Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 01-15-2010, 05:40 PM

Help! I am getting discouraged. I got my paper, roller, fourth inch ruler, and went at it. I seem to be doing something wrong or is there a certain learning curve. My seams are thick with the paper, and when I do small strips they are not even, I roll and iron. Am I suppose to be taking the paper out of the seams? I made two blocks yesterday and one today and none of them pass the smell test. Did you all get it right away or should I keep plugging? Should I pick out all the easy blocks on the list and do them for practice? I have already ruined some of my precious dyed fabric - yuk!
Old 01-15-2010, 05:48 PM

Oh it's a learning curve alright! Try not to be too disheartened.

Everyone has different methods... I take all the paper off once each section is done, because I find it too difficult to work with. But I'm using normal printer paper and I starch the snot out of my fabrics so they sit flat.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by martha jo
Help! I am getting discouraged. I got my paper, roller, fourth inch ruler, and went at it. I seem to be doing something wrong or is there a certain learning curve. My seams are thick with the paper, and when I do small strips they are not even, I roll and iron. Am I suppose to be taking the paper out of the seams? I made two blocks yesterday and one today and none of them pass the smell test. Did you all get it right away or should I keep plugging? Should I pick out all the easy blocks on the list and do them for practice? I have already ruined some of my precious dyed fabric - yuk!
yes, do an easy block to get comfortable - try A6 as a paper piecing.

now the way to deal with the units when you bring them together....

some people remove all the paper from the units and then sew them to each other.

i leave my paper on, the when i join 2 units together i remove the paper thats in that seam area only.

then i attach more units and i just continue in this fashion.

bluechicken removes the paper that would be in the seam area and then sews the unit together.

so there's a few ways to tackle each block and when you get comfortable with the process you'll know which way to handle it.

but for now do A6 and use scrap fabric.

here's a couple of pics that show what i'm talking about when removing the paper in the seam areas.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-58484.jpe   attachment-58528.jpe  
Old 01-15-2010, 06:01 PM

OK Kelly, I have just completed RS12 and TR9 which took me all day long and they look so crappy I can't stand it. There are no directions so it's like putting a puzzle together and those Y seams are killing me!! I had to add little pieces of fabric here and there and I'm not happy with them. I used the tute that the gals made but mine turned out crooked which is entirely my fault, not theirs! I also ripped every seam I sewed. Do I sound p****d off? You could say that,LOL! Thanks for letting me vent, I think I'll stick with the blocks. Is anyone else having this much trouble?????????
Old 01-15-2010, 06:13 PM

Janstar, I still haven't tried a triangle because they aren't part of my design. I thought about doing them just for fun LMAO.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:18 PM

Oh you'll have fun alright!! LMAO! Iv'e never been so crazed! Is that a word? There's got to be an easier way.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Banned

i haven't tried them yet but if there's a way to make it easier i'll certainly try to find it.

if i can redraft them into paper piecing to avoid bugs i'll do that.

for example, LS10 has set in seams and i've redrafted the block to be 100% paper piecing so you don't have to deal with inset seams unless you want to.

i won't be hitting those triangle until next weekend and then i'll let you know what i've come up with.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:41 PM

Klue, you may end up talking me into trying them afterall.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by retrogirl02
Klue, you may end up talking me into trying them afterall.
they aren't all killers. i put all the easy triangles in november and december.

then any blocks/triangle/kites that i can redraft to be easier with paper piecing i will - it might mean a few more seams than the original jane but whats a girl to do.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:16 PM

I'll be waiting for the redrafts because I'm not happy with what I did. Feel like I wasted a whole day!