Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 142 of 247 FirstFirst ... 42 92 132 141 142 143 152 192 242 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,550 of 6168

Thread: [DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

  1. #3526
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Tiffany, Thanks for that tip, never heard of that one but if it works then its for me.

    Anyone else got a tip out there that works for them.

    The only tip I can give you is that when I do half triangles I cut the material the whole width of the strip. Sew it on lengthwise and it always fits. I know it uses extra material but darn it, I canīt afford any more gray hairs.

  2. #3527
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    Ok, next time I take some pics, I will turn it over so you can see the back. I got another row on today, so there are 10 all together now.

  3. #3528
    Super Member Tiffany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Idaho Falls
    Posts
    1,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
    Tiffany, Thanks for that tip, never heard of that one but if it works then its for me.

    Anyone else got a tip out there that works for them.

    The only tip I can give you is that when I do half triangles I cut the material the whole width of the strip. Sew it on lengthwise and it always fits. I know it uses extra material but darn it, I canīt afford any more gray hairs.
    Yep, I've reached that point too. I do enough reverse sewing and I'm tired of turning the piece over and finding I'm short. Cheap is what I am; trying to cut corners by cutting the piece too small. I end up wasting more fabric because the piece ends up too small and I have to cut out an entirely new, bigger piece. :roll:

    If anyone is interested in checking out the trunk show Sally Collins did for our guild, just click on Snake River Valley Quilt Guild.

  4. #3529
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    Tiff, thanks for that link...the trunk show looks amazing! I want to reach out and touch :D I'm very impressed by the show and tell also...your group is very good!!!

    I'll give your shared tip a try. I'm always open to at least trying things. My 1st thought is that it will slow me down and I'm slow as a turtle as it is...but I will try it to see!

    My tip is .....fold the paper down towards you, hold it to the light as you hold up your next piece. If your fabric totally covers the section you are ready to sew...it will cover it when you sew it and you won't be unsewing anything. Somewhere on this thread I showed a pic of doing this.

  5. #3530
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    Ladies, I'm sooo excited today!!! Today and the next few days that new LQS near me is having their Grand Opening sales...so of course, I HAD to go! Anyway..since she offers a great selection of CW fabs, I bundled up my Jane blocks and off I went determined to find my sashing and backing. Well...I DID find it!

    I had decided that I wanted to be different and go with a dark background rather than the light..so I went with a Moda Kansas Troubles really dark brown. At first I thought that I would just use the same thing on the back, but I loved this sweet little floral that matched so well...I decided to use it...So...I got enough for the Jane and picked up some cuts and FQ's too and got out of there for less than $130.00!! I'm doing the happy dance!!! Now I'll be able to start doing the QAYG like Lesley once I get all the IRR's done so I can focus on Jane :lol: :lol: :lol:

  6. #3531
    wilhelmina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Ladies, I'm sooo excited today!!! Today and the next few days that new LQS near me is having their Grand Opening sales...so of course, I HAD to go! Anyway..since she offers a great selection of CW fabs, I bundled up my Jane blocks and off I went determined to find my sashing and backing. Well...I DID find it!

    I had decided that I wanted to be different and go with a dark background rather than the light..so I went with a Moda Kansas Troubles really dark brown. At first I thought that I would just use the same thing on the back, but I loved this sweet little floral that matched so well...I decided to use it...So...I got enough for the Jane and picked up some cuts and FQ's too and got out of there for less than $130.00!! I'm doing the happy dance!!! Now I'll be able to start doing the QAYG like Lesley once I get all the IRR's done so I can focus on Jane :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Patti, That sounds very pretty, post some pics of the fabric, so we can all see! :-P

  7. #3532
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Great price Patti, because I know you need quite a few yards of backing fabric.

    I am going to have to do a few of my blocks over, not happy with Mr Wonky and I do like that block it would make a nice centre piece for my on point design.

  8. #3533
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    Patti, so pleased for you getting the remaining fabrics for Jane etc. - sounds like a good price. Please can we see them????? Pretty please???

  9. #3534
    Super Member Tiffany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Idaho Falls
    Posts
    1,908
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    My tip is .....fold the paper down towards you, hold it to the light as you hold up your next piece. If your fabric totally covers the section you are ready to sew...it will cover it when you sew it and you won't be unsewing anything. Somewhere on this thread I showed a pic of doing this.
    I know this. I do this. But sometimes I try to make a piece fit rather then cutting out a new piece. It's that 'save everything & use it all up' mentality. I'm so used to having to squeeze the most I can out of a fabric since I use so many scraps that sometimes I am my own worst enemy.

    Oooh, I agree with the others, show us your pretty new fabric! :-D

  10. #3535
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    I'll post a pic in a little while...after coffee and morning feeding....

  11. #3536
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    I have a question please.

    When doing your quilting which I will be doing by hand (she says hopefully) what weight thread do you use and also the make. I need to order some.

    also I will be quilting the vast majority on black and my eyes being the way they are, would a varigated thread be a good idea or not, I just canīt see me quilting in black. As my fabrics are asian my thought was varigated but can you get this in a quilting thread?

    Thanks in advance for all you advice.

    Elle

  12. #3537
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
    I have a question please.

    When doing your quilting which I will be doing by hand (she says hopefully) what weight thread do you use and also the make. I need to order some.

    also I will be quilting the vast majority on black and my eyes being the way they are, would a varigated thread be a good idea or not, I just canīt see me quilting in black. As my fabrics are asian my thought was varigated but can you get this in a quilting thread?



    Thanks in advance for all you advice.

    Elle
    Sulky make varigated cotton, but it's not specifically sold for quilting as far as I know. I have used it for machine quilting, and I liked it for that, so can't see why hand quilting would be any harder. I like it particularly because the colours change in a relatively short length it comes in two weights, and it's the 30 you need for machine/hand sewing. Hancocks of Paducah have it, and will send you a catalogue (be prepared to want to order everything in it though). I have used Gutermann thread for mine because I had plenty of it.

  13. #3538
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Thanks Lesley, I have some Gutterman which my Brother machine doesnīt like and found out it was it was wound differently, donīt ask me, I am only the messenger.

    I would like to try that out on my black material, thanks for the tips.

    Elle

  14. #3539
    Super Member Tiffany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Idaho Falls
    Posts
    1,908
    An easy way to see if the thread is going to work on your piece or not (either to match the quilt or for ease of eye strain) unwind a couple feet of it and let the thread drop onto the fabric in a pile. Basically you are simply unspooling a bit of the thread and allowing it to pile on the fabric. Sometimes how the thread looks on the spool is different from how it looks on the quilt and this easy test will let you know if you want to use the thread you've chosen or pick another color.

    I've quilted with all sorts of different thread. Aurofil quilts nicely, but I've also used the thread that comes from Connecting Threads, Gutterman, Presentia (from Spain), and Y-?? something or other. I really haven't had a problem with any of them.

  15. #3540
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    Elle...I've been told that you can hand quilt with any of the machine quilting threads. It just depends on your preference. I do like the varigated that change color rather quickly otherwise they tend to disappear for stretches in my opinion. But thats just my opinion.

    Here is a pic of the fabrics I got yesterday. The pic with the blocks and tris is more the actual color. The close up is way too light.

    blocks on the sashing/floral is the back
    Name:  Attachment-79367.jpe
Views: 64
Size:  127.8 KB

    Color is WAY off here...tooo light
    Name:  Attachment-79368.jpe
Views: 37
Size:  107.6 KB

  16. #3541
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    Oooooh, yummy choice, Pattie - a chocolate Jane!!!!!

    Elle, the pic is one of my quilts that I stitched meandering quilting on the black with that Sulky thread I mentioned - I'm not sure if it will show up on here, if not, I'll try and take a better pic over the weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  17. #3542
    Super Member Butterflyspain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Torrox, Andalucia, Southern Spain
    Posts
    9,532
    Oh lesley, only one word to describe that....delicious. Its beautiful you do such wonderful work.

    Elle

  18. #3543
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
    Oh lesley, only one word to describe that....delicious. Its beautiful you do such wonderful work.

    Elle
    Thanks Elle, but the pic didn't really show the quilting that I was wanting you to see. I'll have another go tomorrow.

  19. #3544
    wilhelmina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    705
    Patti, love your fabric, thanks for posting. :) The second shows the pretty pattern detail even if the flash made it look too light. :)

  20. #3545
    Super Member Tiffany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Idaho Falls
    Posts
    1,908
    You really don't want to hand quilt with machine quilting thread. And you definitely don't want to use hand quilting thread (which is waxed) in your machine! :( The reason is that the two are wound completely differently. If you use machine quilting thread, you can wax it but it still likes to tangle up a lot. If you don't have a choice I wouldn't worry too much but if you can, it's just easier and less hassle to use the right thread with the right project.

    If all you have is hand quilting thread, you still do NOT want to use it in your machine or it will gum up the insides & give you a twirling mess. :shock:

    I hope this helps.

    Lacy - if your sunflower quilt needs a home, I promise to give it lots of love and stroke it often! :lol: It sure is pretty!

    Pat - that is gorgeous!! I can't wait to see how it looks finished. YUM!

  21. #3546
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    Thanks ya'll, I'm so glad you think the fab will look good. I hadn't thought about it being a "chocolate" Jane..but hey..maybe thats my quilt's name :lol: :lol:

    Lace...you flowers and thread painting on that quilt are yummy, yummy!!! I can see the meandering quilting in the background.

  22. #3547
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    I would be honoured Patti if you call your quilt Chocolate Jane - its exactly what I thought as soon as I saw your fabrics.

    I've started a thread for week 22 as I saw it mentioned, so thought I would try and encourage you all. Keep in mind that it isn't long now before the schedule drops down to only 3 blocks a week plus a tri. On the other hand, if you can keep up production at the 4 blocks level, you would all get a little ahead of yourselves!!!

  23. #3548
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Antlers Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,668
    Blog Entries
    1
    Lesley where is week 22, I cant find it.

  24. #3549
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by jolo
    Lesley where is week 22, I cant find it.
    Here it is...http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-48435-1.htm#1126301. Anytime you want to find a thread that someone says they started..just click on their name, then click on "topics" started and you'll find it. Now...have you done yours jo?

  25. #3550
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Antlers Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,668
    Blog Entries
    1
    Yes I just have the hand applique to do on the tri and C 9

Page 142 of 247 FirstFirst ... 42 92 132 141 142 143 152 192 242 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.