Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 02-14-2011, 02:23 AM
Power Poster

What I did was bast the edges of the scallops within the turning allowance, then I cut them out. After that, I sewed on the binding as it seemed much easier to me to line it up with a cut edge than a drawn line. Just me, I guess.

Patti, I am pretty sure I had two yards for binding, because I wanted as few seams as I could get away with. I cut the longest diagonal I could, then carried on doing that along the length. I used the whole of the left over triangle at the beginning for my cornerstones, and I think I cut about 10 strips for binding (two for each side and two spare) The left overs went into my stash. I'm sorry I'm a bit vague, I wish I had made a better note of it to help you all out - I think excitement at being so close to finishing got in the way.

Happy Valentines Day
[ATTACH=CONFIG]138088[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-138083.jpe  
Old 02-14-2011, 05:52 AM

Go Jan you are doing famously.

Patti you will soon be finished well done you. on the last round up so to speak, you sure are going to miss Jane.

I got my sewing machine back form the hospital today and she is going well again. will start doing the QITD on the machine with my special look alike hand quilting stitch.

Happy Valentines to all of you out there.

Elle
Old 02-14-2011, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Oh good Elle...glad your machine is behaving now! You'll at least be able to sew tomorrow when you can't go to sewing day...or maybe you'll be out of your appt. so quickly that you can still go.

Thanks Lesley and Kathy...I think I will do the baste around, then cut..then sew the binding on. I tend to do better matching the cut edge also. I've never done scallops before and hope dealing with the innie corners won't be too much trouble.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
Oh good Elle...glad your machine is behaving now! You'll at least be able to sew tomorrow when you can't go to sewing day...or maybe you'll be out of your appt. so quickly that you can still go.

Thanks Lesley and Kathy...I think I will do the baste around, then cut..then sew the binding on. I tend to do better matching the cut edge also. I've never done scallops before and hope dealing with the innie corners won't be too much trouble.
I didn't find machine round those corners as awkward as I thought they would be, but when it came to the hand stitching on the back, I had thought they would just fall into a nice pleat. The didn't 'fall' into it, but I was able to push and shove so they did have a nice pleat. Only trouble was they didn't stay that way, so in the end, I stitched them in place as I went along.

(A few spaced stitches from back to front over the edge, then returning to stitch in between the first ones until I got to where I had left off at the back.) It took forever, but those little pleats aren't going anywhere now.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

Ladies...I found a chart to tell you what size block to cut for your continuous bias binding.....here it is...
http://www.oregoncoastalquilters.org...e.html#yardage
Old 02-14-2011, 10:27 AM

Thanks for that Patti, interesting how they can work it all out for you. Just got my DJ back into one whole piece again. So will tell you how I get on with the QITD.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:28 PM

Thanks Patti, I saved the instructions.

Way to go Elle!! You are almost home free!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:59 PM
Power Poster

Elle, you go girl!

I am ready to make my binding now but we are being wishy washy about
Which color to use. For now, we are going to sleep on it. The next
Issue I decided to worry about is how to join the binding ends when
doing scallops.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
Elle, you go girl!

I am ready to make my binding now but we are being wishy washy about
Which color to use. For now, we are going to sleep on it. The next
Issue I decided to worry about is how to join the binding ends when
doing scallops.
Aim to avoid the end arriving in the diip of the scallop, and not right at the top of the scallop either, so somewhere on the 'side' of the curve. If I get a minute, I'll go and look to see where mine is and take a pic of it, if I can find it.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

Thats a good idea Lesley. I was thinking though...I usually do the "sew to within about 10-12", then wrestle it in place, sew the binding together on the diagonal and then sew it to the quilt", so..you know when its just straight, its easy to figure out how long that section needs to be, but on the scallops..how will I do that? I'll have to go see if I can find a youtube maybe...