Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 04-29-2010, 05:44 PM

Hi Wilhelmina, it seems that several of us prefer the idea of plain triangles as 'tweenies'. The time it takes per block varies between 1/2 hour for simple one to several hours for the most complex, especially if there is alot of handwork. I must confess that I have machine appliqued quite a few of my difficult blocks, well it is 2010!! LOL!
Old 04-30-2010, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

Oh my....you wouldn't want to go by my time....I am sooo slow! Its because I'm not very experienced at a lot of the "regular" sewing techniques. But...I'm learning, so its ok.

This next week is looking pretty hard to me...one in particular...and I'm wondering how in the heck to even get started on it~
Old 04-30-2010, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

I'm a bit like Wil', with timings, the quickest are about half an hour, and the longest about an hour and a half, with the applique sections on them, but I haven't really made a note of the time printing out the patterns and trimming them, so that would add a bit. I have hand appliqued all mine, but that is really because I quite like that part. I hope to start making blocks again over this weekend, as I've nearly completed what I had promised others to get done. That doesn't include the IRR I need to get done sometime, but I have until June 15th for that. I am intrigued at the idea of 'secret' diamonds over the quilt with the colour placement, so I'm looking forward to seeing some of those laid out.

Next question.....What is everyone contemplating with the corner that Jane embroidered with her name etc.? Are you going to do it the same, and put your own name/date etc. on a label on the back? Or possibly substitute your own name and date where Jane did? Or any other ideas?
Old 04-30-2010, 09:29 AM

I am going to put my own name and date on it, why not! I'd like to put the Hampshire Rose on it too, which is part of the Hampshire Emblem and appears on everything in the county (like your state). But that is seriously some time away yet and things may change.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

Perhaps I should put a shamrock on mine!
Old 04-30-2010, 01:42 PM

Shamrock sounds great to me! It needs to be something personal to you doesn't it!
Old 04-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

Lesley..you are soo far ahead of me in the thinking this thing through! My first thought would be of course, I'd put my own name and date, etc....but we'll see...I probably won't make that decision until I'm almost ready to do it!

I think a shamrock would be lovely though...and look great with your colors too.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:00 PM

I like the idea of personalizing the quilt, great idea!

Gee, when paper piecing, it can take me 30 minutes to peel the paper off some of these blocks! I'm at a 2 hours average, start to finish per block, some take longer, only the very simple ones take a little less...and then I iron and iron and iron and trim. At this rate it would me three months just to piece the blocks on a full time basis. Then all the finishing...I do really like these blocks, I know I am going to love this quilt. It just may be hung on the wall when its done! :)
Old 05-01-2010, 01:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by wilhelmina
I like the idea of personalizing the quilt, great idea!

Gee, when paper piecing, it can take me 30 minutes to peel the paper off some of these blocks! I'm at a 2 hours average, start to finish per block, some take longer, only the very simple ones take a little less...and then I iron and iron and iron and trim. At this rate it would me three months just to piece the blocks on a full time basis. Then all the finishing...I do really like these blocks, I know I am going to love this quilt. It just may be hung on the wall when its done! :)
I've got a very good pair of tweezers to get at the stubborn bits of paper. I iron as I go in the construction, so when the paper is off, most of the seams are set, then it's a quick press on the back, a smooth on the front, and a good squirt of Best Press to firm things up a little before trimming to size.

I don't have a wall big enough the hang this quilt .... well that's not quite true, I have one, but it's in the gloomiest part of my hallway. Good for not getting faded, but not so good for looking and enjoying. No, I am determined to sleep under my baby, at least for a while. I will alternate it with my snowflake quilt (my avatar) so that I get a change every so often.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

But Lesley...you will have that beautiful IRR quilt coming home to you also! Your bedroom must be blue and white...I bet its really pretty with that quilt on your bed.