Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 10-06-2010, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Oh WWaaahhhhhhh! You can't just drop a bomb like that then waltzy off! You are doing a mag. shoot??? For who???? Long article along with quilt photos??? The whole story??? Congrats on it...sounds exciting...now we'll have to wait for your "Chapter 2" I guess. You know its hard for a girl to only have part of the info!

I think your Jane has a perfect name. I don't know how you are concentrating on finishing it with all this other going on..great job!
Oh, Patti - 8 years ago, I had to learn to be patient. In a prison, nothing happens quickly unless it's an emergency. Even then, response isn't instant.

Chapter - the magazine is "Quilter's ....." Stay tuned for the next exciting episode when more of the mystery is unveiled.

Actually, there isn't all that much happening with this article. The editor & I have been emailing back & forth since August. Our corporate offices have had to be involved - we needed their blessing (and got it!) I was interviewed by phone last Wednesday. Today, our Public Information Officer & I are doing the photo shoot. We will email the editor and attach the pictures. The editors will select the ones they want. If they need more, they'll let us know.

I only got excited yesterday when I revealed to the inmates that this was going to happen today. Those little busy bees have been thinking about all sorts of photos. I passed out a questionnaire as this magazine wants quotes & comments by the inmates. Press releases will need to be signed by the inmates if their faces are shown. Some probably don't want to be seen & I'm fine with that. We won't be using names, just initials - anonymity you know. I'm looking to contrast the grayness of the prison with the colorfulness of the quilts. This should be an interesting, if not fun morning!

The name came to me last night while I was fidgiting and not getting anything done. I guess I can't be doing something and thinking about something else!
Old 10-06-2010, 03:58 AM

Thanks, Elle. Glad to see you back from holiday.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:53 AM

Well girls all that leading up to the show in Spain and then looking forward to my holiday has really had a downer on my sewing, I need a good kick up the whatsit to get me going again.

Think I will print out the corners for the quilt and see if that inspires me again, just something different to get going if you know what I mean.

Elle
Old 10-06-2010, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

Kathy..ya' know I'm just ribbin' you :D: Actually I'm really excited for you. Thats such a great program and I know you enjoy it so much that its fun to have the recognition for it. It sounds so interesting. Have fun with the photo shoot today!

Elle...need for me to send you a virtual kick in the trousers???? :wink:....((((((GET GOIN' GIRL!!!!!)))))) there, did that help? I've done the TLC...so you need to get busy :lol:
Old 10-06-2010, 06:14 AM

Well it did help a bit Patti. I have a question though. How big are those corners for the quilt. I thought maybe 8" x 8".

There is one there called BLC Goshen that looks like a real horror and TRC Longwood is not much better.

See I printed some out so thats a step in the right direction.

I shall knuckle down on Tuesday at the club and get going again.

Elle
Old 10-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Power Poster

Yes Elle, the corners are 8 x 8, but just click on "size from quilt". That will get you there. Those are tough looking, but I don't think they will really be as hard as they look. The one with the stars..just applique the stars on when you finish the pp'ing. I did the TLC using the old English PP method. That was a new technique for me..not too hard though. You'll do just fine with all of them.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Well it did help a bit Patti. I have a question though. How big are those corners for the quilt. I thought maybe 8" x 8".

There is one there called BLC Goshen that looks like a real horror and TRC Longwood is not much better.

See I printed some out so thats a step in the right direction.

I shall knuckle down on Tuesday at the club and get going again.

Elle
I measured the pattern for those corners and they are 11 1/4" (286mm) x 7 3/4 (197mm).

The worst one - Bottom Left - has 75 pieces, the Top Right has 56, Top Left has 30, and the Bottom Right has 18 pieces. I pieced in all the stars, no applique as those points are a little too slender for my comfort zone in applique. Now, paper-piecing - that's another story.

Photo shoot went really well. Can't wait to see everything in print in "Quilter's...."

Love you guys!!!
Old 10-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

Kathy...I can't wait to see it in print either..when you finally tell us what mag :lol: so glad to hear the shoot went well. :D:

Elle, Kathy is measuring the corners differently from how the software measures them. To be safe though..just click the "size from quilt" box. I think that Lesley said she appliqued the stars, but the do have those really sharp small points. Man, Kathy...I hadn't counted the pieces..thats alot..but we CAN do them! :lol:
Old 10-06-2010, 07:18 PM

I measured from the points. The book doesn't have any info on size other than the blocks finish at 4 1/2" and there are 1/2" sashings between all the blocks and 1/4" sashings around the outside edges. There is no info on the scallops - not even a pattern. I am planning on adding aqbout 4" all around for a border that will become the scallops. I'm thinking I may alter the corner scallops as I don't really like the "nipple" effect that the original has. I think a nice, gentle curve will do quite nicely.

Yup, lots of pieces - teeny, tiny pieces - lots of 'em! ☺ And I hanb pieced 'em all. Will really be glad to get these last 2 finished. Not much stitching tonight either. Wednesdays are "WalMart after work" nights. By the time I get home, I'm pooped. Something simple for dinner and off to put feet up and chill.

I guess I'm going to have to start subscribing to Quilter's Home Magazine.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:25 PM

Thanks Kathy and Patti. I will have a look and see what size mine printed out at but thanks for all the info. That star one looks like a LOT of fun (not) anyway it will be a good test ha ha.

There are scallops Kathy in the software. Where the corner points are further along are the scallops, two different ones I just looked briefly though.

Well will have to subscribe to that mag as well so that I can show off and tell my friends "Thats one of my friends on the Quilting board" smug ass that I am LOL