Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 08-23-2010, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

Not a prob Lesley...I'm trying to get a bit ahead because I have a bunch of fall chores coming up that will take up my time....also because I'm so excited about them..I just can't stop!!

Also...I have a question....or I can go back to your instructions on how to cut the batting etc. to start the QAYG on my blocks...but did you just hold these in your hand...surely you didn't hoop these.did you???? I'm going to try to work through the hand applique ones, then start doing some quilting- you know something for in front of the tube at night. :wink:
Old 08-24-2010, 01:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
Not a prob Lesley...I'm trying to get a bit ahead because I have a bunch of fall chores coming up that will take up my time....also because I'm so excited about them..I just can't stop!!

Also...I have a question....or I can go back to your instructions on how to cut the batting etc. to start the QAYG on my blocks...but did you just hold these in your hand...surely you didn't hoop these.did you???? I'm going to try to work through the hand applique ones, then start doing some quilting- you know something for in front of the tube at night. :wink:
In my case Elle, you can definitely get Ferry Lag!
Patti, I just cut my batting about half an inch bigger all round, and held the block in my hand, it was a doddle in front of the TV - I was getting up to 7 done in an evening, depending on the block of course. Some times I only did 3 or 4, but even at that rate, they pile up very nicely.
As for cutting the batting, I tried doing it with a rotary cutter, but that made a mess with my cutting board, and I discovered that Warm and Natural can be cut up to four layers thick with just dressmaking scissors! Saved me having to clean up all the fuzz on my board.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

OK...I'm just worried that my stitches will be really big if I just hold it in my hand. I'll have to try it to see what happens. Can you tell I get nervous when I'm trying new stuff? I always want it to look like I've been doing it for years when actually its something I'm just learning. No patience...thats me! Thanks for the advice...:D:
Old 08-24-2010, 08:33 AM

I need to order velum or translucent paper for PP. I am looking for someone who ordered from the "Paper Mill Store". Would appreciate info regarding the item that were recommended when we first started our DJs. I know the info is somewhere in these 274 pages, but....... When I look at the Paper Mill web site, there are several options....including UV Ultra II and Glama Natural.
Thanks.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Icandothat
I need to order velum or translucent paper for PP. I am looking for someone who ordered from the "Paper Mill Store". Would appreciate info regarding the item that were recommended when we first started our DJs. I know the info is somewhere in these 274 pages, but....... When I look at the Paper Mill web site, there are several options....including UV Ultra II and Glama Natural.
Thanks.
I just used ordinary photocopy paper - nothing expensive or fancy at all. I stitched with a smaller stitch than the default one, so that it would tear away a bit more easily, and a good pair of tweezers seem to be a necessity to tweak out the odd corners caught at the seam junctions.

Patti, I can get smaller stitches when holding a block in my hands than when in a frame (unless I stab stitch, that is), and don't forget that I quilted my blocks without the backing fabric, so that was one layer less than usual. Give it a try on a scrap of fabric with a bit of batting behind it.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:06 AM

Lesley I tried it with just the batting and it worked great. As you said the stitches were a bit more even and smaller.

They are definately smaller than the ones I am doing at the moment on my Fan quilt.

Elle
Old 08-24-2010, 10:08 AM

Icandothat.... I also used ordinarly copy paper and it worked just fine. As Lesley said use a small stitch and it rips out just fine. Just be sure you donīt leave yourself with a huge amount to do at a time. Rip them out as you go and remember to put the details on the front on a piece of paper so you know hte name and number of your block.
I have a couple of strays, Will have to go look

Elle
Old 08-24-2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by Icandothat
Thanks.
I just used ordinary photocopy paper - nothing expensive or fancy at all. I stitched with a smaller stitch than the default one, so that it would tear away a bit more easily, and a good pair of tweezers seem to be a necessity to tweak out the odd corners caught at the seam junctions.

Patti, I can get smaller stitches when holding a block in my hands than when in a frame (unless I stab stitch, that is), and don't forget that I quilted my blocks without the backing fabric, so that was one layer less than usual. Give it a try on a scrap of fabric with a bit of batting behind it.
Thank you....I love your quilt.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Icandothat.... I also used ordinarly copy paper and it worked just fine. As Lesley said use a small stitch and it rips out just fine. Just be sure you donīt leave yourself with a huge amount to do at a time. Rip them out as you go and remember to put the details on the front on a piece of paper so you know hte name and number of your block.
I have a couple of strays, Will have to go look

Elle
Thank you, Elle.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:54 AM

I just used the cheapest copy paper that Walmart sells and used a very small stitch like the other ladies did and had no problem tearing the paper away from it. I also tore the paper off right after making the block. Better than having piles of them to do.