Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 07-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

I print them from the software Elle. The paper is in a tablet 9 x 12...so I trim it to 8 1/2 x 11 to fit through my printer. It works just great.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
OK, I knew you were going to ask me when I wasn't really ready. I have taken two blocks at random rather than ones that are supposed to go together. I am going to use 3/4in sashing, so I cut a length 1 1/4in wide, and I've stitched it on to the edge of the block (1/4in turnings). Then I have done the same with the block next door. Third pic is from the front. (sashing will get trimmed, but I don't want to do it at the moment because this will be coming off, as they aren't the right blocks). From the back, at the moment, there is too much batting, but when I have the right blocks together, I will ttrim them so that they but up close and tack together. Then finally, from the front, I will quilt two lines, 1/4in from each block. The whole lot is only done with batting on the back. Once I have the whole top done, then I will add backing, and quilt in the ditch around each block to hold the backing onto the back. For me, this suits me because I can do all the quilting by hand, a bit at a time, and I'm not going to be handling a large quilt until right at the end, and then it will only be straight quilting lines. I decided that I'm not bothered that my quilting on the blocks won't show on the back.
Thank you. That was the answer I was waiting for. Sounds like a good way to go. I may try this some day. I am still in the quilting through all 3 layers, but with something like Dear Jane, that way makes a lot of sense since the blocks are so small. I will show mine when I get a section done to show. Its really time consuming, but worth it all. I will do it in 3 sections, connect them on the fronts, slip stitch the backs and then bind the whole thing when the sections are connected. I have done this for years and it works well as long as its blocks and rows. Thanks again. I am sure a lot of us will have gotten a lot of useful information from you.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

You are welcome Rhue.

If I may, I would like to go off topic just a bit, as so many of you heard the story of the parachute skirt I was making earlier this year. Remember it had to have a 1.5in hem all around it (18 yards) that took me hours to hand sew. Well, I just got a link for the Performance Art, and it's clear that sausage skins were never anywhere near that hem, and they came up with a different solution. I could have machined a quarter inch hem in a fraction of the time. I especially like the end, LOL. Here is the link:

http://www.blip.tv/file/3876727
Old 07-27-2010, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

I've been waiting impatiently for this one.....hmmm...I think I enjoyed the anticipation more than the "performance".... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: Your work looked great though Lesley!! :lol: :lol:
Old 07-27-2010, 06:18 AM

Wow Lesley, I have to say I felt kind of sorry for the performer at the end, but the skirt looked fabulous!
Old 07-27-2010, 08:55 AM

Interesting Lace! The skirt is beautiful, great job on it. I don't know what she was trying for. Was she suppossed to go airborn or just go in a circle? I think she screwed up on her controls or she would still be going in circles. Thanks for showing us!
Old 07-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

You all missed Elle's comments that she put on my PDA.

"Houston, we have a problem...." I nearly cracked up with that one.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:39 AM

Glad I made you smile, but that was exactly what came into my mind. WHY on earth did she need that skirt and what was the purpose, do you know Lesley???
Old 07-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain

Glad I made you smile, but that was exactly what came into my mind. WHY on earth did she need that skirt and what was the purpose, do you know Lesley???
Absolutly none - I have just said on my PDA that I think that this is how it is in the Art world - weird. I don't profess to know anything about it, and when I occasionally read things about various items of art, to me, it sounds as if the dafter you make the descriptions, the more you can charge for it!

I'm glad I live in the Craft world.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:22 PM

I understand what you mean, I donīt do weird, but the Arts world can be like that.