Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 54 of 247 FirstFirst ... 4 44 53 54 55 64 104 154 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 6168

Thread: [DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Blog Entries
    I like the idea of a DJ quilting board blog, and any publicity is a good thing, isn't it - it might keep us all going strong.
    I am jubilantat the moment, the postie brought my background fabric today! I was beginning to wonder if I wouldn't be able to start with everyone and would be playing catch up for ever. I might even be able to make a block or two, just to try it before the official starting day!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    I like the idea of a DJ quilting board blog, and any publicity is a good thing, isn't it - it might keep us all going strong.
    I am jubilantat the moment, the postie brought my background fabric today! I was beginning to wonder if I wouldn't be able to start with everyone and would be playing catch up for ever. I might even be able to make a block or two, just to try it before the official starting day!
    i would take the blog off of this site. we wouldn't be getting any additional traffic by keeping it here.

the people who come to this site that wish to follow along already know how to do so.

the idea would be to generate new interest and traffic.

I like the idea of a blog. I don't know if you have a favourite blog site / software already, but I highly recommend WordPress (http://www.wordpress.com/) It's free, you can have multiple accounts for one blog (i.e. you can have multiple authors who are allowed to post or contribute), and you get 3 gigabytes of file storage (thatís about 2,500 pictures) with a free account. Also they have really good "hit tracking" stats, which would help if we're trying to generate media interest (we can tell them how many hit the blog gets per day/week/month/etc.)

Jan

Banned
    i'm with you on wordpress.

what does everyone think about getting our own domain or should we piggyback onto an already existing blog site like blogspot.

if we go for owning our own domain what names do you think we should use.

just remember it can't be Dear Jane in the title - it can say jane but nothing about dear & jane combined.

Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    i'm with you on wordpress.

just remember it can't be Dear Jane in the title - it can say jane but nothing about dear & jane combined.
    Can we use the term "Baby Janes" ?

Something like "Our Baby Janes" ourbabyjanes or our_baby_janes ?

Jan

I think we should have our own domain name, and get away from the blogspot stuff. I have a blog on my own domain name and it's only $9.69 a year to own it!

Power Poster
    The author of the Dear Jane book referred to the quilts inspired by the Jane A. Stickle book as "baby janes"

so that may also be "off limits"

How about something like

QBB's Cyber Journey with Jane...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazen
    I think we should have our own domain name, and get away from the blogspot stuff. I have a blog on my own domain name and it's only $9.69 a year to own it!
    yes, its cheap thats why its something we could totally do.

the downside to owning it is all the admin work falls onto us.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Esqmommy
    How about something like

QBB's Cyber Journey with Jane...
    i'm assuming QBB refers to this forum - my concerns with having a connection with this place in the title is

1) admin here has a vested interest merely by using the name. this will allow him to voice issues, good or bad, about what we can and can not say and do on the blog.

2) others places (quilt shops, magazines, other blogs/forums) might be hesitant to promote us since QBB would have such a large footprint on the blog. it really wouldn't leave much room for others to sponsor/assist in any way.

I have a friend who does this web work as her job... and she's also a quilter/crafter/great person. I'm preeeeeeeeeetty sure if I mention this project to her, she would get us in line and off the ground.

Banned
    i'm well versed in running a website and a forum and i'm sure other people involved in this project are too.

it doesn't suck up a lot of time but its still something that we have to deal with from time to time.

I have a question will we still post and follow on this site or would we have to go to another site as well as this one. If I get too involved I won't get any quilting done. My sister and a school class friend are after me to be on facebook. I don't have time or rather I don't want to make the time. Just keeping up with this board is sometimes taxing. Like most of you I have a full time job plus a long commute each day, animals to care for, lessons to prepare (teach a children's Sunday class and an adult class) and the list goes on and any free time I have I want to spend quilting. Your idea is great, don't get me wrong, I'm just hoping the meat of the party stays on this board. I'll be your cheering section.

Then how about "The Cyber Jane Project" - no connection to anyone!

I like the Cyber Jane title too.

I agree with a "stand alone" page, but either in blogspot or on it's own website is fine. Both will require some administration, but klue can always get a couple of people to help her.

It won't be like this thread, with questions, general chatter, and bouncing of ideas, etc. It will be more of a journal, with those who want to doing an entry every now and then about how they're going. This thread would still be here, and still be used a lot.

i'm well versed in running a website and a forum and i'm sure other people involved in this project are too.

it doesn't suck up a lot of time but its still something that we have to deal with from time to time.
    I'm very happy to help out with that end of things. Back in a former life, I used to program websites for a living...

Jan

Once it's going, the biggest time sucker would be moderating the comments (if they're enabled). I'd be happy to help too, anything to make Klue's life a bit easier, seeing as this baby of hers keeps growing and growing! lol

I work 10 1/2 hour days. I do at least get to peek at whats going on every once in a while. I will no longer have access at work if we change to a blog spot we are blocked. I am just afraid I will miss a lot that way since I can only check it at home and because of my hours I am not here much anyway. Well please keep updates on the decision so I can find you.
    Cher

I don't think anyone wants to take away from what we are doing on the board...we know this will be fun to watch for more than just our group. A blog is merely another format to put our musings in, and they will likely be in a prettier format that we can add photos to, etc.

I don't think anyone wants to take away from what we are doing on the board...we know this will be fun to watch for more than just our group. A blog is merely another format to put our musings in, and they will likely be in a prettier format that we can add photos to, etc.
    That's what concerns me, people will post somewhere else beside here. Some may not want to post in 2 places. Say they like the place better than this and they post there instead. To keep up we would have to go to 2 places instead. Maybe I'm just not seeing the whole picture. I don't blog, don't want to blog. Again that's just more time at the "puter" instead of the machine.

Blog Entries
    International Cyber Jane Project?

That might get more interest because of the around the world context.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    International Cyber Jane Project?

That might get more interest because of the around the world context.
    thats the name!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    We are the coolest bunch ever!! :-)

It's a huge thrill knowing that we'll all be working at the same time on the same project. It must be some kind of record, surely. ;-)
    Okay guys, my former PR days are twinkling...I think we ought to interest a magazine into writing an article about this..wouldn't that be fun. We should wait until we are a little further into it, but I think we could get some press...I'll bet they'll put KLue's photo in the article as well as some of our blocks. I think it would be a cool piece, don't you think?
    oh, i think a bunch of magazines would be willing to write about it.

we might even be able to get quilts shows and museums to put them on display.

i think it would make an awesome show that could travel around the globe. the quilts don't have to be show stoppers for people to have interest - just the fact that a group got together over the internet and made 66 janes in 18 months will bring the public in to check them out.
    I think this is an excellent idea! That said, I think there are a few things we would need to find out before we send off our quilts to anyone to show, especially LQSs. I hate to be a downer but there are questions we really should ask, such as... Where will the quilts be displayed? Would they be where anyone can finger them or would they be "Display Only"? Who pays for the shipping? (Likely us, which is fine by me.) Will they be insured while being shown? If damaged, who pays for the repairs? Different people will have different ideas on what is acceptable and what is not. I know I would NOT want to send my quilt to someone who believes it is nice if everyone can finger it and have a "hands on" approach. I've seen horrible things happen in quilt shops to quilts on display. One was even stabbed a couple times with scissors because a mother couldn't keep her child in check and allowed him to run around the store by himself. I've seen quilts with water damage, ripped from how they were displayed (hanging over a door and shutting the door is NOT the proper way to display a quilt!), and various other problems. I've even seen quilts that have become faded where the sun shined through the store windows. After putting in many long hours and over a year to make this quilt, I'm afraid I'm going to be a bit particular about how it is displayed and who is allowed to handle it. JMO.

I would love to be a part of a large Blog on our Baby Janes. :thumbup: I like the International Cyber Jane Project name, but for those who are not familiar with quilting, or even those who are but don't recognize the name Jane, I think we will loose those people because they'll never check us out. Can we add "Quilt" in there somewhere?

Banned
    this is kinda my thinking about the overview of the endeavor

1) the nuts and bolts of the project stay on this forum - tutes, pics, chatter.

2) the blog is a supplement to what we do here. the objective is to get outside parties interested in the project in the hopes of "fabric & notions" type support for the people who are having a hard time. i'm good (i purchased everything i need months ago) if i can convince people to help i will let everyone know and we can get the fabric out to the people who need it.

everyone who feels comfortable can and should try to get contacts interested to.

3) the blog will be open to everyone who's in this project but they would not be required to do a post.

it would be nice if everyone involved did just one post - that would take us 66 weeks to achieve just one post from all.

4) posts on the blog can be about what ever you like just try to keep it related to quilting or jane in some way.

5) i'll try to figure out some way for all of us to be able to post our jane block pics but worse case we can use a photosite and have a link to that.

so there you go - everyone express thoughts likes/dislikes/concerns.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    We are the coolest bunch ever!! :-)

It's a huge thrill knowing that we'll all be working at the same time on the same project. It must be some kind of record, surely. ;-)
    Okay guys, my former PR days are twinkling...I think we ought to interest a magazine into writing an article about this..wouldn't that be fun. We should wait until we are a little further into it, but I think we could get some press...I'll bet they'll put KLue's photo in the article as well as some of our blocks. I think it would be a cool piece, don't you think?
    oh, i think a bunch of magazines would be willing to write about it.

we might even be able to get quilts shows and museums to put them on display.

i think it would make an awesome show that could travel around the globe. the quilts don't have to be show stoppers for people to have interest - just the fact that a group got together over the internet and made 66 janes in 18 months will bring the public in to check them out.
    I think this is an excellent idea! That said, I think there are a few things we would need to find out before we send off our quilts to anyone to show, especially LQSs. I hate to be a downer but there are questions we really should ask, such as... Where will the quilts be displayed? Would they be where anyone can finger them or would they be "Display Only"? Who pays for the shipping? (Likely us, which is fine by me.) Will they be insured while being shown? If damaged, who pays for the repairs? Different people will have different ideas on what is acceptable and what is not. I know I would NOT want to send my quilt to someone who believes it is nice if everyone can finger it and have a "hands on" approach. I've seen horrible things happen in quilt shops to quilts on display. One was even stabbed a couple times with scissors because a mother couldn't keep her child in check and allowed him to run around the store by himself. I've seen quilts with water damage, ripped from how they were displayed (hanging over a door and shutting the door is NOT the proper way to display a quilt!), and various other problems. I've even seen quilts that have become faded where the sun shined through the store windows. After putting in many long hours and over a year to make this quilt, I'm afraid I'm going to be a bit particular about how it is displayed and who is allowed to handle it. JMO.

I would love to be a part of a large Blog on our Baby Janes. :thumbup: I like the International Cyber Jane Project name, but for those who are not familiar with quilting, or even those who are but don't recognize the name Jane, I think we will loose those people because they'll never check us out. Can we add "Quilt" in there somewhere?
    yes, these are fairly common things that get negotiated.

i have a contract and guidelines that must be met for me to release a quilt for display.

if people are willing to let their quilts be displayed they too should decide on those conditions and if the shop can not abide by them don't send your quilt.

yes, the word quilt can be added to the title of the blog.

Page 54 of 247 FirstFirst ... 4 44 53 54 55 64 104 154 ... LastLast