the tri and C 9
    Great stuff, Jolo - look forward to seeing your pics.

Oh gosh, I am so glad I found this thread. I had started the dear jane some 3 years or so ago and have about 15 block made. I will join this and start going again. I have the software and ruler etc. I am doing srappy, of course...a quilt for nothing lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosyhf
    Oh gosh, I am so glad I found this thread. I had started the dear jane some 3 years or so ago and have about 15 block made. I will join this and start going again. I have the software and ruler etc. I am doing srappy, of course...a quilt for nothing lol.
    Welcome Rosy! I can't imagine trying to make this on my own. I'm afraid that would ensure this quilt becomes a UFO. :lol: It's so much easier with friends and these ladies are so inspiring it's hard not to want to keep going. You aren't really that far behind. I've only got 21 blocks made and several of them still need the applique added so I imagine it won't take you any time at all to catch up and pass me. ;)

Blog Entries
    So glad you found us Rosie - it will be good to have another one with us. We started off at the beginning of the year with about 70 or so, but I have no idea how many are managing to keep going. Some are a little behind, and a few, like you, have joined us along the way. Most of those have started at the stage we are at in the schedule, and are catching up the earlier ones as they go along. You can find the info at the beginning of this thread.

Blog Entries
    Hey Rosy glad to have you join us. I started on week 10 so I am a faairly newby too. I am making mine a scrappy too.

Welcome Rosy, You will find everyone really helpful and everyone is keeping us all going, Warning these blocks are very addictive, but so worth it.

Elle

Blog Entries
    Oh Rosy, glad you are going to join us! In looking at your other work...I'm excited to see how you'll put this one together. I'm still in awe from drooling all over your other quilts this morning! :lol: :lol:

Oh good, I'm so glad to be here. I need some inspiration to start the Jane again. I will be doing her while I mess with Colorful quilt....

Blog Entries
    OK, background to this posting is on page 213, where I was explaining about how I intended to QAYG, but not to put the background fabric on at this stage. Then someone (sorry, can't remember who) asked to see the back of my quilt, so I thought I would take some more pics for you to see how I have been joining the batting on the back. Here goes:

Mark join with a pencil
    Name:  Attachment-80544.jpe
Views: 31
Size:  20.8 KB

Trim the second side
    Name:  Attachment-80545.jpe
Views: 71
Size:  28.7 KB

Sew closed with whip stitch.
    Name:  Attachment-80614.jpe
Views: 37
Size:  91.9 KB

Part of the back
    Name:  Attachment-80685.jpe
Views: 33
Size:  61.4 KB

Closer
    Name:  Attachment-80686.jpe
Views: 36
Size:  46.7 KB

Trim batting away, about 1/8th inch from sashing, on one side..
    Name:  Attachment-80687.jpe
Size:  31.8 KB

Overlap trimmed edge onto untrimmed
    Name:  Attachment-80688.jpe
Views: 69
Size:  24.9 KB

Keep going and you end up with this!!!
    Name:  Attachment-80689.jpe
Size:  88.2 KB

Blog Entries
    LESLEY - that's beautiful and so clever.

I'd love to join the sew along IF I can get some other projects done...or wait...maybe it could become a project to hand sew when I'm out of the house waiting somewhere.

Hmmmmm! Good thinking huh? I'll bookmark this thread.
    Thanks

Lesley, that is just absolutely beautiful and such beautiful work as well. Well done for getting this length and thanks so much for showing how it is done.

Elle

Blog Entries
    Oohhhhh boy Lesley (almost hyperventilating)...that is beautiful!!! Your trip around the world shows up beautifully... :D . I can't believe you are almost finished with it in such a short period of time. Makes me want to run in and work on more blocks of mine!! I'm sooo happy and proud for you!!

And quiltinghere...yes..do jump right in! As Lesley showed you, the water looks mighty good!

Hi guys!!

I am so happy, I finally got my GC to Amazon so I just picked up the software for Dear Jane. Pat was kind enough to make a mock up for me in her software, so I could see if I liked the idea in my head:

[img] http://static.quiltingboard.com/uplo...white_jane.jpg[/img]

And some board members have been kind enough to share some pieces of orange fabric with me, as I want to try and use a different orange for each block, which would be nearly impossible to buy all on my own!!

/sidenote/ The kindness of the people on this board never ceases to amaze me!! /end sidenote/

So I am off to a good start. Hopefully I will be making blocks right along with you guys very soon!!

Cheers!
    Rachel

Blog Entries
    Oh boy Rachel..so glad you already got your software, that was quick! Come on, jump right on in! :D

Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Oh boy Rachel..so glad you already got your software, that was quick! Come on, jump right on in! :D
    I know!! I am so excited!! I still have to figure out what I am going to do for the background. I donít know if I should just buy a bolt of fabric so itís all the same (sashing too) or maybe do a dark blue scrappy look for the blocks. I donít want the piecing to get lost in the background, so I am not sure if scrappy would be a good idea Ö.. But then the thought of buying a bolt of fabric right now is daunting LOL

Rachel

Blog Entries
    Look in the software...Home..Quilt..then Yardage amounts. I don't think you need an entire bolt...but try whittles.com or thousandsofbolts.com...you can get what you need fairly inexpensively.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by athenagwis
    I know!! I am so excited!! I still have to figure out what I am going to do for the background. I donít know if I should just buy a bolt of fabric so itís all the same (sashing too) or maybe do a dark blue scrappy look for the blocks. I donít want the piecing to get lost in the background, so I am not sure if scrappy would be a good idea Ö.. But then the thought of buying a bolt of fabric right now is daunting LOL

Rachel
    Love your circular idea for the blocks Rachel, I bought a bolt of Kona cotton from Hancocks of Paducah (15 yards, and it has done everything (background, sashing and plain tris). There is also enough left to do the scallops on the edge too, so the only other fabric I needed was the backing. Since mine was in a natural colour, I ordered their 120in wide natural to match. It's on its way now - I've been waiting for it for about two weeks so far, so it won't be much longer.

I went with buying a bolt of fabric for the background and sashing and binding too. It's more than I need but I'm so glad I did!

Is anyone else as sick of Y-seams as I am? I didn't mind them when I first started but I'm quickly growing sick, sick, sick of them. Meh!

Blog Entries
    It looks like my quilt is about done :wink: Every time I look at it , it takes my breath away. Someday .. I think.. maybe :roll:

Oh Lesley...your quilt is so so pretty pretty pretty! Had I seen yours before I started I would have copied your fabrics, yes, I love it that much! :) Thank you for posting the back, as I did ask to see.

Welcome to the Cyber Party Rachel! Love the circle, I haven't seen that design!

Tiffany, those Y seams, somedays they are fine, some days they are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Quote Originally Posted by athenagwis

Rachel
    Love your circular idea for the blocks Rachel, I bought a bolt of Kona cotton from Hancocks of Paducah (15 yards, and it has done everything (background, sashing and plain tris). There is also enough left to do the scallops on the edge too, so the only other fabric I needed was the backing. Since mine was in a natural colour, I ordered their 120in wide natural to match. It's on its way now - I've been waiting for it for about two weeks so far, so it won't be much longer.
    Great idea on buying the bolt from Hancocks, I see if you buy more than 2 yards, it ends up being $4 a yard. Not bad! Ö. Hmmm maybe I can even get a Kona bolt at Joanns with a coupon ÖÖ. How much of your bolt do you have left after all that? Do you think I need the full 15 yards? I know Pat said I didnít LOL, but since you are finished and you did buy a bolt, you can probably tell me pretty easily. :)

The circular pattern was 100% Patís idea and I LOVE it!! She also came up with the totally white blocks in there. I wasnít sure at first because I really wanted just orange and blue, but the more I look at it I think it really compliments it and makes it not too overpowering. We have to figure out how she can get me the file once I have the software, and I might play around a little more.

I am so excited to get started, but itíll probably still be a little bit before I can get enough fabric to get started. Thatís okay though. I plan on jumping in on the week you are on whenever I start and then working on the previous weeks as I can. :)

Rachel

Blog Entries
    I have a piece 112in by 38in left, but still have to cut out my scallops from that, so most of it will be used up by then.

Before you go to the Hancocks shops, as opposed to getting it from Hancocks of Paducah, please read some of the various threads on here about the possible differences. I have never had anything from one of the shops, because I live here in Ireland, but I have read several comments that USA quilters have said that they don't think the same fabric quality is available in the shops compared to the mail order one from Paducah. I can't comment, but if you want to be sure, why not ask on the board? Or possibly treat yourself to half a yard of orange from both places so that you could compare for yourself?

I have a piece 112in by 38in left, but still have to cut out my scallops from that, so most of it will be used up by then.

Before you go to the Hancocks shops, as opposed to getting it from Hancocks of Paducah, please read some of the various threads on here about the possible differences. I have never had anything from one of the shops, because I live here in Ireland, but I have read several comments that USA quilters have said that they don't think the same fabric quality is available in the shops compared to the mail order one from Paducah. I can't comment, but if you want to be sure, why not ask on the board? Or possibly treat yourself to half a yard of orange from both places so that you could compare for yourself?
    Thanks for the tip!! I actually don't have a Hancock's near me, so I would be ordering online from Hancock's of Paducah anyway. They have a great price, so that is fine by me. :) Thanks for letting me know what you have left, I think I'll go ahead and get a bolt when I am ready (and have the $ LOL) just to be safe, I am sure I can find a use for the leftovers if need be! :)

Cheers!
    Rachel

Rachel, just for your own information, the fabric bolts from Joann's are usually only around 6-8 yards of fabric. At least it is for my shop here. I asked one of the gals working there about it and was told it is normal for them. I want to mention this, in case your store does the same thing. It means a bolt might not be enough from there, depending on how you plan to use it.

Hancocks of Paducah is NOT affiliated with the Hancocks outlet chains. There is a big difference in quality and prices and a coupon or sale with one is not honored at the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    Rachel, just for your own information, the fabric bolts from Joann's are usually only around 6-8 yards of fabric. At least it is for my shop here. I asked one of the gals working there about it and was told it is normal for them. I want to mention this, in case your store does the same thing. It means a bolt might not be enough from there, depending on how you plan to use it.

Hancocks of Paducah is NOT affiliated with the Hancocks outlet chains. There is a big difference in quality and prices and a coupon or sale with one is not honored at the other.
    These are both good pieces of information to know. I think I will just go with Hancock's of Paducah when I am ready. At least I know that it's good quality for this quilt since there is experience using it here. This is not a quilt where I want to take a chance on quality. Plus you can't go wrong at $4 a yard!! I will be pre-washing too, something I rarely do except for swaps, but for the time and effort being put into this one, I think it necessary.

Cheers!
    Rachel

Page 143 of 247 FirstFirst ... 43 93 133 142 143 144 153 193 243 ... LastLast