Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 01-16-2011, 03:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
Many thanks ya'll...I finished that kite today and worked to the end of that spreadsheet. I'm counting the scallops as only 4 pieces and mine will finish up at 5439 pieces. If I do the scallops as individuals, that will add 48 to that total. I remember doing several of the tris as one background piece instead of piecing it. Seems like an awful lot of pieces, but still less than Jane by quite a few!
I just looked at mine, and I have 5549 pieces - but my scallops were individual, even down to the little bumps on the corners.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
I guess I get bored easily. Sometimes I don't feel like working on a particular quilt, so I always have lots of WIPs. They all do eventually get finished, though.

Does Sweetie have the stitch regulator? What is the largest quilt you've quilted with her so far? I'm thinking that she might be better for me than a stand-up version.
So far, about 60in square, but my next one will be an 86in one for my daughter. No, I don't have a stitch regulator, but I was quite good at FMQ before I got my Bernina that did have one. Also, with Sweetie, it is possible to dial in a speed that you want to work at, then all you do is put your foot flat down on the pedal. Obviously you can still slow up by lifting your foot, but when fully down, to your chosen speed, all you have to do is move the quilt at a regular pace. Its possible to dial in three different speeds at one time, and she remembers what speed I was using the last time I did any work.

Things to think about. No needle up lever, and no feed dogs (don't need either). It does have a needle up, needle down setting, and that can be changed by tapping the screen, or tapping the foot pedal. So far, it has taken cotton, poly cotton and rayon all without needing any tensions changes, also with same thread on the bobbins, or bottom line (much thinner) thread on the bobbins, so I have been really impressed with that. Don't forget that it comes with a seriously big seperate bobbin winder that will wind two bobbins at the same time if you want it to. It also has a dial that once you have it sussed, it will stop winding when the bobbin is full.

So far, I haven't gone beyond 50% of the available speed (she stitches at up to 1500 per min) because that is how comfortable I am at moving the quilt under the needle. It's brilliant at having the space to puddle a nice big area so that I can have quite a bit of movement before I have to stop and shift to a different area. I am really loving it so far.

Can you tell I really like it? LOL.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

I'll have to decide on exactly how I want to do the scallops when I get there. I'm terrible about not making a decision until I'm right on top of that part. So far though, so good.

You GO Jan! I still have that appliqued one to do. I'll finish stitching my batting together (by hand) tonight, so then I'll start on the last kite. I have the other 3 here in a pile and I'm thinking that I shouldn't quilt them until I have the borders sewn together and the batting all stitched. I think these will need to be sewn on "unquilted"..I need to think about that a little more.

Lesley :lol: Sweetied is really happy that you like her. Someday, I'll have to sit in the store and try one out...but I'm afraid that I'll be sorry!! :lol:
Old 01-16-2011, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
I'll have to decide on exactly how I want to do the scallops when I get there. I'm terrible about not making a decision until I'm right on top of that part. So far though, so good.

You GO Jan! I still have that appliqued one to do. I'll finish stitching my batting together (by hand) tonight, so then I'll start on the last kite. I have the other 3 here in a pile and I'm thinking that I shouldn't quilt them until I have the borders sewn together and the batting all stitched. I think these will need to be sewn on "unquilted"..I need to think about that a little more.

Lesley :lol: Sweetied is really happy that you like her. Someday, I'll have to sit in the store and try one out...but I'm afraid that I'll be sorry!! :lol:
What you really mean is that your bank account might be sorry, but I am willing to bet that you wouldn't! Now if all those cows of yours had twins instead of singles, you would be halfway there to getting a Sweetie of your very own.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:15 PM

Hey guys, Tada! I finished the last kite!!! It turned out to be my very favorite one of all. I used the 'that quilt' tute. If you haven't already posted the last week Patti, would you like me to?
Old 01-16-2011, 02:30 PM

I went ahead and posted it Patti. Sorry, I couldn't wait! Excitement flows around here!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I'll start cutting out some W and N blocks to start hand quilting. I'm studying everything you guys have done. It's looking a little bit complicated on the tri borders and scallops. But, I'm one excited person right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2011, 02:35 PM

Patti, Your Chocolate Jane is beauuuutifulllll!!!! The dark brown grounds the quilt and adds a richness to the overall look. Love it!!! :thumbup:

I have been busy at work and with other projects...but have two more kites to go. :D
Old 01-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Janstar
I went ahead and posted it Patti. Sorry, I couldn't wait! Excitement flows around here!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I'll start cutting out some W and N blocks to start hand quilting. I'm studying everything you guys have done. It's looking a little bit complicated on the tri borders and scallops. But, I'm one excited person right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congratulations Jan - a big well done to you. I'm going to look at your post now.

And Meredith, you are hovering on the brink of finishing too - suddenly there seem to be several of you, well done.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:58 PM

Thanks Lesley!!! I'm sure I'll be coming to you for help before I finish!
Old 01-16-2011, 04:11 PM

I must have posted wrong on week 59 it went on BOM which I thought was correct but it didn't go on JSCBP. If you could fix it or delete it Patti go ahead.