Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 205 of 247 FirstFirst ... 105 155 195 204 205 206 215 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,125 of 6168

Thread: [DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

hi esq.... sorry to hear about all your struggles, I hope you can get back to sewing soon. I have been super busy too so I am waaaaaay behind on Jane!! LOL

Rachel

Blog Entries
    I woke up this morning and had that AH HA DUH moment! You know the 1/2" that I've been wondering about for the long tri borders???? It shows up when you add the kites to 2 of the sides....DUH!!! Its no wonder you thought I was crazy Lesley!!! ......I don't know why I didn't realize this before!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    I woke up this morning and had that AH HA DUH moment! You know the 1/2" that I've been wondering about for the long tri borders???? It shows up when you add the kites to 2 of the sides....DUH!!! Its no wonder you thought I was crazy Lesley!!! ......I don't know why I didn't realize this before!
    Well I am glad the mystery is solved - I don't think you told us about the two kites being added.

Blog Entries
    I haven't added them yet. I'm now sewing the batting triangles to the back of my wide tri border after trimming the excess batting off the trapunto. I cut out some triangles of batting and I'm snuggling them up next to the pieced tris batting....and sewing them together just like we did for the batting squares in the center section. I decided that I didn't want to use a long strip and have a double layer on the pieced tris.

But it makes sense doesn't it?

Blog Entries
    A question for you guys who have put your quilts together already.
    When you attached the tri borders to the center section, did you attach
    The kites to the border prior to attaching them to the center section
    Or did you set the kites in after?

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    REmember that I put my quilt together before I quilted it - I put 2 kites at the end of 2 rows of tris - top & bottom. I sewed the side rows on first, then the top & bottom rows, just like sashing with cornerstones would be sewn on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
    REmember that I put my quilt together before I quilted it - I put 2 kites at the end of 2 rows of tris - top & bottom. I sewed the side rows on first, then the top & bottom rows, just like sashing with cornerstones would be sewn on.
    Patti, I think I did mine like Kathy too.

Blog Entries
    Thats what I was thinking would be the best way. In this instance, I don't think the fact that I already have batting on the border and have some of it quilted makes any difference.

I think I'll sew on the kites, then hand quilt them before it goes on the center section. .....big sigh....to be soooo close, there sure is a LOT left to do!! :lol:

Blog Entries
    [quote=sandpat]Thats what I was thinking would be the best way. In this instance, I don't think the fact that I already have batting on the border and have some of it quilted makes any difference.

I think I'll sew on the kites, then hand quilt them before it goes on the center section. .....big sigh....to be soooo close, there sure is a LOT left to do!! :lol:[/quote

Don't get disheartened at this stage Patti - to have that top all together is a veritable achievement, and not to be sneezed at. Especially as at that point, you will have it all quilted too. There is, of course the next stage to get through. I opted to hand quilt round (in the ditch) round my blocks to hold the backing behind the top. I don't really want to tell you how long that part took me, suffice to say it was longer than I thought - I just don't want to put you off, because you might be planning to machine that part.

Getting the binding on was a joy for me, and that took me four days - I hand stitched it down on the back at the rate of one side per evening.

Blog Entries
    Haha...I remember how long it took you to stab stitch in the ditch by hand Lesley!!! I am planning to machine that part...it won't show, so why do it by hand?....I realize that I won't be able to say that its "All" hand quilted, but thats ok with me.

I got all the batting on the tris sewn together today, so tonight I'll start quilting the kites. I am getting closer!

Jan and Kathy...how are ya'll coming??? Elle, are you still sewing rows together as you get the batting sewn down on the back???

Blog Entries
    I'm still quiltin' away - count now is 126 blocks.

Blog Entries
    Haha...I remember how long it took you to stab stitch in the ditch by hand Lesley!!! I am planning to machine that part...it won't show, so why do it by hand?....I realize that I won't be able to say that its "All" hand quilted, but thats ok with me.

But you can still say Hand and machine quilted - everything on the front will be hand quilted, and that's what matters!

Blog Entries
    126 Kathy!!!! Yippee! You are making great progress, especially when you consider all the other things you have going at the same time....:D:

I don't mind saying Hand and machine quilted for mine..it just doesn't bother me in the least :wink: The trapunto will be machined as well as the QITD...so there will be some machine quilting showing. I think it will be fine though. 1 kite quilted last night....3 more to go....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    126 Kathy!!!! Yippee! You are making great progress, especially when you consider all the other things you have going at the same time....:D:

I don't mind saying Hand and machine quilted for mine..it just doesn't bother me in the least :wink: The trapunto will be machined as well as the QITD...so there will be some machine quilting showing. I think it will be fine though. 1 kite quilted last night....3 more to go....
    Oooh, getting closer by the minute, Patti. I'm looking forward to a pic the day you get the whole top together, won't be long now.

Blog Entries
    You know I'll take a pic the second I get to that point! LOL!

Sounds like there is a lot progress in motion with the quilts!!! :D

I am trying to get back into mine, as I feel I have taken a long break! :wink: I am a little stumped on the scallops, which color(s) fabric to use. It seems all the quilts that are done, use the same sashing fabric for the scallops. Well, I don't have enough and even if I did I wouldn't want that much black. So, I am in a dilemma and trying to find my way out! :roll: I had decided to use my creams, and even cut all of them out, but they just don't look right :?

Blog Entries
    Hmmm.....that is kind of a dilemna then isn't it??? What did you not like about the creams? I would think that would have worked.

1 1/2 kites left to go......

They look too light, almost like they don't belong. I have a pack of triangles in my fabric line, I just layed the matching fabric to each plain tri, I like that better...but I will have to rip off one row of scallops. :roll:

:lol:

Patti with 1-1/2 kites to go...you are smokin! Of course, you are way ahead of me, as I am just working on the quilt top, you are quilted!!! :lol:

Blog Entries
    Would they look more pleasing to you if you bound the quilt with a dark binding? Might make those creams pop out nicely!

I've been hand quilting my blocks and have 23 finished. I race home from work, cook dinner and jump right into quilting. I'm loving it as I've never hand quilted anything before.
    Patti you are all but done! Yeah!

Rachel, it's so good to hear from you! You were right, I almost fell off my chair! LOL! Things will start looking better for you soon and picking up your quilting will help! Great therapy!!

Blog Entries
    Meredith, can you take a pic so we can take a gander and perhaps suggest something? Don't take those scallops off til then, in case the darker binding idea would do the trick.

Jan, I'm so glad you are enjoying the quilting - because they are little blocks, it goes quickly, and I found they were very moorish.

Quote Originally Posted by wilhelmina
    Sounds like there is a lot progress in motion with the quilts!!! :D

I am trying to get back into mine, as I feel I have taken a long break! :wink: I am a little stumped on the scallops, which color(s) fabric to use. It seems all the quilts that are done, use the same sashing fabric for the scallops. Well, I don't have enough and even if I did I wouldn't want that much black. So, I am in a dilemma and trying to find my way out! :roll: I had decided to use my creams, and even cut all of them out, but they just don't look right :?
    Show us your quilt and lets see if we can help, have you got a picture of you blocks that you have done. Other eyes might be able to see. Elle

Just for the record I am using the white I used for my blocks for the surround and also for the scallops.

Perhaps look at the quilt as a whole and the colour that comes out most you could use as your surround, just thinking and typing out loud as it were here.

Elle

Blog Entries
    Meredith, I was thinking about your quilt last night in my dreams :lol:..I was wondering about if you had enough of the plain tri fabrics to match them with your scallop row. Do lay it out for us (before you undo the 1 row) so we can see...as you can tell...we love to help!

Jan, you are zooming along too! I really enjoyed doing the hand quilting part, especially since the blocks are so small. You feel like you are making great headway every night. I'm going to miss having those in my hands at night while watching tv...so enjoy the ride!

I finished the kites last night...so today, the plan is to sew them on, then sew the tri bordered to the center. If I have time...I'll add the outer scallop border to that (since I'm doing mine in 1 long piece). I wonder...should I do that prior to doing the QITD??? The only reason that I'm considering doing it that way is because I want to make sure everything fits well prior to doing the additional quilting on the trapunto tris....hmmmmmm....decisions, decisions....

Page 205 of 247 FirstFirst ... 105 155 195 204 205 206 215 ... LastLast